Spoilers for Tuesday 14 October

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Spoilers for Tuesday 14 October

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

Game 1: equalled panel with BIGOTED.

2nd numbers game: alternative 10 x 9 x 2 - (6/6) = 179.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday 14 October

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Is POOFIEST in round 4 OK? I kicked their arses today so Charlie should have no problem.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Is POOFIEST in round 4 OK?
Jono and I asked the same question in the studio, but I don't think we ever bothered to check. OOFIEST is okay for 7.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I kicked their arses today so Charlie should have no problem.
Yeah, Fr.John had better make the most of that champion's chair while it lasts!
DaveC
Acolyte

Post by DaveC »

POOFIEST is good. I saw it too but thought it was a bit risky to play.

Finally managed to not fall for "helixes". The plural of HELIX is HELICES oddly enough.

DC
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

Helixes is a valid alternative to helices according to my dictionary.

Cheers
Keith
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Keith Bevins wrote:Helixes is a valid alternative to helices according to my dictionary.

Cheers
Keith
Not according to ODE sadly. Bit like RADIX and RADICES. It's not odd.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

See, that thing Carol did with RAIMENT(s) today is exactly what I was on about in my recap the other day. She practically gave both contestants an 8. Which, oddly, neither accepted :?

Fair enough laugh at POO and BUM when it comes out, but don't point out potential round winners :x
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Maybe a bit harsh!
Last edited by Matthew Green on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matthew Green wrote:I bet that priest was more interested in Kai than the game eh? :mrgreen:
:D pmsl
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Keith Bevins wrote:Helixes is a valid alternative to helices according to my dictionary.

Cheers
Keith
Not according to ODE sadly. Bit like RADIX and RADICES. It's not odd.
Yeah, I wondered about HELIXES myself but as Kirk says the ODE only stipulates HELICES.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matthew Green wrote:Maybe a bit harsh!
Well I've quoted it and it's staying there ;)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kai finished his octochamp run at the end of a filming block, so John and I never got to meet him.

Not that I laughed at the above any less...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:See, that thing Carol did with RAIMENT(s) today is exactly what I was on about in my recap the other day. She practically gave both contestants an 8. Which, oddly, neither accepted :?

Fair enough laugh at POO and BUM when it comes out, but don't point out potential round winners :x
It is annoying. I was wondering about RAIMENTS - is the plural allowed? Isn't it a mass noun?
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Hmm, big change in the studio atmosphere following Kai's departure, and having a schoolmarmish contestant (she could have cracked a smile when offering a word which was almost spelt out, ffs) and a schoolmarmish DC guest didn't help. I kind of wondered, on the few occasions when the audience laughed, whether it was because they were too scared not to... all in all, perhaps not the funnest ( :) ) 'conditions' for Charlie's debut, but I'm sure he'll do well. I didn't think POOFIEST would be good, but at least I resisted the temptation to go for HELIXES.

Am more inclined to agree with Corby now; Carol shouldn't've pointed out an 8-letter word there. Gevin: RAIMENT is a mass noun, but the dictionary also specifies the alternative RAIMENTS, both meaning clothing, so it's all right.

Also surprised that no-one's commented on Father John's not being allowed to have the word he didn't say he hadn't written down... I thought the usual (unwritten) rule was to let a contestant off once for such things (as happened to David Stainer in series 47) but maybe it changed during the time I stopped watching.

Oh and if a burglar can indeed sue the property owner for injuries sustained during a break-in, Ms Widdecombe, then it's nothing to do with the EU or the Human Rights Act, it's English tort law... but hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good bigoted rant, will you
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julian Fell wrote: Also surprised that no-one's commented on Father John's not being allowed to have the word he didn't say he hadn't written down... I thought the usual (unwritten) rule was to let a contestant off once for such things (as happened to David Stainer in series 47) but maybe it changed during the time I stopped watching.
The rule is now in big nasty letters in the Rules thing they send you, so no more excuses. Which is a good thing, I think, even though it was a bit mean in this case.
Julian Fell wrote:don't let the facts get in the way of a good bigoted rant, will you
There's plenty more where that came from!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
It is annoying. I was wondering about RAIMENTS - is the plural allowed? Isn't it a mass noun?
I got it, and looked it up to check, since it wasn't mentioned. RAIMENTS is specified.
Charlie Reams wrote:Kai finished his octochamp run at the end of a filming block, so John and I never got to meet him.
Ooooh! I gather from this, and other mentions on the forum today, that you're a contestant in today's game, Charlie! :D 8-)
You've kept that quiet, or I've simply missed the references. I'd have watched it 'live' on transmission if I'd known. Hope you did well - don't see why not.
I've got to go and cook dinner for my kids, but I'll try to watch it 'on demand' as soon as. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Just caught the repeat of this this morning. I imagine a few people had max games (or nearly). I only missed POOFIEST and DEBATES (would've risked BASKETED). Recap coming up later today cos my home keyboard's a bit screwy atm. Also I will miss Charlie's 3rd game as I'm in labs later :x

Dinos