Spoilers For Monday May 13th 2013

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday May 13th 2013

Post by James Robinson »

So, Countdown is back on our telly!! :D :D :D But, like last week, it'll only be on today and tomorrow again. :( :cry:

Our new champion is Ian Burn, who will require 4 more wins to guarantee his place in the finals.

In DC, it's a 50/50 split, as Gyles Brandreth concludes his what seemed to be an eternity stint, before Janet Street-Porter returns tomorrow for the start of her 3rd stint.

Graeme will be recapping later. ;) :) :D
szodiac
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers For Monday May 13th 2013

Post by szodiac »

Just thought I'd catch up on half of Pointless on Challenge before I watch Countdown today. Hey-ho James is on!! (Repeated tonight on Challenge at 7.00pm)

Mauro
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

MERINGUE as a DC beater in round 1.

Edit: This one wasn't mine, but DOPIAZAS for a tasty eight in round 2. Might have some for dinner tonight. Yum.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Mixed feelings about today's game, thought the standard was quite low from the contestants there, and the rounds didn't produce very high scoring (ie there were no 9s and there were some pretty difficult numbers) but at times it was a good back and forth contest and that was quite enjoyable to watch.

OPALISES scrabble valid I presume?
Nina Boyd
Rookie

Post by Nina Boyd »

georgics was there (can't remember which round) for 8.
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Andy Platt wrote:Mixed feelings about today's game, thought the standard was quite low from the contestants there, and the rounds didn't produce very high scoring (ie there were no 9s and there were some pretty difficult numbers) but at times it was a good back and forth contest and that was quite enjoyable to watch.

No actually, OPALISED only, not even OPALISE - SPOLIATES was the Scrabble 9 in that round !! I'd have submitted PISTOLES.
Neither was DECOATED a Scrabble word either. When Ian could not spot RETAINS plus an R in round 5 I knew he was in trouble !
Got Jessica's favourite SENORITA in the JOINTERS round.
DOPIAZOS and DAZIBAO were tough spots and there was GEORGICS in the SOGGIER round!

Hard luck Ian. Not happy when Nick said in the introduction "Yesterday he (Ian) beat Richard Izzard..."

Mauro

ps back to France 3 and Des Chiffres... and Harry :-)
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

szodiac wrote: Got Jessica's favourite SENORITA in the JOINTERS round.
SENORITA was valid in ODE2r, but no longer valid in ODE3, I'm afraid.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Andy Platt wrote:Mixed feelings about today's game, thought the standard was quite low from the contestants there, and the rounds didn't produce very high scoring (ie there were no 9s and there were some pretty difficult numbers) but at times it was a good back and forth contest and that was quite enjoyable to watch.

I thought the standard was quite reasonable. A back and forth game as you say which made it a lowish scoring game but it didn't seem any different to the normal standard for the show.

2nd numbers: (50+25+9-10)x8+5 = 597
3rd numbers: (50+(8x4)+10-9)x8 = 664
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

I was BEMUSED by Nick's yawn during the clock in round 4! Must have been a late recording! :shock: