Spoilers For Bank Holiday Monday May 6th 2013

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Bank Holiday Monday May 6th 2013

Post by James Robinson »

So, this could be a momentous day in the history of Countdown.

The über-popular Eileen Taylor is just hours away from becoming the oldest octochamp in the show's 30 and a half year history. Whatever, the result she will maintain her #3 spot on the table, but I'm sure we'd all like to her reach the promised land of octochampdom, but after fading badly at the end of Friday's show, is it possibly a step to far today.................. :?: :?: :? :?

Gyles Brandreth remains in DC for the rest of the week, because these next 2 weeks are going to see a mega-Countdown drought :!: :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :o :o

For this week and next week, Countdown will only be on air on Monday and Tuesday, because of the horse racing. :shock: :o :( :cry:

And worse than that, that mean Robinson Recaps for ages :!: :!: :!: :!: :o :o :o :o

Never mind, but Graeme will give us a more than welcome recap later on. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers For Bank Holiday Monday May 6th 2013

Post by Johnny Canuck »

How many prelims is this series going to end up having, anyway :?: My bet is 18. :roll:

Do we even know if there are going to be quarter-finals (see Series 45)?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Johnny Canuck wrote:How many prelims is this series going to end up having, anyway :?: My bet is 18. :roll:

Do we even know if there are going to be quarter-finals (see Series 45)?
Yes, there are definitely quarter-finals, it's not been that small a series :!: :!:

In terms of prelims, it'll probably be near 65 or so, which would be the fewest for a 15-round series, with the exception of Series 46, which only had 60 prelims.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I think S68 really can't be compared with the other 15-rounders, bearing in mind that we've had a format change.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:The über-popular Eileen Taylor is just hours away from becoming the oldest octochamp in the show's 30 and a half year history.
Was that even established?

Edit - Is this all we're going by?
Innis Carson wrote:CDB says that John Hunt was 69, so he must be a likely candidate for oldest.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
James Robinson wrote:The über-popular Eileen Taylor is just hours away from becoming the oldest octochamp in the show's 30 and a half year history.
Was that even established?

Edit - Is this all we're going by?
Innis Carson wrote:CDB says that John Hunt was 69, so he must be a likely candidate for oldest.
It was said at the end of Friday's show that she would be, if she won today.

I think Nick said she was 74, could be wrong, but it was said on Friday's show. :D
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:I think S68 really can't be compared with the other 15-rounders, bearing in mind that we've had a format change.
You could argue the same for S46, as that was quite a dramatic change, going from 9 to 15 rounders :!: :!:
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Does anyone know how many preliminaries are scheduled for the rest of the series then?

Damian told me on the phone that June was pretty cut up cos of horse racing too (that's why we're filming 6 shows on the 15th May) - all I know is that the final is on the 28th of June, broadcast wise. We probably only have time for 2 or 3 more people after Eileen to make the finals and I've been trying to work it out but it's not easy
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

James Robinson wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:I think S68 really can't be compared with the other 15-rounders, bearing in mind that we've had a format change.
You could argue the same for S46, as that was quite a dramatic change, going from 9 to 15 rounders :!: :!:
Mid-series. :roll:
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

And it's now official. Well done to Eileen for becoming an octochamp, very well deserved. Also nice to see Sohail solve the conundrum in the audience, one of my favorite contestants from last series.

(I initially put favorite non-apterite contestant of the last series, but apparently he is one according to Robbo's recaps and I never knew. Never mind.)
Last edited by Jordan F on Mon May 06, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Delighted for Eileen who has been great to watch and a worthy octochamp. It's a shame about her late collapse on Friday as if she'd avoided that, she could have got close to 800. Still a very solid total though (754 or something I think). Hopefully Penelope will stop complaining now. :D :lol:

INDENTOR for a beater in round 13.
Peter Fenton
Rookie

Post by Peter Fenton »

James Robinson wrote:So, this could be a momentous day in the history of Countdown.

The über-popular Eileen Taylor is just hours away from becoming the oldest octochamp in the show's 30 and a half year history. Whatever, the result she will maintain her #3 spot on the table, but I'm sure we'd all like to her reach the promised land of octochampdom, but after fading badly at the end of Friday's show, is it possibly a step to far today.................. :?: :?: :? :?
I think that's a pretty emphatic no from Eileen there! Close to her best with that performance and nice to round off her brilliant run with another century.

On another point, it might just be me imagining it but there seems to have be quite a few occasions this series where the challenger has either spotted a phantom letter or drawn a blank on the numbers in early rounds (or both as in today's show). I can only guess this is due to nerves/getting used to playing in the new environment that causes this. Does anyone else think that there is a case for giving contestants a few practice rounds before going live with the real thing? Being as you're usually sat in the chair waiting for about 20 minutes not doing much anyway, then it would seem to make sense to use this time productively. You could even get Dudley doing the letters and numbers :D
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jordan F wrote:And it's now official. Well done to Eileen for becoming an octochamp, very well deserved. Also nice to see Sohail solve the conundrum in the audience, one of my favorite contestants from last series.

(I initially put favorite non-apterite contestant of the last series, but apparently he is one according to Robbo's recaps and I never knew. Never mind.)
Yeah, he was on Apterous under this guise: http://www.apterous.org/viewuser.php?user=17984

But, very well done to Eileen, a fantastic display yet again, and a 3rd century to boot. ;) :) :D

CORTINAS in round 4, UMBONES in round 5 and BALUSTER in round 12.

2nd Numbers Alt.: ((100 + 10) x 9) - 10 + 4 - 1 = 983
4th Numbers Alt.: ((100 - 3) x 9) + 3 - 2 = 874
Andy Platt wrote:Does anyone know how many preliminaries are scheduled for the rest of the series then?
Since the final is June 28, that would assume that the final prelim would be June 19.

This week, there's 1 more show, next week there are 2, the week after there's 5, then the rest of the series, no idea, but the maximum between May 27 and June 19 would be 18, so a combined total of 26 tops.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Are you talking about in relation to the number of prelims? If so, I don't really see a connection.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Awesome. I'm just pissing about in work while there's no calls so haven't seen it yet, but great to confirm she did the business. Deserved from the moment she beat Jill, you gotta say.

Looking to the future etc because I'm a bit of an obsessive bellface and can't really avoid it, and if there are really so few shows remaining then it's already worth mentioning - if she says in #3 there could be a nice potential semi final there if both she and that dashing number 2 seed win their quarters; similarly if she finishes in #4 then a potential Giles - Eileen semi final looks pretty sweet too. Also there is a small possibility that there will be an Eileen - Jill rematch which would be fantastic for the neutral with how their game went earlier in the series.
Peter Fenton wrote:On another point, it might just be me imagining it but there seems to have be quite a few occasions this series where the challenger has either spotted a phantom letter or drawn a blank on the numbers in early rounds (or both as in today's show). I can only guess this is due to nerves/getting used to playing in the new environment that causes this. Does anyone else think that there is a case for giving contestants a few practice rounds before going live with the real thing? Being as you're usually sat in the chair waiting for about 20 minutes not doing much anyway, then it would seem to make sense to use this time productively. You could even get Dudley doing the letters and numbers :D
I think this is a good idea and would result in some games being more competitive as the challenger would hit the ground running a bit more. The only negative really would be time taken, but as you say it can be done when the contestants are in their chairs and we're still waiting for Rachel to choose her tie or Nick to try on his high heels so it wouldn't delay the game as such. Could even get a guest from the audience to draw the tiles and open the round up to the audience for 30 seconds after for beaters? Essentially up to like 100 people in dictionary corner - would be fun and involving for the crowd. One added bonus is that it'd also help diagnose any technical issues - for example, this game had clock problems and what you guys actually saw as the first round (GFCGOUEPM) was actually the fourth attempt. Can be pretty frustrating when one of the rounds I think was was ATOMISERG and one round was SOLENOIDW... Maybe I'm missing some negatives along the way or they'd surely already do it? Also, did they ever do it? Oh well whatever.
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Peter Fenton wrote: Does anyone else think that there is a case for giving contestants a few practice rounds before going live with the real thing? Being as you're usually sat in the chair waiting for about 20 minutes not doing much anyway, then it would seem to make sense to use this time productively. You could even get Dudley doing the letters and numbers :D
I would say yes. I knew the format from when I went up with Diane back in series 18 to know what to expect. My show went exactly as it was screened. Jessica, in fact, suffered because her show was the first after a one and a half month break in filming and there were technical difficulties with the set while Nick was fluffing his lines too much. As Jessica is not the best first thing in the mornings and the lunch break was rather rushed.... a quick run through re: letters and numbers would have been helpful as would going second that day - or even if the two specials were filmed first that day which were fun games.

Mauro
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Andy Platt wrote:Awesome. I'm just pissing about in work while there's no calls so haven't seen it yet, but great to confirm she did the business. Deserved from the moment she beat Jill, you gotta say.
Agreed.
Andy Platt wrote:
Peter Fenton wrote:On another point, it might just be me imagining it but there seems to have be quite a few occasions this series where the challenger has either spotted a phantom letter or drawn a blank on the numbers in early rounds (or both as in today's show). I can only guess this is due to nerves/getting used to playing in the new environment that causes this. Does anyone else think that there is a case for giving contestants a few practice rounds before going live with the real thing? Being as you're usually sat in the chair waiting for about 20 minutes not doing much anyway, then it would seem to make sense to use this time productively. You could even get Dudley doing the letters and numbers :D
I think this is a good idea and would result in some games being more competitive as the challenger would hit the ground running a bit more. The only negative really would be time taken, but as you say it can be done when the contestants are in their chairs and we're still waiting for Rachel to choose her tie or Nick to try on his high heels so it wouldn't delay the game as such. Could even get a guest from the audience to draw the tiles and open the round up to the audience for 30 seconds after for beaters? Essentially up to like 100 people in dictionary corner - would be fun and involving for the crowd. One added bonus is that it'd also help diagnose any technical issues - for example, this game had clock problems and what you guys actually saw as the first round (GFCGOUEPM) was actually the fourth attempt. Can be pretty frustrating when one of the rounds I think was was ATOMISERG and one round was SOLENOIDW... Maybe I'm missing some negatives along the way or they'd surely already do it? Also, did they ever do it? Oh well whatever.
I think they already do rehearsals on the first day of a recording block, before the contestants turn up. Presumably the clock problems didn't happen during rehearsals when you were there or they'd have fixed it. Practice rounds as you suggest them have the potential problem that if you have random people from the audience wandering around the set playing with all the stuff just before they're about to start, it's likely to cause more issues than it solves. Wouldn't be long before some clown surreptitiously sticks a trollface picture on one of the letter tiles.

Also, I'm told they're getting a new clock soon, after all the problems they've had recently with the old one. I presume the new one won't be any different on the outside, they just need to replace the 30-year-old innards with something a bit more modern.

Dudley doing the letters and numbers? More than that, there needs to be a special between Dudley and Greg Scott.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Very well done to Eileen on becoming an octochamp and setting a new record for being the oldest one, also she looked like she thoroughly enjoyed playing the game during her run. :)
Nina Boyd
Rookie

Post by Nina Boyd »

Delighted for Eileen. She always looked as if she was enjoying herself, and I'm sure she was. That'll show the embryos!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Was just looking around minding my own business and found ex-contestant Mike Brailsford on this edition of Fifteen To One from 2002, but on Podium 9 is I didn't expect :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :o :o 8-) 8-)

(You can probably guess who by me putting it in here.)
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

James Robinson wrote:Was just looking around minding my own business and found ex-contestant Mike Brailsford on this edition of Fifteen To One from 2002, but on Podium 9 is I didn't expect :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :o :o 8-) 8-)

(You can probably guess who by me putting it in here.)
JJ Burrows?

Edit: Haha - love that you've already updated her Countdown Wiki page. Very Robinson-esque.