Spoilers for Friday May 3rd 2013 (Series 68 Prelim 38)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Friday May 3rd 2013 (Series 68 Prelim 38)

Post by Jordan F »

We end the week with Eileen Taylor on 6 wins and creeping ever closer to the octochamp title. Can she end the week on 7 wins and guarantee herself an 8th game?

Join a human being for the recap later.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Friday May 3rd 2013 (Series 68 Prelim 38)

Post by Andy Platt »

Back where we left off.

TALAPOINS as a beater in round 1 for 9.
Peter Fenton
Rookie

Post by Peter Fenton »

Nice Andy :) PENISES in round 2 for alt 7.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Surprised nobody found the 593 in the first numbers. That was about as far as I got, I was nowhere near that 592.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

RINGDOVE excellent spot from the corner, looking back on track now!
Jordan F wrote:Surprised nobody found the 593 in the first numbers. That was about as far as I got, I was nowhere near that 592.
Easiest method I saw for that was (50 + 7) x 10 + 25 - 3.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

FLUORITE beats FLORUIT
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

I saw that the scorer scored 5 for both contestants in the last letters game with Nick announcing 72-53 going into the last numbers game. I thought I'd gone loopy again then magically the scores were corrected (without appologies or visually) 67-54 going into the conundrum. Oops :-)
Inexplicably Sam lost his way mid game... was a great game until then, and was this the first time Eileen had a word disallowed ?!?

edit: I'll be rooting for Eileen to be the oldest ever octochamp on Monday!#

Mauro
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Peter Mabey wrote:FLUORITE beats FLORUIT
Nice one Peter. I wasn't anywhere near that.

There was another beater too, I just lexplorered the rounds, can't remember exactly which round it but the contestants declared STEAMY/maytime^. The only seven was MISMATE which is an awkwardly hideous word but apparently valid, means the same as mismatch.

Got to say though, Eileen got away with one there! A challenger of the level of maybe an Alan Flanagan or an Alex Newton from earlier in the series would almost certainly have walked away with a victory there. Not the high standard she has been giving us recently unfortunately. Hope she plays up to her previous standard in game 8 as I think we all want to see her make octochamp!
Mauro wrote:was this the first time Eileen had a word disallowed ?!?
REEKING when the letters weren't there in the epic game against Jill, and COWAGE against Morgan.
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

A really odd one for me today as I did really badly in the early letters rounds and yet somehow managed to end up with a personal score of 84 (against both contestants), with the help of four perfect numbers games, MURDERS in round 8, FLUORITE in round 12 and a 10-second conundrum.

Hope Eileen manages to make it on Monday!
James Roper
Rookie

Post by James Roper »

Intrigued - what was everyone's scores from today? I scored 129.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

James Roper wrote:Intrigued - what was everyone's scores from today? I scored 129.
I got 131, didn't get RINGDOVE or MISMATE.

PEONIES in round 2, RADIOED in round 4, BATTENS in round 7 and REMORSE in round 8.

2nd Numbers Alt.: ((100 - 10 - 10) x 6) + 8 - 3 = 485
3rd Numbers Alt.: ((25 - 4) x 3 x 10) + 8 = 638
4th Numbers Alt.: ((100 - 9) x (3 + 3)) + 1 = 547

Interesting also that Eileen didn't score in the last FIVE rounds today :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :o :o I wonder how many people have won by doing that. :? :? :?: :?: My guess is none. :)
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

James Roper wrote:Intrigued - what was everyone's scores from today? I scored 129.
James Robinson wrote: I got 131, didn't get RINGDOVE or MISMATE.
I'm right between the two James R's then with 130... Missed the same as Robbo, plus FLUORITE. (Bet I'd have beaten him to the conundrum though ;))
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Andy Platt wrote:
James Robinson wrote: I got 131, didn't get RINGDOVE or MISMATE.
I'm right between the two James R's then with 130... Missed the same as Robbo, plus FLUORITE. (Bet I'd have beaten him to the conundrum though ;))
I got it in 1 second, I've actually for some reason or other been waiting for LUBRICANT to appear as a conundrum. :P :geek:
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

I got 132 against the challenger and 126 against Eileen (would have tried YAMMIEST^ if she'd have gone for seven as I didn't have MISMATE but not if I was declaring first :oops: ).

Eileen had me worried at the end. I think tiredness must be creeping into her game, which is perfectly understandable. Nevertheless, I really want her to become an octochamp on Monday as she's been a joy to watch, as well as a very good player. The end of this game wasn't her usual standard.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

James Robinson wrote:Interesting also that Eileen didn't score in the last FIVE rounds today :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :o :o I wonder how many people have won by doing that. :? :? :?: :?: My guess is none. :)
It's happened once before.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Graeme Cole wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Interesting also that Eileen didn't score in the last FIVE rounds today :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :o :o I wonder how many people have won by doing that. :? :? :?: :?: My guess is none. :)
See everybody, this is the guy to ask about all things Countdown. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :idea: :idea: :idea: :geek: :geek: :geek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Interesting that both winning scores were 67. :shock:
James Roper
Rookie

Post by James Roper »

Andy Platt wrote: I'm right between the two James R's then with 130... Missed the same as Robbo, plus FLUORITE.

I got FLUORITE, but only got 593 in the first numbers :/
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jordan F wrote:Join a human being for the recap later.
Who is this human being anyway, is it Tom now :?: Even I'm getting lost now :!: :P :lol:
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

James Robinson wrote:I got it in 1 second, I've actually for some reason or other been waiting for LUBRICANT to appear as a conundrum. :P :geek:
Think I was more like 1.25 - 1.5, so I'll give you that. I've had it recently online which helped, so very impressive Mr Robinson
James Robinson wrote:
Jordan F wrote:Join a human being for the recap later.
Who is this human being anyway, is it Tom now :?: Even I'm getting lost now :!: :P :lol:
Yep, Tom Carey said he'd take over Friday recaps again from the start of May. Maybe we should nudge him on Facebook? If all else fails or he has too much work on, I can resume Fridays again. I quite like doing them, although I tend to leave one stupid mistake in every recap :P