Spoilers for Tuesday April 30th 2013 (Series 68 Prelim 35)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Tuesday April 30th 2013 (Series 68 Prelim 35)

Post by Jordan F »

Eileen Taylor is up to 3 wins so far, can she get a 4th today? If she does, she doesn't necessarily clinch a place in the finals, but she gets close.

Join Jack for the recap later.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday April 30th 2013 (Series 68 Prelim 3

Post by Andy Platt »

It's odd how in her first game I was very impressed with her numbers but unfortunately they seem to be becoming worse now. It's kind of the opposite of what I'd say was standard - as your run goes on, you get less nervous, and the numbers become much easier because you feel less pressure or you are more confident or whatever. I know the first game had three easy solves but still, the three large solve was great to win her first game. Hopefully we can see her get back to that standard as I want to see her reach the finals. Come on Eileen!
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

I was impressed when both players declared they had 452, but then was disappointed.
My method was (7x50)+100+5-(75/25).

PILASTER came up again as an alt in R13 (also PALMIEST etc), but I didn't get any of the beaters 6s in the SHACK round (R10).
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Quite a strong score by Eileen in the end. I hope she goes on to win more. Glad to see PRATESI+2 crop up again. Sadly no nines.
As I have a stick "Y" key on m keyboard realised there has not been a "Y" in toda's selection ... nor in yesterdays :-)

Mauro
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Decent performance, there were some pretty tough letters rounds there. No shame in her missing things like GUERDONS, ROTAVATE and just getting 5 in the CHAATS/CUSHAT/TACHOS/TOCHUS round (btw this is obviously lexplorer not me!)

I hope it doesn't sound arrogant but I wonder if the challenger going 4L at the end there was perhaps influenced by some of my games (or indeed Peter, or anyone else who went 4 large). There was one particular round I had where to solve it, you had to get to 450 without using the smalls - namely round 3 here - so he might have done well to remember that little trick in R14 today which was a very similar round & reminded me no end of that one earlier in the series.
Mauro wrote:there has not been a "Y" in toda's selection ... nor in yesterdays :)
I wonder if they finally replaced it? You have to be proper on the ball to see it, but the Y is very slightly darker than the rest of the tiles.
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

szodiac wrote:Sadly no nines.
I really feel GROUNDIES (R12) should be put in the dictionary. It's a word I've used quite often as a tennis player (i.e. short for Ground-strokes), and (mis)-delcared on apterous more than once too.
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Andy Platt wrote:It's odd how in her first game I was very impressed with her numbers but unfortunately they seem to be becoming worse now.
Because that was the only time she picked three large numbers?
Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Post by Andy McGurn »

Eileen vs Giles would be the coolest series final EVER!!!
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Andy McGurn wrote:Eileen vs Giles would be the coolest series final EVER!!!
That so is it?
Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Post by Andy McGurn »

Yeah, as in age vs youth, Mega apterite vs nice lady who watches on an afternoon, Also Eileen's first appearance was before Giles was even born. They represent the two opposite ends of the Countdown spectrum. I think it'd be great
James Roper
Rookie

Post by James Roper »

You know, or Andy vs. Eileen. We'll just have to wait and see.
James Roper
Rookie

Post by James Roper »

[quote="James Roper"]You know, or Andy vs. Eileen. We'll just have to wait and see.[/quote

Or Andy vs. Giles.