Spoilers For 8 out of 10 Does Countdown (19th April 2013)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For 8 out of 10 Does Countdown (19th April 2013)

Post by James Robinson »

After the amazing 2 vs. 2 match last week, the favourite Channel 4 fusion returns for another match, which promises to be of even higher quality than last week. ;) :) :D

This matchup sees Lee Mack team up with Pointless legend Richard Osman and returning champion Jon Richardson partnering comic actor Stephen Mangan.

Joe Wilkinson will return as Rachel's "assistant" again, while German comedian Henning Wehn will be in Dictionary Corner with Susie.

I'll be around with the recap later. ;) :) :D
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers For 8 out of 10 Does Countdown (19th April 2013

Post by James Robinson »

Nice S**TFACED error by Jimmy to start the show. :P :lol:
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

R3: ROADYING
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

PROTESTER round 4 alternative 9 8-)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Andy Platt wrote:PROTESTER round 4 alternative 9 8-)
PROTESTER as an alternative 9 in round 5 even. :P
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Erm, yeah you are right :P
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

I so thought that was a joke when someone told me that Rach drew a cock and balls on the board. You just live for seeing stuff like that :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :lol:
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

I just about burst a blood vessel when she asked, "Shall I write it up the shaft?"
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

IDIOLECT in round 37 or whatever round we're up to now
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Andy Platt wrote:IDIOLECT in round 37 or whatever round we're up to now
Take away 30 and you're there, mate. :P :lol:
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Enjoyed that! But it wasn't as good as it was last week :(
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Thank God for 4 +1.

I disagree with Andy, it was better than last week by some considerable margin. Joe Wilkinson looked bored to death though.

Glancing over the fact that both Lee Mack and Joe Wilkinson were moonlighting (Joe was on Have I Got News For You from 2100 to 2130, Lee on Not Going Out from 2130 to 2200), generally a lot better. Liked the fact that they were able to get more rounds in. Four numbers games did seem a bit much, though.

I don't like 8 out of 10 Cats and my family have never seen it. Certainly the lack of a consistent format wasn't helpful. There were times when I thought "get on with it", but I felt Richard Osman was certainly more serious (yay!) than Gilbert and Beckett last week.

Really didn't like Lee Hansfording/Gandiseeging (have we invented a term for a last-minute non-buzz?) on a crucial conundrum, when the close-ups showed that Jon and Stephen were actually trying.

Good performance from Jimmy Carr in the serious parts, although I think he's running out of distraction ideas. If he remained serious Nick Hewer would be leaving tomorrow. And I don't like Nick Hewer.

No random selections and ¬ (and for anyone whose computer is insufficient to read that, it's a sideways L which one can find to the left of the number 1 on the top row of a QWERTY keyboard + Shift) this week. Good.

I do think that in January 2012 and August 2012, Cats "fans" must have said there wasn't enough "KOMEDY!!! [sic]", but I feel it may have crossed the line into too little Countdown?

In all seriousness, I think Jon may be a half-decent player at this game when he was serious. Graeme said that numbers rounds generally generate two more points than letters, so it probably would have been something like 50 - 45 (depends which rounds you take out). To get 50 in a nine-round game is quite impressive. Not as impressive as 60, mind, but, still, decent. Max would have been 88, methinks, using this method, quite high for a nine-round game. Jon could consider applying for the real show if he takes it seriously... and if he's not playing an apterite/apterforumite.

So, decent, actually.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Max would have been 88, methinks.
I have it as 92 actually, Rhys. :geek: :ugeek:
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Rhys, why can't you just relax and try to enjoy it for what it is, which is first comedy, then Countdown?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Andy Platt wrote:Rhys, why can't you just relax and try to enjoy it for what it is, which is first comedy, then Countdown?
If it were that then it would be Hewer etc. in the Cats studio.
James Robinson wrote:I have it as 92 actually, Rhys. :geek: :ugeek:
You may want to re-read my post...
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

James Robinson wrote:I so thought that was a joke when someone told me that Rach drew a cock and balls on the board. You just live for seeing stuff like that :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :lol:
I nearly spat all my wine out when she did that, class!
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Chris Philpot wrote:I just about burst a blood vessel when she asked, "Shall I write it up the shaft?"
Ditto!
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Andy Platt wrote:Rhys, why can't you just relax and try to enjoy it for what it is, which is first comedy, then Countdown?
Sure, but I think it's actually funnier when they try to take it at least semi-seriously. There's quite a fine balance which I think worked better this week than last week.

They can get rid of Joe Wilkinson completely as far as I'm concerned. And I got the DC-beater IDIOLECT as well (surely a professional lexicographer should know the word?).
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Yeah, Susie probably spots it if she puts 100% of her concentration into the round, but I think presentation etc is a bigger concern
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Thank God for 4 +1.

I disagree with Andy, it was better than last week by some considerable margin. Joe Wilkinson looked bored to death though.

Glancing over the fact that both Lee Mack and Joe Wilkinson were moonlighting (Joe was on Have I Got News For You from 2100 to 2130, Lee on Not Going Out from 2130 to 2200), generally a lot better. Liked the fact that they were able to get more rounds in. Four numbers games did seem a bit much, though.

I don't like 8 out of 10 Cats and my family have never seen it. Certainly the lack of a consistent format wasn't helpful. There were times when I thought "get on with it", but I felt Richard Osman was certainly more serious (yay!) than Gilbert and Beckett last week.

Really didn't like Lee Hansfording/Gandiseeging (have we invented a term for a last-minute non-buzz?) on a crucial conundrum, when the close-ups showed that Jon and Stephen were actually trying.

Good performance from Jimmy Carr in the serious parts, although I think he's running out of distraction ideas. If he remained serious Nick Hewer would be leaving tomorrow. And I don't like Nick Hewer.

No random selections and ¬ (and for anyone whose computer is insufficient to read that, it's a sideways L which one can find to the left of the number 1 on the top row of a QWERTY keyboard + Shift) this week. Good.

I do think that in January 2012 and August 2012, Cats "fans" must have said there wasn't enough "KOMEDY!!! [sic]", but I feel it may have crossed the line into too little Countdown?

In all seriousness, I think Jon may be a half-decent player at this game when he was serious. Graeme said that numbers rounds generally generate two more points than letters, so it probably would have been something like 50 - 45 (depends which rounds you take out). To get 50 in a nine-round game is quite impressive. Not as impressive as 60, mind, but, still, decent. Max would have been 88, methinks, using this method, quite high for a nine-round game. Jon could consider applying for the real show if he takes it seriously... and if he's not playing an apterite/apterforumite.

So, decent, actually.
You must be an absolute dream to teach.

NB: Hansfording/ Gandiseeging is buzzing in almost immediately when the letters reveal themselves, what Lee did has been done countless times on the show. (in the CoC XIII final no less!)

Thought these last 2 shows have been superb! :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Guy Barry wrote:And I got the DC-beater IDIOLECT as well (surely a professional lexicographer should know the word?)
But you don't always get every word you know!
Eoin Monaghan wrote:NB: Hansfording/ Gandiseeging is buzzing in almost immediately when the letters reveal themselves, what Lee did has been done countless times on the show. (in the CoC XIII final no less!)
Maybe he was referring to Charlie going for GANDISEEG right at the end in his CofC game - that sort of thing probably does need a name though.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:Thought these last 2 shows have been superb! :D
Yeah, definitely, although some people's reaction (in the posts above) to the cock and balls and writing on it seems a bit like they've never seen anything funny before. :?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:NB: Hansfording/ Gandiseeging is buzzing in almost immediately when the letters reveal themselves, what Lee did has been done countless times on the show. (in the CoC XIII final no less!)
I think the fact that he buzzed at the death in a crucial conundrum is pushing it too far. Jon and Stephen were clearly trying to spot it.
James Roper
Rookie

Post by James Roper »

I think the fact that he buzzed at the death in a crucial conundrum is pushing it too far. Jon and Stephen were clearly trying to spot it.
If it's right at the last second, then I don't see too much of a problem. In a regular episode people have done it. Chris Davies more or less did so to defeat Innis Carson in Series 61. In the nicest possible way Rhys, your posts aren't going to change anything. Just let it go.
Last edited by James Roper on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Oh lordy.

I'm just gonna emulate what James said, it's a comedy show, it's intended to be comedic, let it go.

SLEEPSUIT.