Spoilers for Tuesday April 16th 2013 (Series 68 Prelim 26

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Tuesday April 16th 2013 (Series 68 Prelim 26

Post by Jordan F »

Today is a big day. One of the potential biggest days we've had on Countdown in awhile. For many reasons. The primary one being that Giles Hutchings has a chance to become octochamp number 2 of the series. beyond that, he is just 93 points away from the highest 8 game run ever in the 15 round format. There are are some questions as to whether the new 15 round style affects how much his run is scaled in inflation, but you have to think either way it's very impressive. There is also a chance, albeit perhaps a small one, for Giles to break four figures if he ties or beats Julian Fell's and Conor Travers' 146. Giles has also gotten 92.1% of his maximum potential score so far, so depending on his run, I think we could also have a chance to break that record as well. Plus, he could only be the 8th person to score 100 in all games, and only the 7th to get all 8 conundrums. He'll be in the finals either way I'm sure, but not only do I think Giles would like to win, but he'd like a stake at some of these records.

Join Jack for the possible coronation recap later.
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday April 16th 2013 (Series 68 Prelim 2

Post by Anthony Endsor »

It's gonna make for a heck of a final between him and Andy. That is of course assuming there are no more octo skeletons in the closet.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Anthony Endsor wrote:It's gonna make for a heck of a final between him and Andy. That is of course assuming there are no more octo skeletons in the closet.
Dangerous comment :P

Objectively looking at how the series is panning out, it is the most likely final at the moment (1 v 2 seed), but we really can't assume anything. There could be another whizzkid like Rob or Dylan that has made it on into this series but isn't telling anyone, or indeed someone who is immensely naturally talented or indeed has been practising in other ways. Good example - my prediction for the S65 final was Mark v Graeme (1 v 2), but that never happened. My prediction for the S67 final was Paul v David (1 v 2) - that never happened either. If anything, history says that one of us will lose in the semi final. Hopefully not, like, but you never know.

All the best to Giles today, will be sad to see my #1 go but I feel it's inevitable. One thing I think a lot of people will be keeping an eye on is this:
In another thread, Graeme wrote:Giles has so far solved seven conundrums out of seven, with a total time of about 7.25 seconds. Of all the octochamps who have solved all eight of their conundrums, the shortest aggregate time was 26 seconds by Harvey Freeman. A solve by Giles tomorrow of less than 18.75 seconds would break a record that has stood for 26 years.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

In another thread, Graeme wrote:Giles has so far solved seven conundrums out of seven, with a total time of about 7.25 seconds. Of all the octochamps who have solved all eight of their conundrums, the shortest aggregate time was 26 seconds by Harvey Freeman. A solve by Giles tomorrow of less than 18.75 seconds would break a record that has stood for 26 years.
[/quote]

WOW!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

choke
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Well done to Giles. No 2 at Reading but No 1 on this series.

To save those who haven't yet from running their solvers, the first numbers (377) is possible, but 966 is not.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Hard luck with that conundrum Giles. I know the feeling.

965 is still a unbelievably good score. I was rather bored last night and I decided to work out what Jack Hurst's score would been if you scaled his letters/numbers scoring rates in line with the new format, and if memory serves it worked out at approximately 962. So you can definitely stake a solid claim to the all-time octotal record.

Congrats on just about everything about your run, it was an absolute pleasure to watch.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Very well done Giles on becoming an octochamp and setting a new record. 8-)
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Awesome stuff, Giles. Ridiculously high standard throughout your run - congratulations, octochamp! As Innis said, your octototal was high enough to beat Jack's 'scaled up' score, but I think the best thing to do is simply to consider GILES HUCTHINGS as a Countdown great in his own right! Your octototal will be very tough to beat, averaging over 120 points per game! I'd give you a slight edge over Andy on letters and conundrums, but Andy may have a significant edge on those tricky 4 large rounds, so a potential matchup (not a word) between the two of you would be very close to call. You and Andy have provided a real treat, keeping up the sort of standard we'd become accustomed to following the 30th Birthday Championship. It remains to be seen if there will be any further octochamps this series, but I think whatever the case, the relative shortness of this series won't take anything away from the achievement of whoever goes on to win it - the average octototal of the top 2 seeds currently stands at a whopping 927, and to win a series containing that kind of talent is about as tough as it gets!

Well done Giles, what a great performance!
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

Innis Carson wrote:I decided to work out what Jack Hurst's score would been if you scaled his letters/numbers scoring rates in line with the new format, and if memory serves it worked out at approximately 962.
A similar rescaling of Giles' score gives 954/955. And arguably he would have had an extra 11 points had it not been for the mistake in the WANDERS/MARINADES round, so I don't think there is much arguemnt.
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Jojo Apollo wrote:Very well done Giles on becoming an octochamp and setting a new record. 8-)
Congratulations indeed. I just feel chuffed at beating him to that last conundrum! (20 seconds is pretty good by my standards...)
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Congratulations on your fantastic Octochamp run Giles.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the same from you at the finals.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Well done Giles. You came across brilliantly in every episode.

Also I'd like to make it known what a great guest choice Richard Madeley was. I loved his stories, his interaction with giving out the words and just about everything he had to offer. Definitely one of the best.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Haven't watched the last show back yet but I have heard about the octototal... nothing I haven't said already in private naturally, but awesome stuff and a fantastic achievement. Definitely the man to beat this series.

Kirk Bevins wrote:Also I'd like to make it known what a great guest choice Richard Madeley was. I loved his stories, his interaction with giving out the words and just about everything he had to offer. Definitely one of the best.
Agreed, actually, yeah he got a lot of good laughs and stuff, even if they were bordering on the inappropriate for daytime TV, lol.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Congratulations to Giles on breaking the record, very well deserved as you were brilliant from start to finish! You will be a hot contender to win the series, as well as Andy. Looking forward to seeing you both again in the finals!

Almost had KETONURIA in round 5, I assume that's what Giles was fishing for.

AGEISTS in round 4.
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

Andy Platt wrote:
Anthony Endsor wrote:It's gonna make for a heck of a final between him and Andy. That is of course assuming there are no more octo skeletons in the closet.
Dangerous comment :P

Objectively looking at how the series is panning out, it is the most likely final at the moment (1 v 2 seed), but we really can't assume anything. There could be another whizzkid like Rob or Dylan that has made it on into this series but isn't telling anyone, or indeed someone who is immensely naturally talented or indeed has been practising in other ways. Good example - my prediction for the S65 final was Mark v Graeme (1 v 2), but that never happened. My prediction for the S67 final was Paul v David (1 v 2) - that never happened either. If anything, history says that one of us will lose in the semi final. Hopefully not, like, but you never know.

All the best to Giles today, will be sad to see my #1 go but I feel it's inevitable. One thing I think a lot of people will be keeping an eye on is this:
Well, whoever does get there, it will be interesting.
People were saying a couple of years ago the well was running dry with new players now, and that we'd seen all the best ones. This series has proved them wrong.
Just a pity we'll have to wait another 29 and a half years before the next 30th birthday celebrations. :lol:
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Well done Giles - finely representing Surrey! His average numbers score was 9.03125 and average letters score was 7.575, so a very crude calculation would suggest that he would have scored 11.65 less under the Old 15, which still gives him 953.35 and puts him ahead of Jack's 946. Exceptional consistency over 8 games!

Edit: I didn't notice that Innis and Malcolm had done similar calculations
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Congratulations on a fantastic octorun, Giles, especially on achieving a score that beats the existing record by a margin greater than what would be expected from the format change. That sets a good early benchmark for the new format, which I expect won't be beaten for a long time.