Spoilers for Thursday March 7th 2013 (Series 68 Prelim 4)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday March 7th 2013 (Series 68 Prelim 4)

Post by Jordan F »

Another solid win for Philip Jarvis yesterday. Can he get a third in a row today?

Join James for the recap later.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers for Thursday March 7th 2013 (Series 68 Prelim 4

Post by Tony Atkins »

Had a feeling Sam was going to select 3 large, but then was disappointed that Rachel had to show them how to do a standard three large solve.

Alts R2 ELOPERS, R9 MOPANES.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

In all fairness Tony, I play 3L and it took me a while to see that.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

:( :( :(

Sad to see you go Philip, can tell you were very happy to be there and I'm disappointed you don't get to go further. To be fair though, Sam seems like a pretty good player, and no shame to losing to a good player.
Last edited by Jordan F on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Great game that! Very closely fought and entertaining for me. Shame to see you go Phil but I know you'll be very pleased with your 2 wins and teapot!
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Zarte Siempre wrote:In all fairness Tony, I play 3L and it took me a while to see that.
In all fairness Zarte, http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_5259.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Alt R11 OUTLIER Alt 3rd numbers ((7+2)x9x10)-10+1
CO-MSO every August
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Andy Platt wrote:In all fairness Zarte, http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_5259.
Please ignore 252 as my brain was still asleep at 10:00 am after the excitement of the night before.
By 10:30 I was awake again. Today's program was presumably an evening recording.
CO-MSO every August
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Good game there.

On another note please can you have the letters on screen for the full 30 seconds, on one round you saw the letters, then a shot of the contestants without the letters on screen for part of the 30 seconds, it puts you off playing along at home.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Tony Atkins wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:In all fairness Zarte, http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_5259.
Please ignore 252 as my brain was still asleep at 10:00 am after the excitement of the night before.
By 10:30 I was awake again. Today's program was presumably an evening recording.
:)
My point was, I don't think it's fair to make what Phil and Sam would conceive as quite a demeaning comment, particularly when you know from first-hand experience that numbers rounds are much harder in the studio, particularly under fatigue and nerves.
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Zarte Siempre wrote:In all fairness Tony, I play 3L and it took me a while to see that.
Took me a while to see it too, same with the 6 small one.

Very good game today, some very good letters spots by both players and close throughout.
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

Tony Atkins wrote:Alt R11 OUTLIER Alt 3rd numbers ((7+2)x9x10)-10+1
Got both those too. Also alt to SPARKLE was PARLOUS.
Ciaran Thompson
Rookie

Post by Ciaran Thompson »

Alt Numbers solution for Round 14:
(10 - 1) x 9 = 81
81 x the other 10 = 810
810 - 7 - 2 = 801
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

COUVADE in round 7.

Unlucky there Philip, sorry to see you go. Sam looks very decent though and he could win a few himself.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Unlucky, Phil :( At least you got the teapot second time round though!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Awwww, shame for you to go, Philip, and to lose to a Leeds resident :!: :!: :roll:

But, as has been said, Sam does have some potential and is definitely one to watch methinks.

Managed a MAX GAME too, which I was happy with too, although I'm sad to see Philip go. :( :cry:

PERUSAL/PRESOAK/REPOSAL in round 4, REIMPOSE in round 6, VEGIES in round 8, NAMASTE/SMETANA in round 9, CLOTURE in round 11 and DEBRIEF in round 13.
Peter Fenton
Rookie

Post by Peter Fenton »

Martin Long wrote:
Took me a while to see it too, same with the 6 small one.

Very good game today, some very good letters spots by both players and close throughout.
Yeah, I agree with what's already been said in that the 3 large wasn't all that straightforward. I managed to get it but only just as the time was running out and I had the luxury of sitting at home with my feet up with absolutely zero pressure and nobody watching!

Well done to both players - the standard was consistently high throughout. Hard luck Philip - after the two previous performances, I thought that for most of the game (even when you were behind) that you would win today but you were very unlucky to be just beaten to the conundrum. Credit should also be given to Sam though, who played a very solid game.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Unlucky Phil, that was a close game, though I know you're pleased you got your hands on the teapot at last.

Like Sam I also had WAITED instead of AWAITED in round 12, but I'm going to blame the letters randomly disappearing half way through the round.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Unlucky Phil must have been gutting to lose that one.Thought you were a great sport at the end.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Thank you for all the kind comments. I’ve just got home from work and haven’t had chance to see today’s screening – I’ll save that for tomorrow when I’ve got a day off. Most of you have got it spot on – I’m absolutely delighted to win the teapot. That’s what I went for and that’s what I got. The extra couple of games I played were a bonus.

Sam was actually a last minute stand in for somebody who couldn’t make it from Ireland. I think he only found out the day before. Considering the short amount of time he had to focus and prepare, he did really well. I thought it was a great game, swinging one way and then the other and Sam definitely deserved his win after just beating me to the buzzer. I was genuinely pleased that he had got the reward of a win from the effort he put in.

Although I tried my best to win this game, I was actually quite relieved to have lost. In the build up to the recording in early February, I spent a bit more time than usual practising on Apterous. Although this probably paled into insignificance in comparison with many others, my wife did not hold this view. With a full time job, a wife and the demands of 3 daughters, the fact that I didn’t win enough games to make the quarter finals was actually a blessing to me. I knew I had achieved my goal and now I don’t have the pressure of trying to come somewhere close to the standards the 1500+ ranked players regularly achieve.

I’m now looking forward to seeing the remainder of Series 68 and cheering on other Apterites starting with Andy Platt. I’ve already booked my ticket for the semis / final where I’m looking forward to meeting friends old and new, followed by a good night out. :D

Cheers.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Philip Jarvis wrote:Thank you for all the kind comments. I’ve just got home from work and haven’t had chance to see today’s screening – I’ll save that for tomorrow when I’ve got a day off. Most of you have got it spot on – I’m absolutely delighted to win the teapot. That’s what I went for and that’s what I got. The extra couple of games I played were a bonus.

Sam was actually a last minute stand in for somebody who couldn’t make it from Ireland. I think he only found out the day before. Considering the short amount of time he had to focus and prepare, he did really well. I thought it was a great game, swinging one way and then the other and Sam definitely deserved his win after just beating me to the buzzer. I was genuinely pleased that he had got the reward of a win from the effort he put in.

Although I tried my best to win this game, I was actually quite relieved to have lost. In the build up to the recording in early February, I spent a bit more time than usual practising on Apterous. Although this probably paled into insignificance in comparison with many others, my wife did not hold this view. With a full time job, a wife and the demands of 3 daughters, the fact that I didn’t win enough games to make the quarter finals was actually a blessing to me. I knew I had achieved my goal and now I don’t have the pressure of trying to come somewhere close to the standards the 1500+ ranked players regularly achieve.

I’m now looking forward to seeing the remainder of Series 68 and cheering on other Apterites starting with Andy Platt. I’ve already booked my ticket for the semis / final where I’m looking forward to meeting friends old and new, followed by a good night out. :D

Cheers.
Unlucky Philip!

Who are the other Apterites of note coming up?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Philip Jarvis wrote:I’ve already booked my ticket for the semis / final where I’m looking forward to meeting friends old and new, followed by a good night out. :D
Does your wife hold this view though?! Unlucky Philip! Glad you got your teapot.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Dave Preece wrote:
Unlucky Philip!

Who are the other Apterites of note coming up?
Andy Platt and Giles Hutchings will also be in this series, I'm expecting great things from both of them!
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

I still do not see how being disappointed at something can be demeaning and would like to point out that I neither said
the three large was hard nor easy, only that it was the standard method.
CO-MSO every August
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Tony Atkins wrote:the three large was hard nor easy, only that it was the standard method.
What do you mean by "the standard method"?
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Nobody ever practises 3 large so it seems unfair to refer to 'standard methods'.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Conor wrote:Nobody ever practises 3 large so it seems unfair to refer to 'standard methods'.
I see, I'm a nobody now... *huffs*
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Zarte Siempre wrote:
Conor wrote:Nobody ever practises 3 large so it seems unfair to refer to 'standard methods'.
I see, I'm a nobody now... *huffs*
If you're a nobody, and nobody's perfect, then what does that make you?