Spoilers for Friday 10th October

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Friday 10th October

Post by Peter Mabey »

Equallers:
round 1 ARCHONS
round 4 GLOZES
John Brackstone
Rookie

Re: Spoilers for Friday 10th October

Post by John Brackstone »

breakups for 8
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I would've thought the recording would've been stopped because of POOF coming up in the selection, like it has been done before in an old series.

LESI in the next round was just brilliant :lol:
johnbrackstone wrote:breakups for 8
Sorry John, but break-up is hyphenated :(
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

2nd numbers game : 10, 3, 4, 8, 8 , 100 - target 636

Surprised nobody spotted the simpler answer (8 x 8 x 10) - 4.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Thought I might have beaten Kai at last, after succeeding on each of the numbers which he missed, scoring 88 after round 14,but his instant conundrum response left me standing. :o
Matt Coates
Acolyte

Post by Matt Coates »

havent lost to Kai yet, good player for his age, but he is nowhere near to being the next Conor.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Although you haven't actually played him, technically, Matt :?

And yes, he's no Conor, but then not many players are, are they? (I certainly include myself in that)

Anyway, a great episode to watch - the antics with POOF followed by LESI were hilarious and I'm glad they kept it in. Kai's youthful exuberance has really lit up the studio, I think it's given the whole programme a lift. I'm glad that I coincidentally get to recap his last game (for now)...

For the record: I got the beater RIBCAGES in round 3 (but missed PRISONED)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I had RIBCAGES and PILOSE in the next round which was temporarily a beater. I missed PRESOAK which was quite bad and OVULATES which was quite atrocious. I was happy enough with OUTLAWS and got rather lazy missing a -ULATE ending.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I got PRISONED. Luckily they still have internet access in the big house.

Major lmfao, lol and rofl at THENPOOF and LESI. I actually drew a blank in the THENPOOFR round but an A would have given us HANEPOOT!

Congrats to Kai on his 7th win. I assume he'll be seeded just behind Junaid after his last game unless he scores massively. Does anyone have a list of the current seedings at all, or know where I can find them?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

It's here, young sir! (where it's been for a while now) in that treasure trove of countdown trivia that is the wiki.

http://www.countdownwiki.com/Series_59
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Kai may not be the next Conor ( :roll: ) but he is on for the pretty special achievement of solving all 8 conundrums, which I think only Mr Julian Fell has managed in the 15 round era. Conor would've done it too if he hadn't been betrayed by his communist sympathies.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Mark Kudlowski wrote:2nd numbers game : 10, 3, 4, 8, 8 , 100 - target 636

Surprised nobody spotted the simpler answer (8 x 8 x 10) - 4.

I spotted that way, missed PRISONED and RIBCAGES never entered my head but I spotted OVULATES.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

PeterMabey wrote:Thought I might have beaten Kai at last, after succeeding on each of the numbers which he missed, scoring 88 after round 14,but his instant conundrum response left me standing. :o
I'm amazed. Some of the beaters you post are quality and yet you still haven't beaten Kai from your armchair at home? I think Fell might have to say something about posting the words that people miss to set the balance right!
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Paul Howe wrote:Kai may not be the next Conor ( :roll: ) but he is on for the pretty special achievement of solving all 8 conundrums, which I think only Mr Julian Fell has managed in the 15 round era. Conor would've done it too if he hadn't been betrayed by his communist sympathies.
Am I really the only one who's done it in the 15-round era :shock: ? I know at the time I was on, people mentioned a few others such as David Williams who had done it, but they were all in the 9-round era IIRC... but I'd've thought someone else would've done it since, given the massive improvement in the standard of the top players we've seen in recent years?

I've never really considered myself one of the top conundrists (now there's a word)... it was about four months from when I first started watching the show, that I got the conundrum before the TV contestants for the first time, so right from the start I've been inclined to think of it as a weakness... yet I do keep beating people on crucial conundrums so I suppose I can't be too bad! I don't really like winning games that way but it's probably inevitable that it's going to come down to the conundrum against the strongest players these days...

Should mention that out of my 8 conundrums in my octochamp run, one of them was on about 24 seconds after my opponent had buzzed in wrongly much earlier, so I was a bit lucky really. And I did have a lot of pretty easy ones, it has to be said
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I used to think I was quite good at conundrums, but anyone who's watched my pitiful Conundrum Attacks on apterous will testify that I must've been mistaken. I'm sure I could make some amateur psychological observation about our respective self-images at this point, but it's probably too obvious.