Spoilers For Thursday December 20th 2012

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Thursday December 20th 2012

Post by James Robinson »

So, after yesterday's super brilliant semi-final, today's contest has a lot to live up to, but this is Countdown, and as we should know by now, write anybody off at your peril!!!

Our 2nd semi is between the No.2 Seed David "The Ross-On-Wye 'Recking Ball" Barnard, and the No.3 Seed Heather "The Sevenoaks Sizzler" Styles.

The winner will return tomorrow for the Series 67 Grand Final to play the No.1 Seed, Paul James.

Here are the stats:

Firstly, No.2 Seed David "The Ross-On-Wye 'Recking Ball" Barnard - 9 Wins, 879 Points (Average: 97.67)
Highest Score: 111 vs. Arthur Sharpe (3rd Game)
Lowest Score: 87 vs. Snigdha Tiruvuru (2nd Game)
9's Achieved: 4/7
Total Points/Max/%: 879/1143 (77%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 605/786 (77%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 224/267 (84%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 50/90 (56%)

Secondly, No.3 Seed Heather "The Sevenoaks Sizzler" Styles - 9 Wins, 837 Points (Average: 93)
Highest Score: 114 vs. Philip Jackson (1st Game - The Highest of the series. 8-) )
Lowest Score: 82 vs. Alma Cox (5th Game)
9's Achieved: 1/7
Total Points/Max/%: 837/1146 (73%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 591/786 (75%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 206/270 (76%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 40/90 (44%)

Join me for my last recap of 2012 later. ;) :) :D
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers For Thursday December 20th 2012

Post by Tony Atkins »

Great first part. Alts R1 OOZIER, r2 FANNERS, AND r4 DIASTOLE.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

There shouldn't be much to say other than marvel at the quality.
Round 2 alt DANSEUR
Round 4 alt DIASTOLE
Round 6 beater WHENUA - Moari land
Round 7 REALTIME* - unlucky but OK in Scrabble (David should really come to one of our Tournaments)
My effort LAMITER* also fails on the same basis
Round 9 GAYETY is is OED but as its a noun only so the 8 GAYETIES may not be allowed :!: :?: :!:

Useless information: Longest word available from the selection DAVIDBARNARD, in OED is AIRBAND (not in Collins) In Collins it's BANDAID (not in OED)
Last edited by szodiac on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

PARVENU in round 6
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

sloaned?
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

After the clock I got LOANEES in the LOANED round.
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

LOANEES in r11
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Jeez it must be a little bit unsettling for Heather to be scribbling away while David simply stares at the letters like a genius!
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Has Heather gotten her breath back yet?

What a finish. I must say I thought I had beaten them both with UNALIBIED, but was wrong there. Two very strong players throughout this game, and very unlucky to David for just losing out against someone of Heather's caliber.
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

Wow, wow, wow! Absolutely awesome game. Best I can remember in ages. Deserved to be a final. I know its a cliche, but it really was unfortunate that someone had to lose. Well played Heather, and bad luck David.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Phew! I think we all need a lie down after that one. Heather's stupendous win is going to cost me more money to
her charity. http://www.justgiving.com/countdown-challenge

Managed 1 away on the last numbers (10x75)-100+5+(50/25)=657.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Michelle Nevitt

Post by Michelle Nevitt »

Awesome game guys! Very well done Heather, can't wait for the final tomorrow.
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

I could feel the tension sitting at home. Well done Heather, commiserations David. Almost felt a conundrum tiebreaker was looming.
With both semi finals being so close and exciting would it be a good idea to have all four semi finalists in the final tomorrow? Now there's something they haven't done! Well done to *all* the finalists.

Mauro
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Andy Wilson wrote:sloaned?
Not found in my copies of OED and Collins. :(

Mauro
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Tony Atkins wrote: Managed 1 away on the last numbers (10x75)-100+5+(50/25)=657.
I did the same, which is as good as it gets.

Another cracker of a semi final! Congratulations to both players for a fantastic game to watch and it could have gone either way. A great conundrum solve, Heather and to beat a player of David's quality is no mean feat, so a fully deserved place in the final! Also fair play to David who has been very strong during his run and was gracious in defeat, having come close to the final himself. The last three games in particular have been phenomenal for entertainment value and I certainly hope that continues for the big one tomorrow. best of luck to Heather and Paul, whoever wins tomorrow will be a worthy champion!

HOAGIES in round 8.
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

What an incredble game! I played along at home was beaten by the conundrum. I thought Heather and David would be neck and neck all the way but there were quite a few swings either way!

Heather looked completely overwhelmed at the end. Shocked to have beaten David I guess.

I must admit my money was on David to beat Paul in the final but now I think Heather must be the favourite if she can keep her nerve!

David was unlucky with realtime. I have been wary of computing terms as so few are in.

Great game from both players and what a final we are in for. Just hope the world doesn't end before 14:40 tomorrow!
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Yeah, watching on from the audience (sitting next to Phyl no less) and this was the best game in ages. Not as many maxes as Paul-Rose but definitely an awesome enjoyable game. David was very graceful in defeat. I'd have been a right bell face about it
szodiac wrote:
Andy Wilson wrote:sloaned?
Not found in my copies of OED and Collins. :(

Mauro
Andy incorrectly declared SLOANED on the show when he was on. I personally enjoyed the reference.

Also I don't know how to say this in a more polite way, but I think the majority of players here are not all that interested in what scrabble words are valid or invalid
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Andy Platt wrote:Also I don't know how to say this in a more polite way, but I think the majority of players here are not all that interested in what scrabble words are valid or invalid
Agreed.
What a great game. Congratulations to Heather on winning. I hope you do well in the final (I'll have to wait until the weekend to see it as I'm away on a Xmas do tomorrow).
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Another brilliant semi-final, we have been treated to great Countdown entertainment this week! Congratulations Heather, that was an excellent conundrum solve, reminiscent of the EPITUSSLE* between Chris and Innis, where Chris also scribbled on his pad to find the solution. Commiserations to David, one of the strongest players of the series - you certainly put up a good fight in this one. Womankind can already be proud of you, Heather, it would be incredible if you could take it one step further - bring on the final shoot-out!
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Joyce Phillips
Acolyte

Post by Joyce Phillips »

What a great match! And two very sporting and committed players. I have to admit that I was rooting for Heather. She has been a delight to watch.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

So my journey is at an end of a rather memorable and at times a volatile series (but everything worked itself out so I wont go into it). It was so much fun sitting in the hot seat and would like to thank the countdown team for making something like this possible.
I always thought I'd much rather lose on a game like that than get thrashed than go out with a whimper and my wish was granted, just a fantastic game to be part of and immensely enjoyable (even though it seemed different when you're at 81-81 on the conundrum which is my weakest part of my game)
Phyl Styles
Acolyte

Post by Phyl Styles »

Sitting next to Andy (no less) I managed to spot TIMELIER in Round 7. This spot of mine was almost the best thing about the contest, but seeing Heather return to life after her heart apparently stood still was also quite good.
Fantastic game, both players, we have had a thrilling end to the series :lol:
Edward McCullagh
Series 64 Champion

Post by Edward McCullagh »

What a game!!!
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Philip Jarvis wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:Also I don't know how to say this in a more polite way, but I think the majority of players here are not all that interested in what scrabble words are valid or invalid
Agreed.
No problems, I'll dumb myself down. Apologies to all. Sometimes it can be a learning tool knowing (in this instance) LAMITER* is not allowed... but MALTIER is ;)

MALTIER then goes with A, C, E, N and T for 6 allowable eights....

... and 11 possible nines which include MATERIALS, TREADMILL, WATERMILL and TERMINALS - to give an example :)

So how does a Countdown contestant/apterite boost his/her word knowledge :?: Word by word or by certain combinations that lead to a) allowable words and b) longer words :?:

Mauro
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

szodiac wrote:So how does a Countdown contestant/apterite boost his/her word knowledge :?: Word by word or by certain combinations that lead to a) allowable words and b) longer words :?:

Mauro
By learning/quoting words from ODE3 rather than some other dictionary which is not valid to the game.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

szodiac wrote:
Philip Jarvis wrote:
Agreed.
No problems, I'll dumb myself down. Apologies to all. Sometimes it can be a learning tool knowing (in this instance) LAMITER* is not allowed... but MALTIER is ;)

... and 11 possible nines which include MATERIALS, TREADMILL, WATERMILL and TERMINALS - to give an example :)

So how does a Countdown contestant/apterite boost his/her word knowledge :?: Word by word or by certain combinations that lead to a) allowable words and b) longer words :?:

Mauro
Well, apterites learn different words by word stemming and game play, I'm sure you know what word stemming is as you demonstrated it in your comment, well that's the way I do it, plus I use anahack programmed to ODE words for obscure scrambles
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

David Barnard wrote:I use anahack programmed to ODE words for obscure scrambles
I F***ING KNEW IT!
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

I thought it was quite funny to hear ORGASM from a girl so polite and inoffensive as Heather ;) :D

Great game, my money was on David to win the series, but very well done Heather. Should be a great final can't wait :D
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Adam Gillard wrote:
David Barnard wrote:I use anahack programmed to ODE words for obscure scrambles
I F***ING KNEW IT!

Haha, implementing them is another matter :)
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Woo! Another cracking match. Congrats on making the final, Heather. Well played David - as you say, if you're going to go out it's best to go out like that.
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Thought the previous two games were excellent but this was even better.

Heather's "materiel" was surely as good a spot in this game as "planetoid" in an earlier one.

But David's been brilliant with some of his words too and must have been gutted to lose out - but extremely magnanimous in defeat. Well played both, really looking forward to tomorrow's final. Hope they gave Heather enough time between recordings to get her composure back after that finale.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

That was absolutely fantastic to watch! Your reaction to winning Heather was absolutely wonderful and reminiscent of the series 65 final.

Congratulations to David as well who was very gracious in defeat and clearly a very formidable opponent throughout (I haven't watched any preliminary games this series but from recaps it's clear the standard was high as always.)

Very excited for tomorrow's final! Both finalists are worthy winners, but I'm secretly (or not so secretly) rooting for Heather. :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Heather's reaction was awesome. Best winning of a game ever without doubt probably. So cool to watch. Clearly there is only one people's finalist.

And David - expected you to get the conundrum after your "this is a great game make sure you watch it" comment the other day, usually knobs on this forum only post things like that if they ended up winning, so it was refreshing to be surprised. Fair play to you, and unlucky.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

CRIKEY BLIMEY!!!!! THAT WAS A GAME AND A HALF!!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

(P.S. Apologies for the lateness, been unexpectedly busy tonight, but don't worry, normal service will be resumed shortly. 8-) )

When I heard that everyone was saying that this semi-final was something not to miss, I thought, surely you must be joking, after the amazement of yesterday's semi.

But, this game had just about everything (with the possible exception of a tiebreak conundrum), and it was without doubt one of the best semi-finals in the history of the show!!! (Certainly didn't expect to say that twice this week. :P )

David, you performed brilliantly during your run and deserve huge credit for getting to the series semi-finals. :)

And Heather, I must admit I didn't give you much of a chance against this young master, but you surprised not only me I'm sure with your impressive performance today, and I hope that the final tomorrow will be another brilliant match. ;) :) :D

ARIOSO in round 1, SNAFUED in round 2 and DISTANCE in round 12.

Not that I wish to steal any thunder, I did actually max the game, which made me :mrgreen:
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

I have now just about got my breath back(!), and would like to thank everyone for their kind comments. I am glad that people enjoyed watching the game, and could sense the tension and excitement! I echo David’s comment that it was a fantastic game to be part of and immensely enjoyable. It could not have been closer, and I was lucky to solve the conundrum in time. Now on to the Final Countdown… I mean, Countdown Final! My face is giving nothing away :|
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:Heather's reaction was awesome. Best winning of a game ever without doubt probably. So cool to watch. Clearly there is only one people's finalist.

And David - expected you to get the conundrum after your "this is a great game make sure you watch it" comment the other day, usually knobs on this forum only post things like that if they ended up winning, so it was refreshing to be surprised. Fair play to you, and unlucky.
I thought he wouldn't win the series when he said that it was a must watch with great games before the QFs started. And also, his comments about the semi made me think he'd lose. It's standard posting psychology.

But great game - well done/bad luck etc.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

szodiac wrote:
Philip Jarvis wrote:
Agreed.

Mauro
I don't see the problem really. People can always ignore these posts. It's like when people post alternative numbers solutions and people moan about that. Read and enjoy or ignore.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:Firstly, No.2 Seed David "The Ross-On-Wye 'Recking Ball" Barnard
Where did this come from by the way? And why is it recking as opposed to wrecking?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Firstly, No.2 Seed David "The Ross-On-Wye 'Recking Ball" Barnard
Where did this come from by the way? And why is it recking as opposed to wrecking?
To alliterate with the R of Ross-On-Wye, obviously, 'Oby.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Indeed, almost helped by that little apostrophe I put before the R as well. :idea:

It worked with Eddie McCullagh in Series 64, so I thought I'd revive the idea. :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

OK, but spelling doesn't matter in alliteration you buffoons!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
I'm angry, 'Att.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Heather's reaction was awesome. Best winning of a game ever without doubt probably. So cool to watch. Clearly there is only one people's finalist.

I thought he wouldn't win the series when he said that it was a must watch with great games before the QFs started. And also, his comments about the semi made me think he'd lose. It's standard posting psychology.
Interesting. I want to hear Gevin's Amazing Posting-Psychology-Based Predictions for the recently-played CoC matches involving members of this forum. Assuming you haven't found out the results already, of course.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:

Interesting. I want to hear Gevin's Amazing Posting-Psychology-Based Predictions for the recently-played CoC matches involving members of this forum. Assuming you haven't found out the results already, of course.
I haven't seen any posts that have made me think anything to be honest.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I thought he wouldn't win the series when he said that it was a must watch with great games before the QFs started. And also, his comments about the semi made me think he'd lose. It's standard posting psychology.
How bout this one? :? :shock: :o :( :) :oops: :!: :?: :o :| :mrgreen: :!: :?: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote: Interesting. I want to hear Gevin's Amazing Posting-Psychology-Based Predictions for the recently-played CoC matches involving members of this forum. Assuming you haven't found out the results already, of course.
How bout this one? :? :shock: :o :( :) :oops: :!: :?: :o :| :mrgreen: :!: :?: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
James Robinson wins?