Spoilers for Wednesday October 24th 2012 (Series 67 #57)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Wednesday October 24th 2012 (Series 67 #57)

Post by Jordan F »

This is another big day. And we've had a lot of those this year. First of all, I learned that the number after 6 is in fact NOT another 6. Secondly, Rose Boyle has a chance to become the fifth octochamp of the series. She could also end up in a variety of positions on the leader board. A loss will likely leave her in the number 6 spot unless she manages to score at least 110 and loses. If she does win, she needs to score at least 70 to surpass Chris Marshall, at least 85 to surpass Tia Corkish, and at least 96 to surpass Liam Shaw. I believe as long as she does surpass any of these people, she will guarantee her place in the finals, certainly if she surpasses Tia or Liam.

Join James for the potential coronation later.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday October 24th 2012 (Series 67 #57)

Post by Jordan F »

EMPANEL as a beater in the ENAMEL round.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Jordan F wrote:EMPANEL as a beater in the ENAMEL round.
EMPLANE as an alt to EMPANEL too.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Well done to Rose for becoming an octochamp and securing her place in the finals. Always had things in control by the end too, I don't think she ever had a crucial.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

CAMPIER in round 11.

Great run from Rose. She had some tough opponents along the way and was behind in five of the eight games she played, so to avoid a crucial conundrum is pretty impressive. It shows that she has the right mentality; not to be phased when things are going against her. Pretty tight between seeds 2 and 5, with Liam on 708 points, Rose on 701, Tia on 697 and Chris on 682.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Yes very well done by Rose. I loved the way every declaration she made ended with a tiny question mark.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Alt numbers: 1st (((5+1)x6)+50)x10+7, 2nd 100+75+(5x8)+4-1
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

Well done RoBo! :-)

Some truly awful letters today - probably cost you a place on the leaderboard.

With all these Octochamps being crowned I am in danger of falling off the leaderboad despite having 722 points!! :o
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

Also, with all the talk of insects before the game started I was surprised nobody got INSECT in round 1!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Very well done, Rose. ;) :) :D

That makes it the first time we've had back-to-back female octochamps in consecutive episodes since Lucy Roberts & Margaret Foster in Series 41 in 1999.

CYSTEINE in round 1, APODOUS in round 2, TAUTOGS in round 3, THERIACS in round 9 and RELIEVOS in round 13.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Congratulations, Rose. EUCHARIST was a brilliant spot even if it does have a capital E.
James Robinson wrote:Very well done, Rose. ;) :) :D

That makes it the first time we've had back-to-back female octochamps in consecutive episodes since Lucy Roberts & Margaret Foster in Series 41 in 1999.
In his recap yesterday, Jack claimed this happened in Series 48. He's right - Julia Wilkinson's eighth game was the first game of that series, and she was followed immediately by Grace Page.

Edit: wait, did you exclude that because Julia Wilkinson's run being interrupted by the series 47 finals meant they weren't "consecutive episodes"?
Edit 2: or just read what Jack said.
Last edited by Graeme Cole on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

I was about to mention it again in this thread but then I realised that Julia Wilkinson's run was interrupted by the series finals. I'm therefore not sure it counts as "consecutive episodes".
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jack Worsley wrote:I was about to mention it again in this thread but then I realised that Julia Wilkinson's run was interrupted by the series finals. I'm therefore not sure it counts as "consecutive episodes".
Yes, that's why I deliberately added "consecutive", otherwise what just happened above would've happened. :P
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

I thought that Rose was better than Liam Shaw who she is ultimately behind, so that's a bit disappointing. Then again maybe she should have seen the conundrum.

I missed a few easy things there and still got 11 maxes, how many you get JR?
Mike Whiteoak

Post by Mike Whiteoak »

OK, anyone please, help me on this! I'm getting an idea of some of the words I could use in Scrabble that are no good for Countdown (my GLADIEST was no good in Round 8, NOVELISER no good Round 13, and RELIEVING does not anagram to INVEIGLER) but where can I look things up? I'm not even sure exactly which dictionary Countdown uses these days - whatever it is, is there an online version of it?
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Mike Whiteoak wrote:OK, anyone please, help me on this! I'm getting an idea of some of the words I could use in Scrabble that are no good for Countdown (my GLADIEST was no good in Round 8, NOVELISER no good Round 13, and RELIEVING does not anagram to INVEIGLER) but where can I look things up? I'm not even sure exactly which dictionary Countdown uses these days - whatever it is, is there an online version of it?
If you subscribe to apterous there is a dictionary where you can check the validity of any words. Might be worth the 15 quid alone, that, plus then as a bonus you can play a load of countdown too.
Thanks mainly to Giles Hutchings et al it's about 99.99% accurate to the current version of the Oxford English Dictionary version 3.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Andy Platt wrote:I missed a few easy things there and still got 11 maxes, how many you get JR?
Yeah, I missed a few maxes in the middle, but still got 12. :) Shocked at missing KETONE though. :(
Mike Whiteoak

Post by Mike Whiteoak »

Andy Platt wrote:
If you subscribe to apterous there is a dictionary where you can check the validity of any words. Might be worth the 15 quid alone, that, plus then as a bonus you can play a load of countdown too.
Thanks mainly to Giles Hutchings et al it's about 99.99% accurate to the current version of the Oxford English Dictionary version 3.
Thanks Andy, I didn't know that - guess I should have looked, I joined apterous a couple of days ago.

15 quid? Bloody hell, I paid 20!
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Mike Whiteoak wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:
Thanks Andy, I didn't know that - guess I should have looked, I joined apterous a couple of days ago.

15 quid? Bloody hell, I paid 20!
Yeah I just dived into the subscribe page and you're right. It was still 15 in about april which was when I extended mine