Spoilers for Wednesday September 26th 2012 (Series 67 #38)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Wednesday September 26th 2012 (Series 67 #38)

Post by Jordan F »

This is a very interesting game today for several reasons.

First, it's a chance for Liam Shaw to become the third octochamp of this series. There's also some questions about his placing. If he gets 97 or less points in a loss, he'll stay at number 4, unless he gets exactly 97 points and a correct conundrum (If he gets exactly 97 points but no conundrum, I don't know). If he loses with 98 points or more, he'll overtake Grant Waters. A win with 58 points or more will put him ahead of Chris Marshall for number 2, as well as a win with exactly 57 and a conundrum (again, if he gets exactly 58 points, wins but does not get the conundrum, I don't know). With all of these scenarios though, one of our own is going to be standing in his way. A rare example of a forumite who's not an apterite, Jessica "Qwizical" Pratesi has to get through the seven time winner to start her own path. Can she win at the expense of Liam (and beat her father Mauro's Countdown win total of 0 in the process)? Due to an early cancellation of tapings because of Susie's eye infection, we have a new guest in the corner for today through Friday, impressionist Alistair McGowan.

With all of this going on, join James for the recap later.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday September 26th 2012 (Series 67 #3

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Jordan F wrote:A rare example of a forumite who's not an apterite, Jessica "Qwizical" Pratesi has to get through the seven time winner to start her own path.
o rly?
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Jordan F wrote:A rare example of a forumite who's not an apterite, Jessica "Qwizical" Pratesi has to get through the seven time winner to start her own path.
o rly?
Mea culpa, mea culpa.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Looks like McGowan's had another couple of hair transplants.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Alternate second numbers game:

((9-1) x 2 + 7) x 10 + 6
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

Susie's origins of words about Galvanise. Now where have i heard that word before?!
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Arguably one of the most exciting finishes I've seen in a long time.

That was a nailbiter to say the least. Very well done to Liam for becoming an octochamp under those circumstances and that pressure. Commiserations Jessica, you came across a tough opponent and had the lead on him for some time.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Good match, well done to Liam on becoming an octochamp.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Coming from behind on a crucial conundrum on his 8th game against a strong opponent? That's how all the best octochamps do it! Congrats Liam!
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Great game, possibly the best of the series so far. Well played Liam and well deserved octochampdom after a very solid run. I'm sure he'll give most people a game at the finals.

Unlucky there Jessica, losing by a single point is very cruel but you came up against a good champion. You had some good spots yourself, notably PAROLING, while MIMOSA was very nice, something I hadn't heard of, even if it wasn't the max. If you're reading this, what did you decide not to risk in round 13? I assume it was either BOILOVER (valid) of OVERBOIL (invalid). If it was the former, unlucky.

SOLIDEST as well as DISSOLVE in round 2 and UNEASILY in round 11 (wasn't properly paying attention so DC might have declared that).

Last numbers: (10x6+4)x7+6/2 = 451
Last edited by Jack Worsley on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

Unlucky Jessica! Great game.
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

Yes, very unlucky to Jessica. I can imagine it might have been nerve-wracking being in the studio about to start filming and then being told to come back in another week or so! I was sure it was going to go Jessica's way but Liam kept it very tight and appeared IMHO to raise his game a little to get through. No idea where that conundrum came from though. I was still on -ING words when he buzzed in!
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Great game, I think the standard on Countdown has been very good this week.

I'd have gone for OVERBOIL in round 13.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Martin Long wrote:I'd have gone for OVERBOIL in round 13.
I was thinking of the invalid blokier.

Sorry to see Jessica lose - at least she is still the reigning COREA Junior Champion.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Jessica 'QwizicaL' Pratesi

Post by Jessica 'QwizicaL' Pratesi »

Gonna try n answer all your questions in one here.. Bear with me!

I am actually an apterite (Eoin's doing he wanted to play me, now somebody tell him to come to the WYSC)
And Oli.. I will be attacking u with stinky socks on the way up to Bradford! I actually did originally mention u in the original intro but them edit wotnot people musta thought it was unfair to give me that sorta intro so decided on ducks instead (get on my FB timeline if u wanna see em)
I cant actually remember R13.. I refuse to see the episode as i was crap, Nick was crap(honest), and tbh i almost get fed up of people giving me such a big rep cos i hardly ever live up to the thing in the first place.
Also.. My stomach growled in the green room.. And knowing my stomach i knew what was to come before we even started (it wasnt sick i did that already)

One of the issues with my numbers games was actual the way it was recorded! I hate being asked to do things and made to wait and it does my head in most days.. All i worked out of the conundrum was ing and ium (i had to sit up to see that monitor im only 5ft 1)

And James..i assume you have no idea WHY i have the nickname Qwizical.. No one ever refers to me by that name if they know my real one (if Jessica is my real name :P) and why i spell it like i cant spell.. No one will know the origin of QwizicaL either (we need that now) and where i first used it (cue the unknown)

Im prolly gonna duck (quack) out of Countdown for a while.. Partly because of college.. Partly because of what happened.. Partly cos im fed up of my stomach predicting the future O_o

I also hope these people live up to the promise Nick made to me.. Otherwise theyve given me a false sense of hope when i really dont want it.. I assume itll be in 2years, 6years, when they get rid of Nick, or when i feel like caring again (i spent 2 months after my exams practising!)

End of rant.. Back to reality
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

3rd Numbers Alt.: (((6 x 10) + 4) x 7) + (6 / 2) = 451
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Jessica 'QwizicaL' Pratesi wrote:One of the issues with my numbers games was actual the way it was recorded! I hate being asked to do things and made to wait and it does my head in most days..
By this I presume you mean that you took issue with the fact that they have to turn the board around for the numbers rounds. I presume this mainly because you spent quite a lot of one of the later recordings that day complaining rather loudly about it in the audience. During the rounds. Much to the annoyance of those seated in the row behind you.

Much as I sympathise with your nerves before recording and the fact that it sucks to lose (especially on a crucial), that's a ridiculous excuse. Everyone has to wait for the board to be turned round. What exactly were you expecting? Rachel to wave a magic wand and have the letters board transformed into a numbers one? (That might've taken a few seconds to sort out too, y'know.)

Sorry if I'm being rude, but rather than coming up with ten dozen excuses why you lost, perhaps you should accept that you made a few mistakes by chickening words, that your opponent matched you fair and square throughout the game and that he came from behind with a good conundrum solve. A little more grace in defeat certainly wouldn't go amiss.

Oh and incidentally, if you want to be allowed on again in a few years, insulting the host is probably not the best way to go about it. Just saying.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Unlucky there Jessica. You didn't actually play badly, but Liam's a strong player who's been watching the show longer than you've been alive, so I don't think there's too much shame in losing to him. All the talk beforehand about your Scrabble awards and whatnot must have put a lot of pressure on, which couldn't have helped. Whichever side you're on though, it was a good game to watch.

Jen's right though, the way the numbers round is done is the same for everyone. They need to pause while they whirl the board round, so they record Nick's link from the letters round to the numbers round both before and after whirling it. Yes, it means Nick asks you what numbers you want twice, and on the first time you don't have to answer, and loads of people get caught out by that ("Fred, it's you to pick the numbers." "Okay, I'll have one large and-" "Wait a minute Fred, let's set up the numbers board first...") I don't know if they always use the first take or the second take or whichever one they think flows most naturally or whatever, but it's nothing to do with Nick - they did exactly the same with Jeff.
Jessica 'QwizicaL' Pratesi

Post by Jessica 'QwizicaL' Pratesi »

No.. It was because they ask u for the numbers and make u wait before u actually reply. Im impatient with stuff like that. Im used to distractions cos ive played scrabble thru a loud door alarm. And i wasnt nervous.. Plenty of cameras around the scrabble world that ive had to get used to over the past 8 years.. And i werent moping in the audience.. Just annoyed at having a rep

FYI if i lost on my own stupidity fine, wotever, (i think the word i didnt try was BLOKIER, CSW only and i didnt put an S on DESTINE cos those words are generally adjectives or mass nouns) but it was obvious i couldnt concentrate for wotever reason cos im generally pretty decent at maths. and I SHOOK LIAM'S HAND AT THE END or was that edited out?

Also, if u were there at the time they stopped recording numerous times (about 5 or 6) to sort out the set and to correct Nick for making booboos (he asked me twice in two letters rounds for my words first when it should have been Liam's) and this was the first recording after 2 months out.. But Rachel and Suzie didnt forget how to do stuff

TBH im still a teenager and teachers keep wanting students to have selfish attitudes.. I cant help being the way i am or how my peers act around me or how im told to act. FWIW i dont even know if i actually want to record anything TV like again.

Now back to pretending im a duck and remembering how the Lilywhites beat the Terriers :D
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jessica 'QwizicaL' Pratesi wrote:No.. It was because they ask u for the numbers and make u wait before u actually reply.
Okay, that's new. It probably also explains why my numbers pick in my game against Ed had to be redone about five times. Come to think of it, Nick did say I was "like a greyhound coming out of the blocks". That makes sense now, thanks. Although I don't know why they didn't just say "Graeme, stop being so eager with your numbers selection."
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Jessica, everyone else who loses does so without whining. You may not see the need to apologise for who you are, but perhaps understand how being who you are impresses upon others. Oh and Countdown owes you nothing so treat it accordingly - that is to say, with respect.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Jessica 'QwizicaL' Pratesi wrote:Gonna try n answer all your questions in one here.. Bear with me!

I am actually an apterite (Eoin's doing he wanted to play me, now somebody tell him to come to the WYSC)
And Oli.. I will be attacking u with stinky socks on the way up to Bradford! I actually did originally mention u in the original intro but them edit wotnot people musta thought it was unfair to give me that sorta intro so decided on ducks instead (get on my FB timeline if u wanna see em)
I cant actually remember R13.. I refuse to see the episode as i was crap, Nick was crap(honest), and tbh i almost get fed up of people giving me such a big rep cos i hardly ever live up to the thing in the first place.
Also.. My stomach growled in the green room.. And knowing my stomach i knew what was to come before we even started (it wasnt sick i did that already)

One of the issues with my numbers games was actual the way it was recorded! I hate being asked to do things and made to wait and it does my head in most days.. All i worked out of the conundrum was ing and ium (i had to sit up to see that monitor im only 5ft 1)

And James..i assume you have no idea WHY i have the nickname Qwizical.. No one ever refers to me by that name if they know my real one (if Jessica is my real name :P) and why i spell it like i cant spell.. No one will know the origin of QwizicaL either (we need that now) and where i first used it (cue the unknown)

Im prolly gonna duck (quack) out of Countdown for a while.. Partly because of college.. Partly because of what happened.. Partly cos im fed up of my stomach predicting the future O_o

I also hope these people live up to the promise Nick made to me.. Otherwise theyve given me a false sense of hope when i really dont want it.. I assume itll be in 2years, 6years, when they get rid of Nick, or when i feel like caring again (i spent 2 months after my exams practising!)

End of rant.. Back to reality

Interesting to hear your views Jessica, but Liam may just have played better marginally on the day, as you know with anything competitive it is on the day that matters and anything can happen in the studio. If you are feeling ill on the day then you just have to play through it and try not to let it affect your games, me and Heather were both Ill on our recordings but we played through it.

If your experiences with Nick wasn't any good then we all apologise but what is it about him that you dislike? I found him to be nice, maybe slightly opinionated but that's not a bad thing in my eyes. I hope you don't dislike him because you lost because that is just sour grapes.

Also your gripe with the amount of time it takes for them to set up the numbers, well, you just have to find a way of occupying that time, I simply unwinded and thought of nothing, it's only about 30 seconds but it is enough time to refresh your brain.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Mark Deeks wrote:Jessica, everyone else who loses does so without whining. You may not see the need to apologise for who you are, but perhaps understand how being who you are impresses upon others. Oh and Countdown owes you nothing so treat it accordingly - that is to say, with respect.

Here here
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Mark Deeks wrote:Jessica, everyone else who loses does so without whining.
Quoted for posterity Mark "I Should Never Have Fucking Lost to Carl Fucking Williams" Deeks :P . Hey, it's Countdown, something we're all pretty passionate about like Jessica is. It hurts to lose at something that you are passionate about.

My input, since I've not posted anything very opinionated at all for months:

Firstly, you made me tune into Countdown and watch a full episode, which is a rare occasion for me now. I was intrigued by the hype and talk from other apterites about how you would get on. Alas, I did find out the result beforehand and when I heard that you had been beaten in your first game there was a sense of satisfaction I felt inside. This was not because I am malicious but because I had read some of your Countdown statuses (accessible to the public) on Facebook of which about 75% were pretty disparaging about the players on the TV so I thought it was quite deserving...

...but then I watched the show. And there was no indication that who I saw on the TV was the same person that you convey online. It was remarkable. I thought you came across well; you appeared very modest at your evident talent with words when Nick reeled off your successes at Scrabble and Mind Olympiads and you were polite and all-round thoroughly pleasant throughout even in defeat at the end...

...and then you posted on c4c in this topic and with one sweeping post you were the online Jessica again.

Now, personally, you didn't deserve to lose that game, you had DESTINES, you had that first numbers game, Liam made a last-second spot (PAROLING) to save his neck and you were ultimately pipped by the lowest margin that you can be pipped by in Countdown. You were unfortunate. But I couldn't help think that maybe you losing your first game was just one of those things that was meant to be; like Chelsea's unlikely winning of the Champion's League last year.

You were a victim of too much pressure from others (not yourself). You will continue to excel at Scrabble and win more competitions and you'll reap enjoyment and happiness from it so focus on those things. And as for Countdown, I don't doubt that at some point in the future you will appear on the show again. Don't beat yourself up. Liam's a good player and deserves his place as a finalist.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

That is interesting, I always thought they were separate boards. Where is the conundrum board?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jojo Apollo wrote:That is interesting, I always thought they were separate boards. Where is the conundrum board?
Opposite the letters/numbers board, on the other side of the studio.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

I kind of was reluctant to post about this situation, but it's gotten to the point where I might as well speak my mind (Outside of apterous confidence is an issue for me).

I feel as if this discussion is becoming less about the actual game itself and starting to become personal. I feel as if it's becoming more about the players and not about the playing of the game (or at least, it seems as if unlike the Carl Williams situation, the actions that are being discussed occurred outside of the recorded events). I think for whatever reason, this particular chain of events has people particularly heated up. While I have my opinions all around, this was not something that I feel as if is going to make a major impact on me today, tomorrow, or the next day. If it's something that I felt as if impacted me on a larger scale, then I would deal with it. But it's not really, I'll just make my spoiler thread tomorrow and say that there's two new contestants. I'm part of this site to have fun, play along with Countdown and talk about a show that I really enjoy even though I'll probably never get to play. And I feel as if in this discussion and/or chain of events, people have lost that sense. Maybe it's just me being sensitive to this situation, but it's how I see it, and I think as a result of it, everybody should take a deep breath and relax to some degree. Something about this seems to have gone further than I expected it to be.

Two cents over. Maybe I'm in the wrong about this in some way, but it's how I feel.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Jojo Apollo wrote:That is interesting, I always thought they were separate boards. Where is the conundrum board?
Opposite the letters/numbers board, on the other side of the studio.
Ah, cheers Graeme.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Just watched this game. A good contest, Liam did well to come through on the conundrum to achieve octochampdom (I hadn't solved it when he got it). Bit annoying that Nick didn't seem to realise initially that it was a crucial! Jessica, you gave a good account of yourself, both in the gameplay and in your polite and genial demeanour. You seem like a really nice person. I have no idea what people have against you; it seems to be related to facebook posts, which as Jordan has pointed out, is completely irrelevant! I hope you don't feel downhearted reading what people have said here. I implore people (partly from personal experience) not to judge someone's character from their online ramblings, especially when the person in question is in their early- to mid-teens.
Jordan F wrote:everybody should take a deep breath and relax to some degree
Sound.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Mark Deeks wrote:Jessica, everyone else who loses does so without whining.
Quoted for posterity Mark "I Should Never Have Fucking Lost to Carl Fucking Williams" Deeks :P .
But I didn't go blaming anybody other than myself. Well, and you, for shouting "FUCK HIM UP!" about five seconds before we took our seats. Thanks, douchenozzle.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I joke!

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

It’s not easy to defeat a player on a winning streak, and I think that Jessica did really well to run Liam so close - conundrums that don’t end in ING are, let’s face it, the work of the Devil! And Jessica, being bright and young, may well have another bite of the Countdown cherry in years to come.

I enjoyed Alistair McGowan’s poem about Jeff Stelling, especially the rhyme with 'snorkelling'.

PS I was not ill as such during my recording; I just had an irritating cough, which you might hear when the show is broadcast (it's due to be in November).
kerryalcock
Rookie

Post by kerryalcock »

I was at the studio (my special was filmed later) and found your attitude terrible Jessica.
I appreciate you are young, but you really need to do something about that chip on your shoulder.People might tolerate it from a 16 year old but they won't be so tolerant in a few years.
I doubt the cd team were too delighted with you either - sarah looked utterly uncomfortable in the green room when you were saying "I come with a reputation"...in fact,she just said "if we're still on in 20 years, come back".
A little humility and grace goes a long way. I hope you learn a lot from your cd experience.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

I think credit is due to Jessica for at least keeping her feelings off-camera. As Ryan said, she came across perfectly well on the show, and I'm sure the typical viewer will see her as an entirely pleasant and gracious person. Hopefully you can take some solace in that Jessica, as well as in how good a contest you helped produce.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Can someone point me to the post where Jessica asked for a personality assessment? This all seems a bit unnecessary.
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

At the time I thought it was a tremendous game worthy of a classic episode which will definitely go down in the annuls of 'classic Countdown'. (Another 'not to miss one' is scheduled for this Friday's special!)

I was more concerned how it was eventually broadcast, and true enough there was a lot missing from the final programme. It was re-edited to fit the time slot on a major scale. Jessica *did* tell Nick off about back to back Youth Scrabble championships citing Oliver Garner *had* won it last year - that came out! As did the bit about eating chocolate ducks. More importantly what also came out was Nick telling Jessica that he is very, very frightened of her word knowledge and how she would be a major threat to Liam. Believe me, that wasn't a very clever piece of interviewing on Nick's part.

And yes, the handshake at the end was definitely left out. At least I didn't see one broadcast. They really did shake hands!

I will have to see it again closely to see if the letters board *did* wobble during the first letters round... it had to be screwed down later on in the recording.

Jessica *does* come with a massive reputation having been the 'youth most likely to succeed' in the Scrabble Community for so many years. Even at Secondary school she now mostly known as the 'Scrabble champion'. If only she were another Allan Saldanha - but she ain't! This is what annoys us most as is that it is grossly over-exaggerated and she's always expected to do well. Fine when it works but I have to remind her to accept it when things do go wrong. Hopefully her negativity will grow out with age. I have to remind her it was just one of those 'off' days that one gets every now and then and Countdown is still, and always will be, a great game.

She is normally so good with the numbers and spots longer words than the contestant with just a second's look at the selection. I did beat her in round 8 with DIATOMS (*without* a solver I hasten to add :) ) which is a Jessica beater and a rarity for me. And a common Scrabble combination :)

Probably just a well she lost as a day later she had to attend her College enrolment - winning would have meant mum having to enrol for her! Not good :( Mum's picture on her College pass - hmmmmm !

What was screened came across very, very well. Kudos to the production team, excellent job guys! I only wish they could have recorded the two specials first (not last) as Sarah originally told us! Still she was a brave girl and didn't break down on camera.

Liam Shaw, as with Dave Butcher, my opponent in my programme, was beatable! Can't believe how many times Liam had clawed back from behind to become an Octochamp. On the day, sadly, lady-luck was not on our sides. Well done Liam and I'll be rooting for you in the finals - of course.

As for presenters.... Jeff Stelling was a true professional and came over as a true genius at presenting. Sad to say, having now seen Nick present the way he does, it justifies my thoughts about him. I do hope he gets fed up with Damian shouting down his ear-piece all the time and another host, suitable for the show, found.

Mauro
kerryalcock
Rookie

Post by kerryalcock »

Mauro, you seem like such a lovely man :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Alternative solution for 2nd numbers:

((6+7)*9+1)*2

8-)
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives with her two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Graeme Cole wrote:Unlucky there Jessica. You didn't actually play badly, but Liam's a strong player who's been watching the show longer than you've been alive, so I don't think there's too much shame in losing to him. All the talk beforehand about your Scrabble awards and whatnot must have put a lot of pressure on, which couldn't have helped. Whichever side you're on though, it was a good game to watch.

Jen's right though, the way the numbers round is done is the same for everyone. They need to pause while they whirl the board round, so they record Nick's link from the letters round to the numbers round both before and after whirling it. Yes, it means Nick asks you what numbers you want twice, and on the first time you don't have to answer, and loads of people get caught out by that ("Fred, it's you to pick the numbers." "Okay, I'll have one large and-" "Wait a minute Fred, let's set up the numbers board first...") I don't know if they always use the first take or the second take or whichever one they think flows most naturally or whatever, but it's nothing to do with Nick - they did exactly the same with Jeff.
I thought she did really well Graeme but was unlucky to lose by a point, hopefully she will allowed to come on Countdown in the future again :D
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Can someone point me to the post where Jessica asked for a personality assessment? This all seems a bit unnecessary.
Yeah. This all seems a bit over the top. Having said that, Jono, in assessing your personality, I think you are a complete cunt.
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Was this recorded in the new Salford studios at Media City? Or back in Manchester city centre? There was a separate numbers board in the Leeds days, so the whole thing flowed much more smoothly, and the audience were closer to the action (and seen far more often than at Manchester). I was hoping that wold be the case at the new site.

Presumably in the two months gap between recordings Nick has been recording Junior Apprentice. It has seemed to me from the start that he has never quite recognised that whereas Apprentice candidates big themselves up and deserve to be shot down Countdown contestants are completely different, well most are. I can understand why some people - and especially someone young and inexperienced - would not find his manner easy to cope with. He's totally well meaning and probably thinks that by building up a challenger he's being nice and helping them get over nerves - in practice it actually puts pressure on them at a time when they're probably anxious just to get on with it. But then, he was over 60 before he ever started a TV career and this is way different to his other role, so hats off to him for giving it a go.

Well done to Liam, and better luck next time Jessica, by when hopefully you'll be a little wiser and not attract quite so much negative feedback.
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Our original recording date would have been at Media City but later had confirmation it would be recorded back at the Granada Studios.

It was Dudley, the warm-up man, who explained to the audience that during the break the set was moved to Media City but... (and I had notice this with the new Blue Peter set against the old BBC Centre) the studios are too small so re-building the set at Media City was a no-go. So it was all returned to Granada Studios and rebuilt back on the old studio lot instead. Dudley did mention that by the end of this year they would be moving to Media City. (So maybe a new set is in the offing?) The Granada Studio certainly looks bigger than the Leeds set... if I remember rightly when I went up with Diane many years ago.

Think you hit the nail on the head when Nick speaks to contestants as if it were The Apprentice. What I find awkward about his nature is his timing. He can't deliver a joke the way Richard, Des L, Des O'C and Jeff did. Watching Nick, it was as if he was in a constant battle with presenting and listening to instructions in his ear-piece.

Thanks for the good luck with Jessica. I'm sure later in life she will develop grace and calmness - may need a few kids of her own to do it but it will come.

Mauro
Keith Bennett wrote:Was this recorded in the new Salford studios at Media City?

clipped

Presumably in the two months gap between recordings Nick has been recording Junior Apprentice. It has seemed to me from the start that he has never quite recognised that whereas Apprentice candidates big themselves up and deserve to be shot down Countdown contestants are completely different, well most are. I can understand why some people - and especially someone young and inexperienced - would not find his manner easy to cope with.

clipped

..... better luck next time Jessica, by when hopefully you'll be a little wiser and not attract quite so much negative feedback.
kerryalcock
Rookie

Post by kerryalcock »

Although Nick comes across quite awkward on CD, I am quite a fan. On Have I Got News For You he is quite sharp and funny. Off camera, I found him to be utterly charming and he seemed genuinely interested in me (he is quite interested in autism actually, as he has friends with autistic children)...I think you're right, in that he isn't used to listening to earpieces and he gets a little flustered. The man is a pensioner though, and they did ASK him to do it. I suppose they thought he'd be more like he was on HIGNFY.
szodiac wrote:Thanks for the good luck with Jessica. I'm sure later in life she will develop grace and calmness - may need a few kids of her own to do it but it will come.
What a good dad you seem to be. I'm sure it will with you to guide her :D
kerryalcock
Rookie

Post by kerryalcock »

Also, anyone who reads Private Eye will know that Media City has been riddled with countless problems.

Good use of my taxes. Cheers :D
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

kerryalcock wrote:Although Nick comes across quite awkward on CD, I am quite a fan. On Have I Got News For You he is quite sharp and funny. Off camera, I found him to be utterly charming and he seemed genuinely interested in me (he is quite interested in autism actually, as he has friends with autistic children)...I think you're right, in that he isn't used to listening to earpieces and he gets a little flustered. The man is a pensioner though, and they did ASK him to do it. I suppose they thought he'd be more like he was on HIGNFY.
szodiac wrote:Thanks for the good luck with Jessica. I'm sure later in life she will develop grace and calmness - may need a few kids of her own to do it but it will come.
What a good dad you seem to be. I'm sure it will with you to guide her :D
I went on expecting not to be a fan of him at all but I was pleasantly surprised, he talked alot about my golf, although there is one line that he said about me to the camera which I do hope is edited out and that was 'he tells me he's the best golfer in the club' lol, it makes me look like some cocky youth who thinks the world of himself when actually I never said that and tried to be modest. But all in all he's a nice man and my opinions of him will be altered.