Spoilers for Thursday August 16th 2012 (Series 67 Prelim 29)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday August 16th 2012 (Series 67 Prelim 29)

Post by Jordan F »

It's the end of the G-R-A-N-T era for now. He has a chance to become the third octochamp, or as some people might call him, O-C-T-O-G-R-A-N-T, in just 29 prelims. I don't know if that's a record or not, but it's impressive. Can he get the title? A win with 31 points or more gets him second place on the leaderboard. First place isn't 100% impossible, but he needs a near record score of 143 or more in a win.

Join James for the possible coronation recap later.
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Re: Spoilers for Thursday August 16th 2012 (Series 67 Prelim

Post by Grant Waters »

Well, as Charlie Cox says "That's shot the fox!"

I kinda liked the thought of being an O-C-T-O-G-R-A-N-T :cry:

However, after being 12 points behind in my first game, and having to endure a crucial conundrum, I'm completely amazed I got that far, and I'm just happy to have the teapot. Anything else is just a bonus.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement on here - it's been emotional.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

"Hottie in the Library"? Now I see Nick less as the refined gentleman I assumed him to be from watching The Apprentice, and more as a randy old man. Every time I watch the show he seems to be trying it on with Rachel or being smutty. He's like an older version of Keith Lemon or Borat, and the difference is he's not putting on a character. Yuk. At least he's getting better at presenting the show smoothly.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Unlucky today Grant, you ran into a very good opponent. Still a very good run though and keep practising for the finals.
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

Thanks Jack. Andy was a tough opponent - and I expect him to go on and win a few more games.

I think it all hinged on that 9 in round 2. 8v9 instead of e.g. 8v7 gives a 26 point swing and I never really got back in the game. SNEAKY in round 4 would have given me a chance (I thought of that today while watching the show). Getting closer on the final numbers round might have helped but I was never going to get that conundrum anyway so the damage was done earlier.

I was getting more and more tired as the day's filming went on and by about 20:30 my brain had fried.

Ironically, it was learning some good 9s that may have contributed to my defeat in Round 2 as one I had learned was TREENAILS so I spotted the singular and settled for that when there were 9s in there (Andy's REINFLATE and Peter's INTERLEAF).

Will enjoy watching the rest of the series unfolding now and hope there aren't too many Octochamps.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

A comment I meant to submit here earlier, but was in wrong thread :oops:

Alternatives - 2nd round INTERLEAF, 1st numbers 784=4x(9-1-1)x(25+3)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

RESTAGE/TRIAGES in round 1, GAUGED in round 3, KNIFES in round 4 (don't know if you were thinking of that, Grant), ALBEDOS/SHOALED in round 6, AMBRIES/ISOMERS in round 7 and LOUVRE/RECOIL in round 9.

1st Numbers Alt.: ((25 x (9 - 1)) - 4) x (3 + 1) = 784

Unlucky there, Grant, but as you say, as long as we don't have a series like Series 47, you should be in the finals. 8-)
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Congrats on a great run Grant - the fact it was a run of 7 wins rather than 8 doesn't really change that.
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

I did think of KNIFES James but instantly dismissed it as the plural is KNIVES. I didn't think of it in the present tense verb context (somebody might be able to tell me what the proper English is for that? Present participle?) e.g. "He knifes his assailant in the chest". Is that why KNIFES is valid? Anyway I didn't think of that on the day.

Yikes I never looked as far back as series 47 - that is incredible. :o
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

Innis Carson wrote:Congrats on a great run Grant - the fact it was a run of 7 wins rather than 8 doesn't really change that.
Thanks Innis. Nice of you to say so, although I think "Countdown Octochamp" would have looked good on my CV ;-)

Was a shame we didn't get to meet at the Walkabout but there's sure to be a next time.

Cheers.

P.S. How about a Heptochamp page on the wiki? Surely a Heptochamp is a rarer breed than an Octochamp :-)
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall »

Really unlucky Grant. Very close. Hopefully I'll see you in the finals. You got 40 more points than me which shows your potential. I am a lot less worried about my finals place now though but nothing is mathematically certain yet.

I was pleased to get the last numbers in the time and shocked when Rachel didn't. ((10+2) x 50) + ((100/25) x 9) = 636

She did well to get the 2nd one though ;)
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Good run, Grant. Don't worry about losing the last game, it's the seven wins that matter.
Edward McCullagh
Series 64 Champion

Post by Edward McCullagh »

Unlucky Grant! Hope you have done enough to make the finals :)