Grand Final Spoilers For Friday June 29th 2012

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Grand Final Spoilers For Friday June 29th 2012

Post by James Robinson »

So, here it is........, no, not Merry Christmas. :P It's the moment we always wait for every 6 months or so, the GRAND FINAL of Countdown. ;) :) :D

And with it taking place just before COHUD, it's going to be a spectacular weekend, I can guarantee you. Even more spectacular is the fact that both these finalists have signed up for the tournament, so whoever loses today could get instant revenge tomorrow. 8-)

Anyway, enough of that, we have 2 fine, young specimens waiting to show the country for the 11th and last time why they should be the Series 66 Champion of the show.

Our 2 finalists are the #1 Seed, Jonathan "The Sheffield Superkid" Rawlinson, and the #2 Seed, Jack "The Blackpool Bazooka" Worsley. These 2 players have accrued 15 centuries and 2,043 points between them. In terms of Apterous skill, both are right on the top of their games, and I think it's definitely hard to call a winner.

But, one thing I can guarantee you all is that whoever wins this final will be a deserving winner of this series, and will join the impressive elite who can already call themselves Series Champions. 8-)

Here, for one last time, are the stats for our finalists:

Firstly, No.1 Seed Jonathan Rawlinson - 10 Wins, 1,059 Points (Average: 105.9)
Highest Score: 120 vs. Stewart Calver (3rd Game)
Lowest Score: 93 vs. James Kelk (7th Game)
9's Achieved: 3/5
Total Points/Max/%: 1059/1232 (86%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 710/832 (85%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 259/300 (86%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 90/100 (90%)

Secondly, No.2 Seed Jack Worsley - 10 Wins, 984 Points (Average: 98.4)
Highest Score: 110 vs. Catherine Green (3rd Game)
Lowest Score: 75 vs. Mark Murphy (Quarter-Final)
9's Achieved: 2/7
Total Points/Max/%: 984/1262 (78%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 660/865 (76%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 284/297 (96%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 40/100 (40%)

Thomas will be around later with the final recap of the series. ;) :) :D
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Grand Final Spoilers For Friday June 29th 2012

Post by James Robinson »

1st Numbers: ((((8 + 1) x 10) + 6) x 7) + 1 = 673
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

PHOTIC to equal PITHOI
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

WHAT A FINISH!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

After Jack got RESUMING, I thought it was all over, but well done for making it a crucial, Jonathan.

Definitely one of the most tense finals in recent times, and I so thought Jonathan had got the conundrum when he buzzed in. :shock: :o

Very well done to you both for an entertaining final. 8-)

See you both at COHUD tomorrow too. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Great spirited final, well played lads, both very evenly matched. :)

Congrats to Jack on becoming the champ 8-) also well done to Jonathan on making the final.

Well done to the Countdown crew on another splendid series.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Congrats to Jack on becoming the series 66 champ, played really well throughout and 6 small helped you out again (though I found it amusing that RAchel called it your favorite while forgetting your 4 large streak of the prelims).

It's probably not that big of a deal but I'm sad that Jonathan never got his 1000 pound envelope given to him.

Historians, is the first time that the very first contestant of the series ended up winning it?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jordan F wrote:Historians, is the first time that the very first contestant of the series ended up winning it?
No, Wayne Summers won Series 24 back in 1992. There might've been others too, but definitely not.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Great game. Well done to both. Jonathan did well to come back in the last few rounds from 23 behind to make it a crucial conundrum. To play and win eight heats, then have about half an hour or so before being thrust into the quarter finals, then to go on and reach the final, your 11th game in three days, and take it to the very last round, is quite an achievement.

Congratulations to Jack on coming through and winning it, beating the top seed after losing the #1 spot on the very last heat of the series. Looking forward to seeing both of you in Huddersfield tomorrow. :-)
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Wooooooooow. So tense. Great game, guys - will admit I was hoping it would go to a tiebreak! Congratulations to Jack, but great almost-comeback there by Jonathan as well. PITHOI was a great spot.

When was the last time two consecutive finals went to crucials, incidentally?
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:When was the last time two consecutive finals went to crucials, incidentally?
Series 52 & 53.

Mark Tournoff winning 52 with literally 3 seconds to spare, followed by Richard Whiteley's last show in 53, when a 2nd conundrum was needed.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

James Robinson wrote:
Jordan F wrote:Historians, is the first time that the very first contestant of the series ended up winning it?
No, Wayne Summers won Series 24 back in 1992. There might've been others too, but definitely not.
To clarify, the first person to do that feat was David Trace, back in Series 9, in 1986. :ugeek:
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

It was a great final, and contested in a wonderful spirit - both Jack and Jonathan were totally down-to-earth and humble before and after this game was recorded. It seemed more like a casual game between friends than a grand final, and that's the way it ought to be really.

What wasn't mentioned in broadcast is that Jonathan actually solved STORYLINE just after he gave the wrong answer, which would have set up the second final tie-break in a row. You could see on his face that he saw OUTRAGE just too late as well. It must have been agonising to miss out on the title that narrowly, but you wouldn't have been able to tell from his face, or from talking to him just afterwards. To handle the defeat that graciously is a real testament to his character, and as much an achievement as his excellent run to the final.

Congratulations Jack on the well-deserved championship, and on holding your nerves so well throughout a very tense finals run. You, Jonathan and Peter are all lovely people and it was a pleasure to meet you.
peter lee
Rookie

Post by peter lee »

Congratulations to both Jack and Jonathan. There were two winners out there today. It was an absolute pleasure to meet two super young lads with an incredible talent for Countdown and not only that but they were so normal and down to earth as well. Both sets of parents must be so proud of you. Well done lads. !! Super game today, even better when I saw it recorded. Well done also to the Countdown team who made my daughters and guests feel very welcome. What an experience, will never forget it. Great also to meet several Apterites, Chris Butler,Niall Seymour, Kieran Bray, Kerry Alcock, Innis Carson, Paul Keane, Philip Jarvis and several others whose names elude for the moment. All nice people and will definitely try to make one of James's Countdown gatherings,might even tempt the group to have a tourney in Ireland !!
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Thank you for all the support I've received during my time on the show! This was another nail biting game and I have to give Jonathan great credit for the way he came back and pushed me all the way. I'm still disappointed that neither of us were at our best, maybe the occasion got to us. It could easily have been different and I certainly wouldn't have complained if Jonathan had won the series.

I could not have won the series without a bit of luck though. Towards the end of last series, I was on standby and would have been on in October if Nikki Roberts had won her final game. Had I got on, I would have had a tough first game and even if I had won it, I was certainly not good enough to even think about winning a series back then. Another bit of luck came yesterday when I needed the numbers games to win the match and I was fortunate to have two choices of numbers. I was also lucky today that Jonathan missed the words he'd normally get. Like Innis said, I think he saw OUTRAGE immediately after he declared. Like all of my other opponents, he was extremely sporting and not at all bitter about it.

Finally, I'd like to say that everyone I met on the journey was great, from the production team, including the hosts, and the contestants. It's an experience I'll never forget and I'd recommend it to anyone who's interested in the game. Whatever the outcome, the experience should me a memorable one. I hope that all future contestants enjoy it as much as I did. Good luck to anyone else going on the show and let's hope for an entertaining series 67!
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Another fantastic final.

I haven't followed this series as closely as previous ones, however I did see the top 3 seeds' runs and they were all finals worthy. Congratulations Jack, a very worthy winner and it was all done with utmost humility and enjoyment. Also, commiserations to Jonathan who has been brilliant all series. At 23 points down I was sure Jack had it sewn up but to have the nerve to bring it back to a crucial was excellent. It would have been great to see another tie-break conundrum but I thought, on the day, Jack deserved the victory.
Thanks for a great series and long may it continue. I too would love to partake in a CO- tourney in the future and it would be a dream (again) to return to the Countdown studios (although it would be a debut given the recent move.)

PS. Runners-up who lose to Jacks are cooler ;) :D
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Excellent game. I think that Jonathan had some bad nerves, but well done for making it crucial at the end. Surprisingly tricky conundrum.
kieranbray
Rookie

Post by kieranbray »

Congratulations Jack, you were a thoroughly deserving champion!!
Big well dones to Jonathan and Peter as well, you were both fantastic and would doubtless have been champions in other series. The finals have been a great watch and it's a pleasure to have been part of a great series overall :)
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Well done guys, great final, was always going to be well-deserved either way.

See you both tomorrow, you getting the drinks in I hope?

PS I had the same as Jack in every round apart from OUTLIER (diorite) and his 6 small solve (nowhere near)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Brilliant final you guys! Much enjoyed and appreciated. You both deserved to be there and even though it wasn't as high scoring as you'd both hope for, I kind of enjoyed it better that way. It was good seeing you beat each other in numerous rounds, Jack's numbers, Jawlinson's PITHOI (lovely) etc. When Jack pulled clear in the first round of the third "half" I said to myself "that's it", and even though it ultimately was "it", I did not expect the fightback from Rawlinson, quite superb. It was really unfortunate to see Jonathan solve the conundrum on 29s (hands outstretched saying it). Would have been one hell of an ending, but I think in that match, Jack definitely did just edge it. Well done!

I didn't watch this series as closely as I have past ones but clearly judging by the finals it was a bloody strong one. Everyone from 1-8 seed were playing great stuff and making some really close games. Bravo Series 66ers!
Tracey Lilly
Rookie

Post by Tracey Lilly »

What a good final - contested in the best of spirits. Well done Jack and Jonathan. Hope you enjoyed the game as much as the viewers did.
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall »

Good final. Well done to both, especially Jack.

It was nice to finally beat Jack on a numbers game (1st one). Some tough selections and split wins on rounds contributed to the lowish scores but still very high quality.
Joyce Phillips
Acolyte

Post by Joyce Phillips »

Wow! I've been away and have just caught up with hte finals. Well done Jack. You held your nerve in the semi and then again in the final.
kerryalcock
Rookie

Post by kerryalcock »

I'm a little late, but that's my style.

Just wanted to say Congrats to all the finalists - it was ace to be there and watch in person. Both Jack and Johnny were awesome, and as well as being fabulous players are also smashing people. Special mention also must go to Peter Lee, for being awesome, a gracious 3rd placer, and rather handsome :D

Saddest news of the day was Nick Hall leaving as soon as our Johnny pasted him, without stopping to wish the lads good luck or anything :(

Anyway, a fab final and much love to everyone who was there on the day :) X
Barry Bridger

Post by Barry Bridger »

Well played Jack. I've only just watched this, due to having a backlog of college work to complete, and have somehow managed to avoid the spoilers on the aptochat, so I didn't know the result. A really tense game with a nailbiting finish. This game really showed the importance of keeping your mental nerve, and how that can make such a difference.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

My Dad recorded the finals for me to watch on my return from a South America trip (I got back yesterday), and I thought I'd better watch the final today, as I won't be able to avoid spoilers much longer, what with CobliviLon being tomorrow. First of all, a huge well done to Jonathan for coming back and taking it to a (semi-) crucial. I really thought it was all over when Jack pulled so far ahead, but Jonathan came up with some great beaters to keep it close. Also, as has already been pointed out, Jonathan did so well just to compete at all, what with a gruelling run of 11 games in 3 days. A sterling effort worthy of the highest praise.

Now on to our Champion. Jack was consistently superb in his preliminary games, especially in the numbers rounds, and he really did exceptionally well to hold off a resurgent number 1 seed in the final. A very likable and worthy Series Champion. Jack and Jonathan both embodied grace and humility in this final, which was wonderful to see. For Jonathan to simply smile and congratulate Jack having come so close to taking it to a double-crucial is a display of the utmost class.

I'm so pleased for both of you that you made it to the final and had such a great tussle. Congratulations to Jonathan on his runner-up prize (I'm assuming they gave you the cheque eventually) and to Jack on getting his name inscribed alongside those of other great Countdowners on the Richard Whiteley Memorial Trophy.

I haven't seen Jonathan's prelims or the other games of the finals yet; they've all been recorded and I'll probably watch them out of order at some point. Congratulations again to Jack and Jonathan on a thoroughly enjoyable final contested in the right spirit.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."