Spoilers for Tuesday February 28th 2012 (Series 66 Prelim 37

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Tuesday February 28th 2012 (Series 66 Prelim 37

Post by Jordan F »

Our own Peter Lee is on a roll, with 6 wins under the belt and an average of exactly 100 points per game. Just two more until he hits octochamp status, can he get number 7 today? John Parrott is in the corner, and I admit I haven't been able to see yesterday's episode yet, so I'll abstain on comments about him and his anecdotes.

Join Liam for the recap sometime in the future.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday February 28th 2012 (Series 66 Preli

Post by Jordan F »

Ouch Ryan, that's a tough way to lose :-(

Tough fought game Peter, hope you get the octochamp title tomorrow.
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

Great game!

EQUINES for 7 in R2. I got the impression that Peter had seen it but chose to go for a safe 6.
Tom Barnes
Rookie

Post by Tom Barnes »

Excellent game today. Ryan was very unlucky with the conundrum there - it's also pretty likely that he'd have noticed he was wrong before declaring, so kudos for resisting the urge to cheat if so.

Great recovery from Peter, it's been an excellent run against some tough opposition, especially the last two days. Hope you can make it 8 tomorrow.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Tom Barnes wrote:Ryan was very unlucky with the conundrum there - it's also pretty likely that he'd have noticed he was wrong before declaring, so kudos for resisting the urge to cheat if so.
I bet Jon Corby's mate, Carl Williams wouldn't have thought twice about changing his answer.

A really good game to watch, swinging one way and then the other. Ryan was a very good player and I agree he was unlucky to lose. However, good luck in your attempt to achieve Octochamp status tomorrow Peter.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Anyone sending their knickers to Nick?
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

I know Ryan beat Peter on length in round 3, but did I hear Peter say IODINES and not get it rejected as a mass noun?
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
John Gillies
Acolyte

Post by John Gillies »

What a great game. Two excellent spots in RAVENOUS and DIATRIBE to keep Peter in the game. Was gutted when the buzzer sounded for the conundrum - I was sure Peter was beaten, because even I had solved it. Very unlucky Ryan, but well done Peter - really hope you become an octochamp tmorrow! :D
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Just a terrific game - as good as it gets. Congratulations to both players. And what with John Parrott being a properly good DC guest, and Nick settling in nicely now, it's Countdown back to top form.

Has John Parrott been the guest in the finals yet? If not, he should be. Droll, engaged, engaging, and does his homework and brings along proper anecdotes.
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Jordan F wrote:John Parrott is in the corner, and I admit I haven't been able to see yesterday's episode yet, so I'll abstain on comments about him and his anecdotes.
Enjoy him whilst you can, it appears to be Pam Ayres next week (so says Radio Times). The original audience schedule had Dave Spikey down for this week so maybe JP is a late stand in - he's local and so easy going he's probably flexible about such things.

Was supposed to be going to the Weds/Thurs/Fri recordings but had to give them a miss. Last two I've been to there have been Apterites in the Champ's chair when I arrived (Jayne and Jack). Given that Peter's been on before it would have been quite a surprise to find him there at all, let alone closing in on possible Octochamp status.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Thanks for the nice comments guys.
kieranbray
Rookie

Post by kieranbray »

[quote="Keith Bennett] The original audience schedule had Dave Spikey down for this week so maybe JP is a late stand in - he's local and so easy going he's probably flexible about such things. [/quote]

On the Monday when I was there, we were told it should indeed have been Dave Spikey the following day but he'd had an accident of some sort - can't remember what. So John was a late replacement.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Tony Atkins wrote:I know Ryan beat Peter on length in round 3, but did I hear Peter say IODINES and not get it rejected as a mass noun?
Yeah, but the solver gives IODINES as good actually. But, it made no difference luckily.

But, what a tough game. Well done to Peter for getting through though. Such a shame that Stephen yesterday and Ryan today have had to be up against strong opposition, considering that they have been better than everyone else in the series, with the exception of Jack obviously.

LORICAE and MALEFIC in round 4, PRALINE in round 7, TEMENOI in round 12 and DAINTIER in round 13.

2nd Numbers Alt.: (100 - 25 + 3) x (6 / (8 / 4)) = 234
3rd Numbers Alt.: (100 + 50 - 8) x 4 = 568
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Well done again to Peter, 2 crucial conundrums in 7 games, the 1st one he was genuinely off form that day but this one was because of strong opposition, hopefully he can deliver the goods tomorrow and become an octochamp, if the players are as good as they have been in the past week in all of the next games then we are in for a treat.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Cool game today, well played Peter. The challenger was pretty handy too. Seen as though he isn't on apterous, I guess he could be into his scrabble or play the wii game or something, because he too was above this casual armchair viewer standard.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

That was the most disastrous conundrum declaration since Richard Priest .v. Kai Laddiman in CofC game three years ago...
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Andy Platt wrote:Cool game today, well played Peter. The challenger was pretty handy too. Seen as though he isn't on apterous, I guess he could be into his scrabble or play the wii game or something, because he too was above this casual armchair viewer standard.
This range of apterous-themed merchandise is coming along nicely. We've got the Matt Bayfield pencil sharpener, the James Robinson memory card, and even the official Chris Davies branded sleepsuit. And now, coming to a pub near you...

Genuinely no offence intended here, by the way - and if any is taken I'll remove the image - I just had the idea and had to execute it. :-) Still look forward to seeing you get on next year, which I'm sure you will.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Graeme Cole wrote:the James Robinson memory card
I'll take the first 20. :D
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Hahaha Graeme, just wonderful. Yeah you are right I guess, I do regret, tres deeply, not being allowed on, but I more meant that post as a compliment to the challenger than a sly dig at Damian or anything.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

The Matt Bayfield pencil sharpener is my favourite, hahaha. Could be threadworthy.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Excellent game, excellent response by Graeme to Andy. Top marks all round.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle