Spoilers for Friday February 10th 2012 (Series 66 Prelim 25)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Friday February 10th 2012 (Series 66 Prelim 25)

Post by Jordan F »

It really has been Ladies Week on Countdown, with Nick and Aliraza being the only males in front of the camera this week so far. And appropriately, a woman has won all 4 games, and without meaning to rhyme, her name is Victoria James. She's had some good wins and some not so good wins, but if she wins one more game, she may be the number 2 seed even with a loss on Monday. Can she do it? It's the last day of Kate Humble in dictionary corner, and I'm glad to see her go just because of my internal struggle of whether I liked her or not. Hopefully with the next guest it's clear cut whether I like this person or not, but we shall see.

Join Thomas for the recap later.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Spoilers for Friday February 10th 2012 (Series 66 Prelim

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jordan F wrote:without meaning to rhyme, her name is Victoria James.
That doesn't rhyme.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Jordan F wrote:without meaning to rhyme, her name is Victoria James.
That doesn't rhyme.
But if Nick's been pronouncing her name wrong the entire time? What if the s is silent and "Jame" sounds exactly like "rhyme?" I've thought of these things Ryan, I've thought them out deeply.
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Jordan F wrote:It really has been Ladies Week on Countdown, with Nick and Aliraza being the only males in front of the camera this week so far. And appropriately, a woman has won all 4 games, and without meaning to rhyme, her name is Victoria James. She's had some good wins and some not so good wins, but if she wins one more game, she may be the number 2 seed even with a loss on Monday. Can she do it? It's the last day of Kate Humble in dictionary corner, and I'm glad to see her go just because of my internal struggle of whether I liked her or not. Hopefully with the next guest it's clear cut whether I like this person or not, but we shall see.

Join Thomas for the recap later.
According to the audience ticket schedule it should be Gloria Hunniford next week and Anne Widdecome after that, whereupon I think you'll conclude that Kate Humble is not so bad after all. Hunniford in particular falls into that smug self-satisfied group that was so prominent in RW's days (think Sheridan Morley, Brandreth, Martin Jarvis et al). IMHO of course....

Edit: although just to be fair I should add that she has had to deal very publicly with the death of her daughter (Caron Keating), every parent's nightmare, and has subsequently raised a lot of money for people who have to care for cancer patients.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

"Many a mickle makes a muckle". If you look this up, you'll discover that it's nonsense. I expected far better of Susie than this.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

I thought Dave was a bit unlucky there today. Victoria definitely looked a bit off today and was definitely grateful for that horrible last numbers round.

CANOPIES in round 2 (although I'm still mortified by finally knowing what CAPONISE means now :!: :shock: ), TROPHIES in round 3, INJURE in round 6, TRIGONAL in round 7 and TUTORED in round 11.

2nd Numbers Alt.: ((75 + 5) x 2) + (9 x 3) = 187

Anyone else noticed that the first 2 numbers games had the exact same numbers come up in the exact same order :?: :ugeek:
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Keith Bennett wrote:According to the audience ticket schedule it should be Gloria Hunniford next week and Anne Widdecome after that
Uh oh.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

3rd numbers: ((25x5x3)+7)x2+5 = 769

Victoria might not have been quite as good today as she was recently (maybe because of tiredness) but the lightning quick conundrum solve was pretty impressive.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Jack Worsley wrote: Victoria might not have been quite as good today as she was recently (maybe because of tiredness).
Yeah might have been a late one. She's definitely faded last 2 episodes, she was really quite sharp on Wednesday
James Robinson wrote:Anyone else noticed that the first 2 numbers games had the exact same numbers come up in the exact same order
No! That's crazy. I'm usually all over stuff like this.
Maybe with the human factor they were just shuffled really badly.

Edit: Jack, if she goes far there's a good chance you could play her in finals. Looking forward to 30 points in the numbers?
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Andy Platt wrote:
Jack Worsley wrote:
Edit: Jack, if she goes far there's a good chance you could play her in finals. Looking forward to 30 points in the numbers?
If she gets to the finals, she might want to work on her numbers a bit. I'd definitely fancy my chances of getting a few points off her on the numbers, might even ditch four large as I'd probably have a decent enough chance of winning on the numbers rounds anyway. If her numbers were anywhere near as good as her letters rounds and conundrums, she could easily have got a couple of centuries by now.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

James Robinson wrote:Anyone else noticed that the first 2 numbers games had the exact same numbers come up in the exact same order :?: :ugeek:
Does anyone remember this game? Perilously close to the hat-trick.

This was one of Rachel's first games and IIRC she was tending to pick the same pattern from the board each time. That certainly wasn't the reason this time.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Probability of two fair, random, one-large games having the same selection in the same order: (1/4) * (2/20) * (2/19) * (2/18) * (2/17) * (2/16) = 32/7441920 = 1/232560. That assumes all the numbers picked are different, though. For selections where you get two of the same number I think the probability is slightly lower.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jack Worsley wrote:3rd numbers: ((25x5x3)+7)x2+5 = 769

Victoria might not have been quite as good today as she was recently (maybe because of tiredness) but the lightning quick conundrum solve was pretty impressive.
It was impressive, but after the conundrum was revealed Nick did faff about for a bit before starting the clock. :-)
Jim Treloar
Rookie

Post by Jim Treloar »

Confirm it's Gloria H. next week, recorded January 18, I was there for the final 3 of the week in the p.m.. Smug? Maybe, and I have mixed feelings about her, but she usually has some good banter with Dudley in front of the audience beforehand.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Graeme Cole wrote:Probability of two fair, random, one-large games having the same selection in the same order: (1/4) * (2/20) * (2/19) * (2/18) * (2/17) * (2/16) = 32/7441920 = 1/232560. That assumes all the numbers picked are different, though. For selections where you get two of the same number I think the probability is slightly lower.
I often get these wrong, but if you assume all the numbers are different, isn't it (1/4) * (1/10) * (1/9) * (1/8) * (1/7) * (1/6) = 1/120960?
And the chances of all the numbers being different is 1 - ((18/19) * (16/18) * (14/17) * (12/16)) = 48%.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Jack Worsley wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:
Jack Worsley wrote:
If she gets to the finals, she might want to work on her numbers a bit. I'd definitely fancy my chances of getting a few points off her on the numbers, might even ditch four large as I'd probably have a decent enough chance of winning on the numbers rounds anyway. If her numbers were anywhere near as good as her letters rounds and conundrums, she could easily have got a couple of centuries by now.
If you get to the finals as well. I was in a similar position and I wasn't comfortable until my name went bold on the wiki standings.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

David Williams wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:Probability of two fair, random, one-large games having the same selection in the same order: (1/4) * (2/20) * (2/19) * (2/18) * (2/17) * (2/16) = 32/7441920 = 1/232560. That assumes all the numbers picked are different, though. For selections where you get two of the same number I think the probability is slightly lower.
I often get these wrong, but if you assume all the numbers are different, isn't it (1/4) * (1/10) * (1/9) * (1/8) * (1/7) * (1/6) = 1/120960?
And the chances of all the numbers being different is 1 - ((18/19) * (16/18) * (14/17) * (12/16)) = 48%.
If the selection in one round is, say, 75 7 2 5 3 9, then in the next numbers round, the probability of picking a 75 is 1/4, then the probability of picking a 7 next is 2/20 (because there are two sevens out of 20 smalls), then the probability of picking a two next is 2/19 (there are two twos out of 19 smalls left), and so on.

Of course, if the selection was 75 7 7 5 5 9, then the probability of getting the same selection in the same order next time would be something like 1/4 * 2/20 * 1/19 * 2/18 * 1/17 * 2/16, so it doesn't work if there are repetitions.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Graeme Cole wrote:If the selection in one round is, say, 75 7 2 5 3 9, then in the next numbers round, the probability of picking a 75 is 1/4, then the probability of picking a 7 next is 2/20 (because there are two sevens out of 20 smalls), then the probability of picking a two next is 2/19 (there are two twos out of 19 smalls left), and so on.
Yes, always a mistake to try to think clearly after midnight. I could see how you'd arrived at your answer, but decided that on the third pick there were only 18 smalls available, because one of them was the other 7, invalidating your assumption. But that's nonsense!