Spoilers for Monday 22nd September

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Spoilers for Monday 22nd September

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Self explanatory really
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers for Monday 22nd September

Post by Joseph Bolas »

If something has been EMBOSSED, has it been done by an EMBOSSER?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Well done to forumite Junaid on a very good debut win, just getting a century at the end there with BAPTISING.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Yes, a very impressive debut. It would be foolish to make any precise predictions in a series that's seen many promising talents peter out after a strong start, so with that in mind I will predict him 5 wins and a total score of 532.6.
John Brackstone
Rookie

Post by John Brackstone »

watched it with the sound off - did dc mention bedsores?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

johnbrackstone wrote:watched it with the sound off - did dc mention bedsores?
Yes, they mentioned BEDSORES and EMBOSSED.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I just realised I was supposed to recap today. I've been rather involved with Series 49 and the small matter of the present day totally slipped my mind. Would anyone like to step in and save my blushes?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Oh, Junaid is a forum member? Nice one. I was quite chuffed with my 918: (5-1)x7+25+100=153. 153x6=918, so top marks for Junaid for spotting it another obscure way. I missed LECTURING ( :oops: ) but did get INTRIGUER so that balanced it out somewhat. Some nice selections today where one could pull away from either player with beauties such as COTERIES, ANNELIDS and BEDSORES.
DaveC
Acolyte

Post by DaveC »

Charlie Reams wrote:I just realised I was supposed to recap today. I've been rather involved with Series 49 and the small matter of the present day totally slipped my mind. Would anyone like to step in and save my blushes?
Consider your bushes shaved. It's done. 195 = 5 to go... good stuff.

Had an interesting game today, had BEDSORES before the "M" had been placed, and in R12 was thinking "R" for lecturing before the "R" appeared, then totally lost the plot with RUNTIER (after time) then went looking for 153*6 not finding it in the time... ah well.

DC
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Junaid looks very strong on the numbers and I doubt he'll miss many during his run; I thought he was a bit lackadaisical on the letters, if he'd really concentrated at the end there I think he'd've got LECTURING, and at least RETIRING from the last round. But I think he can up his game when the scores are closer, and I'd be surprised if he didn't become no.1 seed for the series. I certainly hope he does, because it will stick in the craw of Richard Brittain.

(btw Charlie you're not allowed to make any predictions for this series now, otherwise Gevin will over-analyse them :)).

I missed AERATES and GODWARD but was pleased to get PACEMAN (I thought CAVEMAN from both contestants in that round was really impressive, and DC should've made more of it), and INTRIGUER, and the 918 with about 2 seconds to go
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julian Fell wrote:(btw Charlie you're not allowed to make any predictions for this series now, otherwise Gevin will over-analyse them :)).
I did it deliberately to taunt him.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I agree with everything said so far, plus PROPANE was a nice spot. Thought the over-complication of the 2nd numbers was a bit unnecessary tho.

I had ESOTERIC and LECTURING but only had APEMAN/ENCAMP/CANAPE in the CAVEMAN round and missed INTRIGUER/RETIRING and TENSIONS despite it coming up not long ago.

I predict octochamp and probably Charlie's main competition.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

I managed EMBOSSED COTERIES, TENSIONS and LECTURING. I missed CAVEMAN tho and didn't get the last numbers.
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Julian Fell wrote:I certainly hope he does, because it will stick in the craw of Richard Brittain.
I don't understand this and I'm compelled to jump to the defence of my hero -- is Junaid Jewish?
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

I thought Richard Brittain's racism was general - I didn't realize there were nuances to it
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Julian Fell wrote:I thought Richard Brittain's racism was general - I didn't realize there were nuances to it
What, you mean he hates everyone? Could be onto something there.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Paul Howe wrote:What, you mean he hates everyone?
Apart from himself, yes.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

I just watched a recording of this show on my return from a week working away in Brussels.

Well done Junaid - His word play was good but strength is clearly on numbers and speed of the conundrum - With his confidence up he is obviously Octochamp potential.

I managed to get tensions, coteries, intrigue, bedsores and lecturing but missed caveman, intriguer and the last numbers in which he was very impressive.

I thought I had picked up 'sectorize' in R6 but it is not listed as a verb in the ODE, whereas it is in my Chambers. Any thoughts about the discrepancy?
Last edited by Allan Harmer on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

aagharmer wrote:I just watched a recording of this show on my return from a week working away in Brussels.

Well done Junaid - His word play was good but strength is clearly on numbers and speed of the conundrum - With his confidence up he is obviously Octochamp potential.

I managed to get tensions, intrigue, bedsores and lecturing but missed caveman, intriguer the last numbers in which he was very impressive.

I thought I had picked up 'sectorize' in R6 but it is not listed as a verb in the ODE, whereas it is in my Chambers. Any thoughts about the discrepancy?
Chambers is a whore, ODE is a dictionary of common usage. I guess it's not just used enough to merit being in a proper dictionary.