Spoilers For Thursday June 9th 2011

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Thursday June 9th 2011

Post by James Robinson »

Onwards we go into the depths of Series 65, and with Graeme Cole as our leader, he should hopefully navigate through the mighty seas with the greatest of ease.

Well 2 centuries to the good so far, are there going to be many more in this series for Graeme or anyone else for that matter :?:

Join me, Cap'n Robinson, for the Robinson later. ;) :) :D
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers For Thursday June 9th 2011

Post by Joseph Krol »

You could surely say 'The two project's outsets were very different' or something?
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Aye and it's valid for Apterous, wouldn't be surprised to see them give Graeme those extra seven points back at some point.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

So the new competitor gets airtime to witter about going to Lourdes (and I thought he meant to watch the cricket!) and Dev's wife does some palm reading. We will be having payers in Countdown next.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Well played again Graeme, unlucky with not getting a third ton, but I'm sure you don't mind about that. :P

Edit: Unless you do get the 7 points for OUTSETS, in which case you would have 3 centuries. :)
Malcolm James
Acolyte

Post by Malcolm James »

Joseph Krol wrote:You could surely say 'The two project's outsets were very different' or something?
'Outset' mean 'beginning', but you only use the former in 'at the outset' and, if there were more than one project you would say 'at the outset of both/all projects'.

And, since when has apterous been the definitive arbiter of eligibility?

Tricky language English!
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

The decision to disallow OUTSETS wasn't made on a whim. Susie and Damian discussed it during the cut before the last numbers round, and again just before the next game.

Basically, OUTSET is listed in the dictionary as a noun "in singular". At the front of the dictionary it says this means "a noun which is used as a count noun but is never or rarely found in the plural". So the question was whether OUTSETS was a "never" or "rarely" case. Susie felt that there wasn't any case where you'd pluralise it. Even if you had two projects that were complete failures from the start (perhaps you're watching The Apprentice?) you'd say "the projects were both failures from the outset" rather than "both failures from their outsets". Joseph's example is an alternative case I didn't think of though.

As for it costing me a third century, that was entirely my doing for not thinking to put the ER on the end of RAFT. :roll:
Tracey Lilly
Rookie

Post by Tracey Lilly »

Good explanation Graeme - I was confused as Joseph's example seem to make sense.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Graeme Cole wrote:The decision to disallow OUTSETS wasn't made on a whim. Susie and Damian discussed it during the cut before the last numbers round, and again just before the next game.
[...]
the question was whether OUTSETS was a "never" or "rarely" case. Susie felt that there wasn't any case where you'd pluralise it.
Graeme Cole used it on the telly once; surely that gives it enough credence to be allowed under the "rarely" category.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

John Bosley wrote:So the new competitor gets airtime to witter about going to Lourdes (and I thought he meant to watch the cricket!) and Dev's wife does some palm reading. We will be having payers in Countdown next.
Payers? Are you suggesting Damian will soon be accepting bribes for a place on the show?
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

left the r out of prayers - serves me right for being such a pompous atheistic git - :evil:
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

John Bosley wrote:So the new competitor gets airtime to witter about going to Lourdes (and I thought he meant to watch the cricket!) and Dev's wife does some palm reading. We will be having payers in Countdown next.
When Susie was asked what she thought about palm reading at the end of the show, it was funny because it seemed as though she was desperately trying to be polite despite thinking 'this is a load of crap'.