Spoilers for Friday 1st February 2008

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Spoilers for Friday 1st February 2008

Post by Jon Corby »

Post all your spoilers here!

David has told me that there won't be any though, because he reckons he scores a 100% game today. Let's see if he's right! ;)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Re: Spoilers for Friday 1st February 2008

Post by David O'Donnell »

LMAO!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Slightly more elegant R5 solution than Carol's- (100-2)*8-25.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

In the round you had ROSACES, you can have ROSACEA. Although I'm not sure if you can pluralize it.
How many points do have now?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

I don't think so Conor. Why are you asking about my points? Getting nervous? :lol:
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

A bit :P
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

No need big lad, I break Hazel's record tomorrow :cry:
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Great game again David. I was surprised you didn't see WAITER in round 1 (I am not sure that DC mentioned it either) and I had TAMPONED, but I missed RETITLE and you were closer than me with 760. I also didn't see ROSACES - great spot - never heard of it. So you were ahead 100-93 going into the conundrum...

Looking forward to your last game tomorrow. It'll be a shame when you're not there any more!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Julian has got you well trained :D though you obviously beat me again. Ah well I could be beat by worse. Myself and a few friends will be watching the last game in the pub: to be honest I am glad it's over -- no more cringing at myself on TV!

I had some atrocious misses today, thank God I got a nine or the Countdown production staff would have been talking me down from the roof.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

James, mate, have you noticed how you're the only person that posts how they did against the winning contestant every day?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

It was a good game, but I think you need to get quicker at solving the conundrums. I know in the QF's onwards they are supposedly going to be harder than the prelims, but it could cost you the game if it comes down to a crucial conundrum.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Did that advice serve you well in your career as a zero-time winner, Joseph?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Charlie has really got my back today!

I think Joe was just being helpful, it's true my conundrums are weak but it's a little silly of Joseph to think I hadn't noticed ... ahem ... particularly when I posted, several times, that it is my weakest section :D As for James posting his scores, I find it interesting so there's no problem there.

I think Charlie's defence of my performances emanates from the fact that he must now be seriously considering being a contestant himself: do it mate, you'll knock 'em dead!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Everyone always criticises the contestants, it gets tiresome. You've clearly been awesome and set this series alight and people still come in with the most pointless criticism. Advice like "You should get better" is 1) completely tautological 2) completely ridiculous given who it's being given to and from.

I wasn't having a go at James though, just a little poke - I'm sure he can take it :)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

I must have criticised a contestant at some point though so it's karma. I am defintely sure a cool bloke like James will not lose sleep over your post; Joseph, however, may need several months of therapy.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

David O'Donnell wrote:I think Joe was just being helpful, it's true my conundrums are weak but it's a little silly of Joseph to think I hadn't noticed ... ahem ... particularly when I posted, several times, that it is my weakest section :D As for James posting his scores, I find it interesting so there's no problem there.
I was trying to be helpful, but sometimes I do muddle my words so it sounds like I am criticising etc.

Knowing me (most likely), I did miss reading the part where you said that conundrums wern't your strong point :oops:.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Well played again David, are you on course for a record total score now? The last 3 have been big scores and with a decent triple in the finals surely you could get something special?

For the record, James is not the only one who scores himself against the champion everyday, I do it too but it's never really worth repeating how I did. I beat you in the COTTAGERS game but other than that you've annhilated me each time.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Charlie Reams wrote:Everyone always criticises the contestants, it gets tiresome.

I wasn't having a go at James though, just a little poke - I'm sure he can take it :)
No worries. It wasn't meant as a criticism of the 'contestant', far from it. I only really posted for David's interest. The only other person I remember noting my scores on here against was Craig, and I soon gave up doing that!!

I am sure I remember Damian on here saying that Series 58 got off to a scorching start and he's absolutely right!! We're only at the beginning of February and we've already seen 2 exceptional contestants. Maybe it can go on and rival Series 54 for depth of quality, though I am sure David would rather it didn't!
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Just seen Friday's game - well done again David, top stuff, I'm glad you finally got your nine - it's been coming for a while! I make it 763 points you've got with one game to go, so you've got a decent chance of finishing even above the likes of Chris Wills and Stewart Holden in the octochamp-total rankings!

Not, of course, that a variance of five or ten points or so in octochamp totals makes any real odds... but however you perform in your last game David, I think your claims not to be first-class player have been shown to be a smokescreen! Well done sir - like Charlie said, you have lit up the series and it's been a real challenge playing "against" you at home...

Re James' original post, could this be the first time ever, in any sphere of life, that something I said has had an effect on how someone else behaves?! Lol... as for the posting-how-you-did thing, I think it's ok as long as you show restraint... although be aware James that some contestants, like Mr Holden, will take great offence at it, so it's probably best to ask beforehand. David is obviously a v relaxed dude (likewise Craig), so no problem there...

And, following my own advice to the forum earlier, I have to admit I had a bit of a mare watching the game - like you David I missed TAMPONED (d'oh) and MEDIANTS (double d'oh)... btw what was Damian/Michael saying in Alison's earpiece that made her put her hand to her mouth in the TAMPONED round?? How dare they try to make Alison blush, she's lovely :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

For future reference, it would really piss me off to have someone advertising their performance against me every day, even if I always beat them. There are plenty of opportunities to play me for real, online or in person, rather than some phoney "against the telly" contest which I didn't even know I was participating in. But I can't speak for everyone.
Chris H

Post by Chris H »

btw what was Damian/Michael saying in Alison's earpiece that made her put her hand to her mouth in the TAMPONED round?? How dare they try to make Alison blush, she's lovely
Maybe they are old enough to remember Rik Mayall's great little scene in an episode of the Young Ones (1981) when he finds a tampon in a female fellow party-goer's handbag, unwraps it and says:

'Hey, great you brought me a present...what is it?...Oh! It's a telescope...with a mouse in it!...(holds it by the string and dunks it in someone's drink)...Here mousey, have a drink...(tampon swells up)....Uhh...Ohh...I think I'm gonna be sick...(runs outside)...'

Best comedy series EVER.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

I think Charlie makes a valid point here. It was kinda ruining my enjoyment of being on Countdown when I felt like I'd be competing with all you guys on C4C and I knew most of you would be beating me. However, I was told by another contestant not to speak such nonsense and that my only opponent is the guy or gal in the other seat. After that I couldn't really care less if every one of you obliterated me and I started to really really enjoy myself. I still like the idea of competing against you lot because it stops me being complacent and keeps the old ego in check too.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

I got that Conundrum faster than David, although otherwise he obliterated me. I had 'medians', which was annoying. Embarassingly my mum got 'waiter' and I didn't.