Spoilers For Thursday December 16th 2010

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Thursday December 16th 2010

Post by James Robinson »

So, after that thrilling first semi-final yesterday, today's match-up between the #2 Seed, Eoin Monaghan and the #3 Seed, Daniel Pati, has a lot to live up to.

Are we in for another blockbuster today :?:

Here are some stats for you enjoyment:

Firstly, No.2 Seed Eoin Monaghan - 9 Wins, 1,025 Points
Highest Score: 127 vs. Niall Young (Quarter-Final)
Lowest Score: 100 vs. Clive Myers (5th Game)
9's Achieved: 6/8
Total Points/Max/%: 1025/1161 (88%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 696/801 (87%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 259/270 (96%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 70/90 (78%)

Secondly, No.3 Seed Daniel Pati - 9 Wins, 932 Points
Highest Score: 127 vs. Barry Hughes (2nd Game)
Lowest Score: 92 vs. Tom Rowell (Quarter-Final)
9's Achieved: 4/5
Total Points/Max/%: 932/1131 (82%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 664/774 (86%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 188/267 (70%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 80/90 (89%)

So, join me for the last Robinson Recap of 2010 later on. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Re: Spoilers For Thursday December 16th 2010

Post by JackHurst »

I was in the green room with Peter for this game. <3 Peter
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ouch, that's not happened in a good long while on this show, someone forgetting to mention that they hadn't written it down. Unlucky, Daniel.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Tragedy for Dan there.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

INERTIAL in round 6 as an equaller.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Damn that letter I in round 11! CONCEALED would've been a cool 9. 8-)
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Good game, lads, well played. 8-)

Really looking forward to the big showdown tomorrow, the two big gunslingers finally meet. 8-)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Very well done, Eoin. Another impressive performance and another good century too.

Since you and Jack have got a century in all your matches, I'm expecting a pair of centuries tomorrow for the big one. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Must say I just beat you by getting the conundrum just before you buzzed in with your guess.

Oooh, I so can't wait.

Drat, I'm at work tomorrow, so I'm gonna be behind again. Damn work :!: :x
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Thanks again for all the nice comments.

Daniel was the first person I met when I first went to record all that time ago in early July and in some way we've shared this experience and it was nearly fate that we would eventually end up playing each other. It was great to meet him and he is such a fantastic player.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Well played Eoin, unlucky to Daniel for THEORISE (although don't they usually just reshoot those?), but fortunately it wouldn't have mattered.

The final should be stonking. I'm particularly looking forward to whether the conundrum will outdo today's in terms of silliness.
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Surprised nobody spotted CALENDULA. :ugeek:
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Congratulations Eoin.
Thanks to both you and Daniel for a very good game.
Modestly played in a nice spirit.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Hugh Binnie wrote:Surprised nobody spotted CALENDULA. :ugeek:
Never heard of it. Sounds like the Latin for a small calendar.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Yeah a very good game, heading for a record breaking final tomorrow. Certainly in terms of points aggregate over 16 or 20 games (i.e. all that they've played between them) this would be the highest total ever. Also their combined ages is 32 - or was it less when it was filmed?

I have no idea for the result; I'll end up watching it on Channel 4+1 as am supposed to be out until 4pm. I don't really watch the show anymore, but I do try and look up when the first quarter final is so I can watch the last seven games of each series. Fantastic quality, from what I've seen it's one of the best series ever.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Michael Wallace wrote:Well played Eoin, unlucky to Daniel for THEORISE (although don't they usually just reshoot those?), but fortunately it wouldn't have mattered.

The final should be stonking. I'm particularly looking forward to whether the conundrum will outdo today's in terms of silliness.
Of course if he'd have said THEORIES or THEORIST he'd have been ok.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Hard luck Dan, just unlucky that Jeff asked you to declare your word second I guess.
Martin Gardner wrote: Of course if he'd have said THEORIES or THEORIST he'd have been ok.
I couldn't help but find myself agreeing with this. Although I guess in a way its cheating, but Dan obviously had THEORISE anyway, so if I was in his shoes I would see it as just to use one of those instead. I wonder if you did spot either of these at realising you hadn't written theorise down???

Either way, it was a good game. Playing along in the green room I got 14 maxes, missing NEWSMAN (which Peter got), so it gave me that bit of confidence I needed going into the final.

Out of interest, will tomorrow be the first time in countdown history where both contestants have got a century on every previous appearance?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote:
Since you and Jack have got a century in all your matches, I'm expecting a pair of centuries tomorrow for the big one. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Ah yeah I'd not noticed this. This is a fantastic achievement and I really hope at least one of you manages a century tomorrow. It's always hard against another top top player to get a century if you're not super consistent so let's hope you both keep your cool :P

Really can't wait till tomorrow's final and am hoping for one of you to equal Fell + Beever's record of all centuries. If you both get 100+ then one of you will have lost after scoring 11/11 centuries. Insane.

P.s. I'm also excited as the PDC World Champs starts today :)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

JackHurst wrote:Out of interest, will tomorrow be the first time in countdown history where both contestants have got a century on every previous appearance?
Yes, because this is the first series in which there had been more than 1 person who got a century in all their heats.

You and Eoin are the 4th and 5th people to do it EVER, meaning that you 2 are 2 of the most exceptional contestants that the show has ever seen :!: 8-)

So, tomorrow will be a mammoth game, I hope. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Would be great if we both got centuries then. Its a real shame we cant both win :(
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Kirk Bevins wrote:P.s. I'm also excited as the PDC World Champs starts today :)
Me too. Although I'm not liking the quietness of Ally Pally so far.

P.s. Nicholson is a twat.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote: Yes, because this is the first series in which there had been more than 1 person who got a century in all their heats.
Bad logic. Somebody could have won their debut with a century then lost their next game with a century to someone who got all centuries meaning that both players have got all centuries despite one of them only having 1 win. Don't think this has happened though.
James Robinson wrote: You and Eoin are the 4th and 5th people to do it EVER,
Who are the first 3 apart from Beevers and Fell?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

That THEORISE round to me looked slightly suspicious. I thought it was odd how unconvincingly Daniel declared 8, and I swear I saw him smile with that naughty face you have when someone finds out you've done something wrong. But oh well, great game. <3 Eoin, really want him to win. No offence Jack
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
James Robinson wrote:You and Eoin are the 4th and 5th people to do it EVER
Andrew Hulme was the other, but of course he lost his record in the finals, when he got no more centuries.

So, we don't get confused, I was originally referring to just getting 8 centuries in heats, but everyone else did a get a century in all their finals games too.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Yes, because this is the first series in which there had been more than 1 person who got a century in all their heats.
Bad logic. Somebody could have won their debut with a century then lost their next game with a century to someone who got all centuries meaning that both players have got all centuries despite one of them only having 1 win. Don't think this has happened though.
James Robinson wrote: You and Eoin are the 4th and 5th people to do it EVER,
Haha, I was just about to tell you that you were wrong Kirk, and about to direct you to reread my post, but then on rereading your post, I realised that you were not wrong.

But yeah, you are right Kirk. I think the only way to answer my question is to scour the Wiki
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Yes, because this is the first series in which there had been more than 1 person who got a century in all their heats.
Lesley lost her only game with a century, of course, so she got a century in "all" of her heat games. That was in Series 61, same as Andrew. (i.e. James was technically wrong. >_>)
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Hugh Binnie wrote:Surprised nobody spotted CALENDULA. :ugeek:
Never heard of it. Sounds like the Latin for a small calendar.
I actually had it in the audience, but having been told in no uncertain terms at the last finals recordings that being an ex-contestant meant that I could not be picked for an audience shot, I didn't bother putting my hand up.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote: So, we don't get confused, I was originally referring to just getting 8 centuries in heats, but everyone else did a get a century in all their finals games too.
Jack actually said that they got centuries in all their previous games which Hulme did not. I'd like to see a Monaghan win, so that I can be the highest points scoring octochamp who is also a series champ :evil:
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Fair play to Eoin for OESTRONE (which I also had - thanks Chris Davies!)