Recaps / Countdownwiki

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Recaps / Countdownwiki

Post by Martin Gardner »

I'm wondering what's going to happen to the Countdown Corral in terms of recaps, I suppose they're now going on here? I also know that if the original forum ever gets deleted (not impossible, although maybe in about 5 years time or something) what would happen? Well I suppose the Countdownwiki is a more permanent home for them if we can transfer them all there. PS the finals from the Countdown page could be transferred there as well, a lot of them are not yet there.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Recaps / Countdownwiki

Post by Charlie Reams »

I have a backup of all the email recaps and will probably rehome them on the Corral at some point to remove the dependency on Yahoo, although obviously I'll maintain a link to the original. The project to transcribe them to the Wiki is well under way (40% done last time I checked), which will be a much more permanent solution.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Hmmm... well, as you know Charlie, I have my reservations about the Wiki... ok if you're going to put everything on there, but do keep the Corral going as well, with the original typed-out game reports for people to view if they want - these add a bit of colour, background information and the like (especially when Jim's writing them), rather than just the dry statistics which the Wiki format gives you.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

You never replied to my email about the wiki, in which I gave a pretty length explanation of why it's worthwhile. But it's not meant as a replacement for the daily recaps and I have no intention of killing off the Corral - where did that come from?!
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Yes I know Charlie, I did read your email and you made some good points in favour of the Wiki, which I accept. I'm glad that you're not getting rid of the Corral or the daily recaps. I didn't really think you were, and I didn't say that you were, either, in fairness. My post was directed more to the forum at large. Anyway let's not get tetchy, I'm not meaning to get anyone's back up!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Julian wrote:(especially when Jim's writing them), rather than just the dry statistics which the Wiki format gives you.
You are right. I love going through Jim's older recaps because he gives that little bit of info that allows you to remember the game or something weird that happened that you had completely forgotten about.