Spoilers for Friday, 23rd May

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Spoilers for Friday, 23rd May

Post by Joseph Bolas »

You know what to do.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Friday, 23rd May

Post by JasonCullen »

INHALER?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

jasoncullen wrote:INHALER?
I got INHALER, there are two more DC beaters that nobody's got yet, I got them from solvers so I won't publish them.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

I don't suppose PUBMAN is allowed, is it?
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

10 x 8 = 80 + 4 + 2 = 86 x 8 = 688 + 25 = 713
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Martin Gardner wrote:
I got INHALER, there are two more DC beaters that nobody's got yet, I got them from solvers so I won't publish them.

Martin
Actually one of them was CONFESSER and that isn't in Countmax, ah well.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

I thought it was -OR ending
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

PARASITES :D
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

ESTIMATOR?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

ESTIMATOR or EAST TIMOR :D
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

SATRAPIES equaller.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

SNOOZY?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

jasoncullen wrote:ESTIMATOR?
Is indeed listed on Countmax.

Martin
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

I had HERNIAL for that round.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I'm not normally critical like this but with 3 nines available 61 is a hell of a low winning score, perhaps a record? Congrats to the winner nonetheless though. :)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

jasoncullen wrote:I thought it was -OR ending
CONFESSOR - actually yes it is, that's listed.

Martin
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Ben Wilson wrote:I'm not normally critical like this but with 3 nines available 61 is a hell of a low winning score, perhaps a record? Congrats to the winner nonetheless though. :)
Lowest percentage winning score, perhaps yes. I think the lowest ever winning score was 52 - 48 or very similar, check the Corral for details.

Martin
DaveC
Acolyte

Post by DaveC »

Hiyo,

I've quickly worked out (but not checked) the max today as being 151.

According to my little spreadsheet the end stats are...

WINNER..
Rounds Won = 5
Rounds Drawn = 6
Rounds Lost = 4
Rounds Max Scored = 2
% of Max scored = 40.4%
Raw Score = 68
% of Max Raw = 45.0%

LOSER..
Rounds Won = 4
Rounds Drawn = 6
Rounds Lost = 5
Rounds Max Scored = 2
% of Max scored = 34.4%
Raw Score = 62
% of max Raw = 41.1%

It's the joint lowest winning score of the series.. given the high maximum, 3rd highest of the series it's certainly a solid contender for the lowest ever winning score as a percentage of the maximum available. Oh well.

DC
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Didn't watch it but someone told me they got APEMEN when everyone else got four.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

According to the recap, the game that ended 52 - 50, the max was 140 so 52 / 140 = 37.14%

Martin
lelb72

Post by lelb72 »

It was a low scoring game, but when you're there it's harder to concentrate with the cameras and an audience of 100 or so people watching. And 30 seconds goes very fast when you're trying to come up with a word.
It's fine saying you had 8 or 9 letter words now but did you get those in 30 seconds cause if you did then apply to go on.
I've been reading these threads for a while now and none of the contestants have stuck up for themselves.
It is bloody hard when you're there!
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

ENEMA round 8. Trust a nurse to spot that one.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

lelb72 wrote:It was a low scoring game, but when you're there it's harder to concentrate with the cameras and an audience of 100 or so people watching. And 30 seconds goes very fast when you're trying to come up with a word.
It's fine saying you had 8 or 9 letter words now but did you get those in 30 seconds cause if you did then apply to go on.
I've been reading these threads for a while now and none of the contestants have stuck up for themselves.
Hi Lee. I didn't actually get to watch Friday's game but just to get things straight, was that you making your debut game? I should point out that most of the people who posted beaters are current contestants or have previously been on the show. Martin Gardner got to the semi-final of his series while Ben Wilson won his. Joseph Bolas and Karen Pearson have already appeared too where they came up against tough octochamp competition. Joseph will sympathise with you since he really had a nightmare on the numbers, although he was just plain unlucky on the letters offering the valid Scrabble word, INSOLATED, which isn't valid in Countdown. So, firstly, most of us can empathise with how difficult it is in the studio environment. As for people critiquing your performance, well, it's not nice but it is human nature. You have to bear in mind that most of us are Countdown-oraks and we love all the stats. So, when you have scores that are a low percentage of the total then there will always be some discussion. Also, no-one is immune from this scrutiny, even luminaries such as Stewart Holden were castigated for missing certain words. Craig Beevers got a touch for missing SEDATION so I wouldn't think myself too hard done by - I, for instance, was just flat-out called "shithouse" by Jon Corby.

PS I don't know if you played or even if you won but what did Kipling write about triumphs and disasters?
lelb72

Post by lelb72 »

I assumed that some people were maybe past contestants and obviously some die hard fans. What im saying is some people can cope with pressure and some cant, that depends on the person. Undoubtedly people will be ridiculed thats life. Just be a bit more gentle please :D
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

lelb72 wrote:I assumed that some people were maybe past contestants and obviously some die hard fans. What im saying is some people can cope with pressure and some cant, that depends on the person. Undoubtedly people will be ridiculed thats life. Just be a bit more gentle please :D
Hi Lee, I sympathise, it is much harder when you're in the hot seat especially when it's your first game. I know I posted ENEMA as a beater but didn't mean to offend so sorry if I did - it's just something I come across sometimes in my work so it's easier for me to spot. Plus I'm practising like hell at the moment for the finals so am watching the games much more intensely. I respect you for sticking up for yourself. All the best.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

lelb72 wrote:It is bloody hard when you're there!
Susie has that effect on me too.
DaveC
Acolyte

Post by DaveC »

Hiyo,

I think we are on a downward spiral to sillysville if we start feeling apologetic for posting beaters. ENEMA is nothing to feel washed out about at all. Keep the beaters flowing out when you spot them. Any Friday beaters get a little credit in the review as usual.

The forum does understand that it is more difficult to play in the studio, particularly to those unaccustomed to getting up in front of a lot of people, etc, etc. I do think it's fair enough to point out that it was a low scoring game, particularly against the available score. It is a simple fact worthy of exploration.

We can all have one-of-those-games, where we miss stuff we feel we should be getting. It's the way of things.

Lee + Teapot = a good start, and we'll see what a new week brings.

DC
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

lelb72 wrote:It was a low scoring game, but when you're there it's harder to concentrate with the cameras and an audience of 100 or so people watching. And 30 seconds goes very fast when you're trying to come up with a word.
Pretty much everyone on this forum has been on Countdown, most of us have won at least one game (sorry Joseph)

Martin
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

DaveC wrote:Hiyo,

I think we are on a downward spiral to sillysville if we start feeling apologetic for posting beaters. ENEMA is nothing to feel washed out about at all. Keep the beaters flowing out when you spot them. Any Friday beaters get a little credit in the review as usual.

The forum does understand that it is more difficult to play in the studio, particularly to those unaccustomed to getting up in front of a lot of people, etc, etc. I do think it's fair enough to point out that it was a low scoring game, particularly against the available score. It is a simple fact worthy of exploration.

We can all have one-of-those-games, where we miss stuff we feel we should be getting. It's the way of things.

Lee + Teapot = a good start, and we'll see what a new week brings.

DC
"ENEMA - nothing to feel washed out about" - I like it! Ha Ha. :lol: