Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Post Reply
User avatar
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic
Posts: 2446
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:19 am
Location: Liverpool, UK

Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by Joseph Bolas » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:21 pm

Good luck to Ben on his 2nd game.

EDIT: You had Paul Zenon in DC, I'm so jealous.

Stewart Gordon
Acolyte
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by Stewart Gordon » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:35 pm

I thought TARMAC was a trademark, and therefore would be capitalised in the dictionary. Isn't it?

User avatar
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic
Posts: 2446
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:19 am
Location: Liverpool, UK

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by Joseph Bolas » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:38 pm

1st numbers alternative - ((100 + 6) x 7) - 2

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9378
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by Charlie Reams » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:46 pm

smjg wrote:I thought TARMAC was a trademark, and therefore would be capitalised in the dictionary. Isn't it?
Lots of them have become generic, like HOOVER and VASELINE.

User avatar
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 am
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by Craig Beevers » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:53 pm

Can you have COMEDOS in ODE? I seem to remember COMEDONES being in as a plural of COMEDO.

User avatar
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur
Posts: 5458
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:01 am
Location: London

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by Michael Wallace » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:05 pm

REGALIST in round 13

User avatar
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic
Posts: 2446
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:19 am
Location: Liverpool, UK

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by Joseph Bolas » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:05 pm

Michael Wallace wrote:REGALIST in round 13
RETRIALS too as an equaller.

James Hurrell
Acolyte
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:14 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by James Hurrell » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:08 pm

Are RETIRALS / GLARIEST also in?

Also, went for (75-((8*4)+5))*9=342; didn't see the easier method!

Stewart Gordon
Acolyte
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:48 am

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by Stewart Gordon » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:15 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
smjg wrote:I thought TARMAC was a trademark, and therefore would be capitalised in the dictionary. Isn't it?
Lots of them have become generic, like HOOVER and VASELINE.
Just looking at them in my 2001 OPD:
  • Hoover (cap) as a noun is a trademark, but apparently the verb (-cap) was never trademarked
  • vaseline is a trademark, but nonetheless is given in lowercase
  • tarmac is a little more complicated, but not capitalised at all. Strange - I'm sure I've seen it capitalised as a trademark somewhere.
So maybe I was right. Still, what's the policy on accepting words that are trademarks but nonetheless given in lower case?

Paul Howe
Kiloposter
Posts: 1067
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by Paul Howe » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:30 pm

smjg wrote: Still, what's the policy on accepting words that are trademarks but nonetheless given in lower case?
If it's lower case, it should be allowed. Starting off as a trademark is just another way for a word to enter the language. In addition to the examples that Charlie gave, HEROIN, ESCALATOR, TANNOY, FRISBEE, TRAMPOLINE and many others all started life as trademarks.

Benji Hanks
Rookie
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:41 am

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by Benji Hanks » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:31 pm

For the record, I saw Ambient in the ?3rd? round, but didn't want to risk it as wasn't 100% as to whether it was ent or ant.

User avatar
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter
Posts: 1492
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by Martin Gardner » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:42 pm

Benji Hanks wrote:For the record, I saw Ambient in the ?3rd? round, but didn't want to risk it as wasn't 100% as to whether it was ent or ant.
Ambient is fine.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?

User avatar
DaveC
Acolyte
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:58 am

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by DaveC » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:02 pm

My post didn't appear before for some reason. Anyone else had this trouble?

Anyway here's a more intuitive R14. I found this way easier anyhow.

75 - 5 = 70
9 - 4 = 5 multiply = 350 - 8

DC

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9378
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by Charlie Reams » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:34 pm

DaveC wrote:My post didn't appear before for some reason. Anyone else had this trouble?
If someone posts while you're writing your message, clicking Submit will give you a page warning of the possible clash rather than submitting your post. However it doesn't look much different to the expected page and on a few occasions I've nearly shut the window without realising. That might be the cause.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8439
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:37 pm

Paul Howe wrote:
smjg wrote: Still, what's the policy on accepting words that are trademarks but nonetheless given in lower case?
If it's lower case, it should be allowed. Starting off as a trademark is just another way for a word to enter the language. In addition to the examples that Charlie gave, HEROIN, ESCALATOR, TANNOY, FRISBEE, TRAMPOLINE and many others all started life as trademarks.
I think the capital/non-capital is a bit of a dubious way of distinguishing. Probably the best way there is, but still not entirely satisfactory in my eyes. My main example is that I don't see why currencies of countries are any less "proper" than certain other proper nouns but they just happen not to be capitalised.

Edit - well if the definition of "proper noun" is a particular being or object as opposed to one of many, as opposed to simply a capitalised noun, then is there a name for capitalised nouns? "Englishman" for example would not be proper but is capitalised.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9378
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Monday, 21st April

Post by Charlie Reams » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:24 pm

Gevin-Gavin wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:
smjg wrote: Still, what's the policy on accepting words that are trademarks but nonetheless given in lower case?
If it's lower case, it should be allowed. Starting off as a trademark is just another way for a word to enter the language. In addition to the examples that Charlie gave, HEROIN, ESCALATOR, TANNOY, FRISBEE, TRAMPOLINE and many others all started life as trademarks.
I think the capital/non-capital is a bit of a dubious way of distinguishing. Probably the best way there is, but still not entirely satisfactory in my eyes. My main example is that I don't see why currencies of countries are any less "proper" than certain other proper nouns but they just happen not to be capitalised.
A fair point, but as you say, there doesn't seem to be an alternative. For an example oddity, DBX would be valid according to the current rules. I assume the rule was taken from Scrabble where it has lead to some other odd consequences (like PH and EMF) over the years.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tom S and 10 guests