Spoilers For Tuesday April 13th 2010

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Tuesday April 13th 2010

Post by James Robinson »

Well, we seem to be in the same position that we were in 13 days ago.

We have Peter Zyss, hoping to become Octochamp #2 by the end of the day, but also hoping not to break the all-time low octochamp total. But, will he, like Dave Wilkinson 13 days ago, bow out on 7, or will he be able to pass that winning post in glory :?:

Oooooh, the tension is unbearable, but we'll just have to wait till 3:25pm, for the excitement levels to reach its maximum levels. :roll:

EDIT: Remember 96 is the number that Peter will have to pass, assuming he wins, if he wants to avoid that record.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Spoilers For Tuesday April 13th 2010

Post by Jon Corby »

James (+others) - stop going on so much about this pissing "record". You're almost making it sound like he'd do better to lose his 8th game to avoid the "ignominy" of being the lowest-scoring octochamp. He'd still be a fucking octochamp, which is more than most accomplish (and someone's always gonna be the lowest).

It's pissing me off. If you hadn't noticed.

PS. -8 points with a game in hand. It's surely only a matter of time...
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

I agree. The numbers of wins mark the acheivement, not piffly statistics about overall scores. It's kind of pissing on people's bonfires really by banging on about it. It started with Jeffrey Burgin last year and now it's come back again. Grow up.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'm not sure this is really a problem. I haven't noticed anyone but James ever mention it, but maybe I wasn't paying attention?

Lowest octochamp total is pretty cool if you ask me, a badge of honour, minimising exertion (not really obviously) and remaining on the border of efficiently productive. The Dimitar Berbatov of Countdown.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jon Corby wrote:PS. -8 points with a game in hand. It's surely only a matter of time...
Maybe so, Jon. But, not this season. The Terriers for 6th :!: 8-)
Andrew Hulme
Acolyte

Post by Andrew Hulme »

D Eadie wrote:I agree. The numbers of wins mark the acheivement, not piffly statistics about overall scores. It's kind of pissing on people's bonfires really by banging on about it. It started with Jeffrey Burgin last year and now it's come back again. Grow up.
+1
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Matt Morrison wrote:I'm not sure this is really a problem.

It's not a problem as such, it's just bad form, needless and churlish, especially coming from someone who got nowhere near to being an octochamp. Let Peter enjoy his moment, that's what i say.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

D Eadie wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I'm not sure this is really a problem.
It's not a problem as such, it's just bad form, needless and churlish, especially coming from someone who got nowhere near to being an octochamp. Let Peter enjoy his moment, that's what i say.
Yup, absolutely. I was just confused by Jon referring to "James (+others)" as I'd not seen anyone else mention it (other than perhaps in OMG WORST OCTOCHAMP EVER sarcastic jest).
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Oh i see, he's probably drunk. ;)
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Is this the right moment say 'FUNBAGS' ?

(Not valid - but it's a shame to let it pass us by in the penultimate letters round!)
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

James Robinson wrote:Well, we seem to be in the same position that we were in 13 days ago.

We have Peter Zyss, hoping to become Octochamp #2 by the end of the day, but also hoping not to break the all-time low octochamp total.

EDIT: Remember 96 is the number that Peter will have to pass, assuming he wins, if he wants to avoid that record.
Yeah, it was like in your recap for my third game when you wrote 'these 2 blank conundrums maybe of some concern' - not really, I didn't care a great deal about whether I got the conundrums. I was there to enjoy it and hopefully win a few games. I did that, and so did Peter. Although we both wanted to do as well as we could, neither of us would be particularly bothered about these things (conundrums in my case, points total in Peter's).
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

That's the way it should be Oliver, well said. :mrgreen:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:I'm not sure this is really a problem. I haven't noticed anyone but James ever mention it, but maybe I wasn't paying attention?
I'll own up to this one.
Lowest octochamp total is pretty cool if you ask me, a badge of honour, minimising exertion (not really obviously) and remaining on the border of efficiently productive. The Dimitar Berbatov of Countdown.
Exactly. I even suggested a bot in honour of Dave.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

This means I'm still the last octochamp alphabetically, doesn't it? I'm far more relieved than I should be! :D Well done to Peter on getting 7 wins though, it must be pretty gutting to miss out at the end.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Oliver Garner wrote:Yeah, it was like in your recap for my third game when you wrote 'these 2 blank conundrums maybe of some concern' - not really, I didn't care a great deal about whether I got the conundrums. I was there to enjoy it and hopefully win a few games.
I totally agree that recaps in particular shouldn't labour any negative comments unduly (especially as they're often likely to be read by the participants), but it's quite hard never to write anything that could be construed as being so, or we might risk them becoming a little bland. Admittedly, we probably shouldn't be saying things like "this player's totally useless and how did they ever get on TV?" (however much we might be thinking it sometimes), but OTOH, I wouldn't like to think that writing a recap is like walking on eggshells, either.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

I think if you write a recap, it should be done so with the respect of the player in mind. Sure, it's crazy to have to walk on eggshells, but likewise, to exercise some taste, class and self-restraint wouldn't go amiss either. Not everyone can be a Kirk or a Chris Davies. Not everyone is going to break records, but without participants there is no show, so hats off to everyone i say, regardless of accumulative points totals and all that flim-flam.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I'm pretty strongly of the view that you shouldn't criticise contestants (except for cheating), but I don't see any great harm in noting low scores - so long as you don't go on about it too much. Low winning scores come about when there aren't many tied rounds, and that can be because of good play. Mike has a long list of the lowest ever losing scores on his website, and nobody seems too upset about that. And one of the most entertaining games I've ever seen was Peter Hutchings achieving octochamp status with a 21-11 victory.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

David Williams wrote:Mike has a long list of the lowest ever losing scores on his website, and nobody seems too upset about that.
Yes, I've always been a bit uncomfortable with it, but it does cover one of the questions that people ask from time to time, so I think it's valid. I agree, however, that we probably shouldn't dwell too much on these things, and I try not to mention it too frequently.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

David Williams wrote:I'm pretty strongly of the view that you shouldn't criticise contestants (except for cheating), but I don't see any great harm in noting low scores - so long as you don't go on about it too much. [/url]
Completely agree. It's rather like hearing that Liverpool are crap and will prob finish 7th in the table, over and over again. 8-)
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

D Eadie wrote:
David Williams wrote:I'm pretty strongly of the view that you shouldn't criticise contestants (except for cheating), but I don't see any great harm in noting low scores - so long as you don't go on about it too much. [/url]
Completely agree. It's rather like hearing that Liverpool are crap and will prob finish 7th in the table, over and over again. 8-)
No, that's just fair comment. They are professionals. Contestants aren't.