Alternate numbers solutions.

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Do you like it when ppl post alternate numbers solutions?

Yes
16%
No
44%
Don't care
40%

Total votes: 25

JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Alternate numbers solutions.

Post by JackHurst »

Im sooooo tired of all the alternate numbers solutions that ppl mercilessly post in spoilers section. What do you all think?
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Alternate numbers solutions.

Post by Kirk Bevins »

JackHurst wrote:Im sooooo tired of all the alternate numbers solutions that ppl mercilessly post in spoilers section. What do you all think?
I have RETINAS for 7 as a contestant equaller.
I have RETSINA for 7 as a contestant equaller.
I think there was RETAINS for 7 as an equaller.
Wasn't there STAINER in round 3?

Almost as tedious as this.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

JackHurst wrote:Im sooooo tired of all the alternate numbers solutions that ppl mercilessly post in spoilers section. What do you all think?
I'm tired of people who use text speak on a computer. Is it really so hard to write 'people' instead of 'ppl'?! FFS, FWIW etc are fair enough, but not being bothered to type an extra three letters is ridiculous.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Steve Durney wrote: I'm tired of people who use text speak on a computer. Is it really so hard to write 'people' instead of 'ppl'?! FFS, FWIW etc are fair enough, but not being bothered to type an extra three letters is ridiculous.
It's called speed typing...the same idea that you didn't pick him up on not using an apostrophe on "I'm" above. I type so much on msn etc that "ppl" just come out naturally sometimes. Yes, "people" doesn't take that much extra effort but so what?
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Steve Durney wrote: I'm tired of people who use text speak on a computer. Is it really so hard to write 'people' instead of 'ppl'?! FFS, FWIW etc are fair enough, but not being bothered to type an extra three letters is ridiculous.
It's called speed typing...the same idea that you didn't pick him up on not using an apostrophe on "I'm" above. I type so much on msn etc that "ppl" just come out naturally sometimes. Yes, "people" doesn't take that much extra effort but so what?
'So what' could also be applied to this thread. If you don't like alternate solutions, so what?! Who cares whether you like it or not, just like you don't care about ppl / people. As Charlie wrote in another thread, if you don't like it - don't read it!!
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Steve Durney wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
'So what' could also be applied to this thread. If you don't like alternate solutions, so what?! Who cares whether you like it or not, just like you don't care about ppl / people. As Charlie wrote in another thread, if you don't like it - don't read it!!
Kind of hard to if you want to see the rest of the spoilers thread.

I agree that it's tedious to post uninteresting alternative numbers solutions (and let's face it; most of them are just that). And srsly, who gives a damn if someone uses 'ppl' or 'people'? Chill out.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Junaid Mubeen wrote: Kind of hard to if you want to see the rest of the spoilers thread.

I agree that it's tedious to post uninteresting alternative numbers solutions (and let's face it; most of them are just that). And srsly, who gives a damn if someone uses 'ppl' or 'people'? Chill out.
Sorry, I thought you could just skip that post and move on to the next one in an instant. Obviously not then. Silly me.

And who gives a damn? Exactly! If you find the posts irritating Junaid, try chilling out!
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Speed typing can have a purpose and be a habit, whereas you have to actually go out your way to post a numbers alternative, and unless it's a particularly noteworthy one then there isn't really any point. Doesn't bother me enormously but I can see why it might annoy people.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Innis uses so much text speak you can barely ever understand what he's on about.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

You could always get a mouse with a wheel - then you can scroll down as soon as you see it's a numbers solution. It won't take more than the time you've saved by not typing eoe.

Afterthought - I thought speed typing was just typing fast? Missing letters out is just textspeak (txtspk?), isn't it?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I don't worry about what people say, so long as it's unambiguous. So text speak is ok, so long as I know what the abbreviation is for. I used to use it as a kid in primary school many decades before if was ever called text speak, so I can't complain.

And I don't mind this thread being called alternate numbers solutions, when it should really be called alternative numbers solutions. In fact I wont even point that out.

As for the various numbers solutions, I've not really got a problem with it. Some are certainly boring, but then so are some other posts. I soon learn which ones to skip over.

On the whole, I'd rather have posts I don't like, than no posts at all on a subject.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Steve Durney wrote:
Junaid Mubeen wrote: Kind of hard to if you want to see the rest of the spoilers thread.

Sorry, I thought you could just skip that post and move on to the next one in an instant. Obviously not then. Silly me.

And who gives a damn? Exactly! If you find the posts irritating Junaid, try chilling out!
I didn't say I found them irritating, just that I thought that posting them was tedious and that they were, for the most part, uninteresting. Thing is, you do get the occasional bit of flair in the alternative solutions, but to detect them you have to go through the whole lot.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:I didn't say I found them irritating, just that I thought that posting them was tedious and that they were, for the most part, uninteresting. Thing is, you do get the occasional bit of flair in the alternative solutions, but to detect them you have to go through the whole lot.
They could pm them to you first for vetting, perhaps? ;)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Let's not skirt around the issue by chatting about how much better 'people' is than 'ppl' (lots better) or how boring alternate numbers solutions are (lots boring).
Just delete The Thread of Brag permanently and this place will be a lot better.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

People.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

ppl, plz...
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Don't care, post what you want in sproilers threads. If I get bored of a post I'll skip to the next one, no fuss no muss.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Let's get rid of the thread of brag. It's for cunts.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Never read the spoilers threads any more. They are shite.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Alternative To 1st Numbers:

((75 + 5 + 1 + 7) x 10) + 50 = 930
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Alternative to Official Thread of Brag:

Hi. I'm big headed.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Never read the spoilers threads any more. They are shite.

They can be spiced up though. How about posting long words, using the same letters, but alternative dictionaries, a la apterous, so we can get 8-letter DC beaters but in German, French etc. That would be really interesting.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Never read the spoilers threads any more. They are shite.
Yeah, 'alternatives' or beaters only interest me if they're, well, interesting (I think we're all capable of sticking the letters into a solver). Unfortunately what one person finds interesting another will find boring, so it's just a matter of taste. I mostly find myself being the latter, so I don't bother reading them (which is a shame, because it means I probably miss the occasional cool word/numbers solve).

And yeah, 'ppl' instead of 'people' annoys me about as much as writing 'don't' instead of 'do not'.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Getting annoyed by people posting alternative numbers solutions is surely far more weird and annoying than doing it in the first place. Just skip over them. Other have said similar but this is my alternative solution to this topic.
Matt Morrison wrote:Alternative to Official Thread of Brag:

Hi. I'm big headed.
Not at all. Pretty much everyone in the world likes other people to know when they've done something they think is impressive. You could argue that a top Apterite going on the show is big-headed. They already know they're good - why tell the whole country? Also, it does alert people to good games. There's so many games that a lot of good ones slip by unnoticed. Junaid's and Craig's max numbers attacks against Plum (who does six small) were very impressive I thought, and I'm glad I was alerted to them.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Yeah, I just skip over them too. Or I'll read them. I might even reply to them, if I want to reply. Doesn't bother me overly. Damian wanted people to post stuff they'd missed, how much worse would that be! In fact, somebody used to do exactly that (Katherine someone?), post everything they'd got, and they got very unfairly savaged for it.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:In fact, somebody used to do exactly that (Katherine someone?), post everything they'd got, and they got very unfairly savaged for it.
And I'd do the same again.