Spoilers for Friday 25th January 2008

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Spoilers for Friday 25th January 2008

Post by Craig Beevers »

NACELLES was there in the first round if I remembered the letters right.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers for Friday 25th January 2008

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Scaly_Piscine wrote:NACELLES was there in the first round if I remembered the letters right.
Well spotted.

I had a pretty good start today until the numbers, where I only got 127. I missed the 2nd numbers, but got the 3rd by going:

((75 - 4) x (9 + 1)) - (8 - 6)

I got MENTALITY too. I missed TIRAMISU, GAROTTES but got SUNBATHE.

I think anyone who plays me tomorrow will have an easy win :lol:
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Scaly_Piscine wrote:NACELLES was there in the first round if I remembered the letters right.

Excellent word. I have never heard of it but my brother's French girlfriend was able to explain the definition to me.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Great stuff David, didn't manage to catch you yesterday but was suitably impressed today.

There was quite a nice DC beater, HANEPOOT, in one of the later rounds.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

This one I have heard of, probably should have got it but not overly devastated at having missed it. Missing COTTAGERS was fairly devastated and kind of ruined my enjoyment of the victory. I was talking about this with my opponent who told me, in the nicest possible way, to wise up. Him and a few others went out for pool and a few drinks that night and I have to type that he is an absolutely top bloke with a really good sense of humour.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Well spotted.

I had a pretty good start today until the numbers, where I only got 127. I missed the 2nd numbers, but got the 3rd by going:

((75 - 4) x (9 + 1)) - (8 - 6)

I got MENTALITY too. I missed TIRAMISU, GAROTTES but got SUNBATHE.

I think anyone who plays me tomorrow will have an easy win :lol:
The 129 was quite easy if you get fluent with some of the tricks, like with 75 and 50 you can turn a 6 into a 4 by doing 6*50/75 (300/75=4) - likewise you can change a 9 into a 6 and a 3 into a 2 that way. There's plenty of other little techniques like this that help make 4 large such an advantage against the unprepared.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

As no-one's posted the 987 yet, then I will oblige (do not fear, fellow COLIN attendees, I didn't get it within the time):

75, 5, 10, 1, 8, 5 : Target 987

75 + (5 x 10) - 1 = 124
124 x 8 = 992
992 - 5 = 987

Hurrah!

You were damned good again today, David. As for the Vic Reeves thing, I think it's because you've got the same sort of funny-shaped mouth when you smile. I can see a bit of John Higgins, too, now you mention it - you and he share the same oddly-shaped head.

When I think of some more celebrities that you vaguely resemble due to having a facial feature of odd proportions, I'll let you know.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

It's a good job my oddly shaped head (I have had concussion 6 times :shock: ) is also thick skinned. I had LORIMER but didn't risk it today, just thought I'd add that for some reason.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Another good performance. A shame you didn't get the century, but 97 is still pretty good. I thought SLIDIEST was a strange risk, but you beat me with VAPID (I had PIT in that round). Also, I think HANEPOOT was in one of the rounds. Edit: Nevermind, it's been mentioned.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Yeah, SLIDIEST> was just stupid and prevented me from getting the century. We got the piss taken out of us for that one. My mind went completely blank and that word was the only one I could see, strange things happen at moments of desperation. I should have got HANEPOOT as I already stated but I was more gutted about missing COTTAGERS. But, you know, from online games, that I do tend to miss quite a few ...
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Nice 2nd game David. (The one we're allowed to judge you on!) The nerves seem to have settled today. (Either that or you managed to control your ungodly urges around Alison!) Think that was my best ever armchair hero game today. I got SUNBATHE, and BRINIEST just in the nick of time. I got COTTAGERS but thought its sole meaning was something...else. And 2 words I wouldn't have got if I hadnt joined here: PHAETON and TIRAMISU (MAURITIUS) so thanks forumites for expanding my knowledge :D See all you CO lovers tomorrow
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ah, so the key to beating Conor is have a round with rubbish letters in - I managed AUDIT and DAVIT but missed VAPID. DC-Equaller in round 8 with DELISTS. I missed TIRAMISU though which was a fantastic spot but you should have gone for LORIMER - a common Countdown word.

I managed to get my own back today by beating you as you kicked my face in yesterday but still a very impressive performance today!! Well done! I'm loving the 4 large btw.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

dinos_the_chemist wrote:Nice 2nd game David. (The one we're allowed to judge you on!) The nerves seem to have settled today. (Either that or you managed to control your ungodly urges around Alison!) Think that was my best ever armchair hero game today. I got SUNBATHE, and BRINIEST just in the nick of time. I got COTTAGERS but thought its sole meaning was something...else. And 2 words I wouldn't have got if I hadnt joined here: PHAETON and TIRAMISU (MAURITIUS) so thanks forumites for expanding my knowledge :D See all you CO lovers tomorrow

I came in to the green room and said "I should have got COTTAGERS" but I put the emphasis on the "I" and was met with a few raised eyebrows from people who began to speculate about my private life and/or hobbies.
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Great game again David. You beat me narrowly 91-97. I thought TIRAMISU was an awesome spot. I was thinking I was going to get the points with MARQUIS. I didn't see COTTAGERS or LORIMER (which I was more annoyed about) either, and like you stupidly risked SLIDIEST, then too late saw DELISTS. Enjoying your run and looking forward to some trickier 'Motown' selections.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Cheers James, good to know I am not the only eejit.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Great game again today Dave, SUNBATHE and TIRAMISU stood out for me as particularly great spots, as they're not -IER, -ING, -IEST kind of words.

Great player, nice demeanour, and sexy-as-hell. Thoroughly enjoyable viewing ;)
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Corby wrote:Great game again today Dave, SUNBATHE and TIRAMISU stood out for me as particularly great spots, as they're not -IER, -ING, -IEST kind of words.
Absolutely - couldn't agree with you more Jon - getting words like that is the mark of a real natural at the letters game, and you (David I mean) are obviously great at the numbers as well. Ok you missed a word or two here and there but every contestant in history has done that... I wouldn't beat yourself up about it!

I could only get one away on the first numbers, which I'm annoyed about, even I should have got that one but I had a bit of a 'brainstorm'... was also stuck on 988 for the second, I saw on about 28 seconds that you might be able to do (124*8)-5 but didn't have any time left to look for the 124. Luckily I was on fire on the letters, which you need to be to have any chance against David!

Btw David I sympathize re Carol wrongly having a go at you on Thursday's show - I would've been a bit gutted if something like that had happened to me in my first game, since I was keen to make a good impression... but you handled it very well, as you have done everything else, including all the autopsies being carried out on these threads! Do tell us if they're starting to annoy you...

Julian
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

He loves the limelight, I'm sure. ;) Enjoy it whilst it lasts David - you'll miss it when it's gone. Looking at what's gone so far I am sure that there is much more to come.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Julian wrote:
Corby wrote:Great game again today Dave, SUNBATHE and TIRAMISU stood out for me as particularly great spots, as they're not -IER, -ING, -IEST kind of words.
including all the autopsies being carried out on these threads! Do tell us if they're starting to annoy you...

Julian
I was dreading the autopsies because I knew I had missed words that I would never miss at home but I have to type I think everyone has gone rather easy on me. I think you made a point, in another thread, that Craig is clear favourite for the CoC. I have to agree with you but if one person has a chance against him then it's probably Corby who is a much stronger player now than his original run. I hosted a game where he beat young Conor (Conor normally has me beat by rd 13/14 sometimes worse!) and unscrambled the conundrum S I T O N A P A T which I thought was rather tricky.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David O'Donnell wrote:I have to agree with you but if one person has a chance against him then it's probably Corby who is a much stronger player now than his original run. I hosted a game where he beat young Conor (Conor normally has me beat by rd 13/14 sometimes worse!) and unscrambled the conundrum S I T O N A P A T which I thought was rather tricky.
(I'm pretty sure the conundrum was GLYCAEMIA when I beat the nipper. But, it has to be said that was a one-in-a-hundred game, 99% of the time Conor thrashes me out of sight too!)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Oh crap you're right. You did get this conundrum against someone good too, right? Or maybe I set it just as a conundrum challenge on its own and you beat the nipper to it. Anyway, I was impressed ... I reckon you'll c**t Craig, he's soft .... 14 maxima .... doesn't that mean he missed one?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David O'Donnell wrote:Oh crap you're right. You did get this conundrum against someone good too, right? Or maybe I set it just as a conundrum challenge on its own and you beat the nipper to it. Anyway, I was impressed ... I reckon you'll c**t Craig, he's soft .... 14 maxima .... doesn't that mean he missed one?
I vaguely remember getting ANTIPASTO yeah, although I'm actually pretty crappy online to be honest, I don't really like just seeing the letters typed out in a little msn window, I think it's really really important to me to have them nice and big and clear like on the show. You just seem to have some kind of block against me online for some reason (I think you've won once haven't you?!)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

The only game I won was the one you hosted yourself and had the added distraction of producing the letter selections, keeping the scores etc .. :oops:
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

David O'Donnell wrote:Oh crap you're right. You did get this conundrum against someone good too, right? Or maybe I set it just as a conundrum challenge on its own and you beat the nipper to it. Anyway, I was impressed ... I reckon you'll c**t Craig, he's soft .... 14 maxima .... doesn't that mean he missed one?
Lol. Yes, beatable in just one round up to the conundrum in both his series QF and series final... Craig is rubbish! Don't know how he even passed his audition.

Seriously though, he is remorseless - 907 points from an octochamp run with only two nines available is incredible... I think all the other contestants who've scored over 850 had at least 6 nines available each. And he then went and got even better for finals week. He doesn't seem to have a weakness, and he seems immune to nerves... all I can say is, it's going to take one hell of a performance to knock him out!

But I'll be interested to see if, as you say David, Jon C. continues the recent trend of already-good contestants getting even better for the CofC, a la Mark Tournoff, Paul Howe, John Davies, Jack Welsby and - especially - Paul Gallen, who was like a different player in CofC XII compared to his original series. I thought his improvement was unreal. This wasn't really in evidence in my own CofC, where I thought everybody played at pretty much the same level as they had before... since then there's been a spate of contestants who've been motivated and dedicated enough to do loads of practice following their initial run, and managed to raise their game in the most pressured conditions of all - which made for some fantastic play in the last CofC.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Well done here David, cant believe that COTTAGERS came up. I had it down as my favourite word on my application sheet as its a derogatory word we use for one of my friends who once disappeared into a public toilet for an unusual length of time...

Just before I went on the show, I said to my mates that COTTAGERS would be the best 9-letter word I could get but that it would be unlikely that such a selection would come up very often.

TIRAMISU was brilliant by the way.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

Getting 'tiramisu' should outweigh not getting 'cottagers', because it's such a difficult word. That's the one which told me how tough my game was going to be.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

You did come up to me and say "I am the next lamb to the slaughter." I think you were the one player who was more nervous than me prior to going onstage.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

Once the filming started I felt and looked pretty calm though - that's the one thing almost everybody who's seen it has commented on.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Yes, you were incredibly calm mate. I was flabbergasted because I was still so nervous. My game with you felt like torture. I am going to have to work on chilling the f**k out before the finals that's if I haven't topped myself before then.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Julian wrote:This wasn't really in evidence in my own CofC, where I thought everybody played at pretty much the same level as they had before... since then there's been a spate of contestants who've been motivated and dedicated enough to do loads of practice following their initial run, and managed to raise their game in the most pressured conditions of all - which made for some fantastic play in the last CofC.
I thought Graham Nash upped his game, certainly against you anyway!
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

David O'Donnell wrote:Yes, you were incredibly calm mate. I was flabbergasted because I was still so nervous. My game with you felt like torture. I am going to have to work on chilling the f**k out before the finals that's if I haven't topped myself before then.
Yeah I found the finals MUCH more nerve-racking than the original run when I was on... there'll be a lot of expectation surrounding you David as (probable) no.1 seed so it can be difficult. I'm sure you'll do well, though seriously it might be worth talking to Craig about whether there's anything particular you can do to help you relax...

Gevin: good point.