Spoilers for Wednesday, 3rd June

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Spoilers for Wednesday, 3rd June

Post by Phil Reynolds »

The debut appearance today of Apteroid Chris Kirby, and he's off to a flying start: 37-0 going into the first break.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday, 3rd June

Post by Matt Morrison »

I was going to start this thread earlier but I didn't catch the other guy's name.

Oh well, I doubt he'll want to be remembered the way this is going...
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Stop shouting that at the television!!!! ;)
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

(75+4*4)*8+3
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

R10

(75+4*4)=91
91*8=728
728+3=731

In time too :)
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

4x4
+75
+3
= 731
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:I was going to start this thread earlier but I didn't catch the other guy's name.
It's Ian Sinclair. This is turning into a bloodbath.

I was quite pleased to beat both contestants with DECODES in the GEODESIC round.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

(75+4*4)*8+3=731
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I wonder whether Chris had DISCOED as his risky 7 :?:
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

Rachy got the numbers solution after the break !
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

3rd numbers:

(100 x 8) + 10 + 9 + 6 - 2
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Good ton debut Chris :D

Bit surprised you missed the two nines, but to be expected under the tv studio/audience pressure.

Well played sir. ;)
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Jojo Apollo wrote:Good ton debut Chris :D

Bit surprised you missed the two nines, but to be expected under the tv studio/audience pressure.

Well played sir. ;)
Yeah. From his facial expression in the INGATHERS round it seemed like he knew he'd missed a nine :)
I actually did great today - got both the nines, all the numbers and conundrum.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I was 1 away on the numbers, check this out:

(3+1)x4+75 =91. 91x8=728 and add on the 4.

How flippin' annoying. What an idiot.

Anyway I 'beat' Ian 136-13; probably my biggest winning margin for quite some time.

Well done Chris, a fantastic debut.
Chris Kirby

Post by Chris Kirby »

Cheers everyone! Was a bit disappointed to miss the two 9's.. played it a little safe throughout, but I cant complain :)
Andrew Hulme
Acolyte

Post by Andrew Hulme »

Nice one mate. EZ Game innit.
Chris Kirby

Post by Chris Kirby »

Hahaha i wish!
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Good performance Chris.
Congratulations.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Chris Kirby wrote:Cheers everyone! Was a bit disappointed to miss the two 9's.. played it a little safe throughout, but I cant complain :)
Hi Chris, good to see you on C4C at last! Excellent debut performance today. If you haven't already done so, check out the Series 60 finals thread - there's a link somewhere to some of my photos, including one or two of you before you passed out. ;)
Chris Kirby

Post by Chris Kirby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Chris Kirby wrote:Cheers everyone! Was a bit disappointed to miss the two 9's.. played it a little safe throughout, but I cant complain :)
Hi Chris, good to see you on C4C at last! Excellent debut performance today. If you haven't already done so, check out the Series 60 finals thread - there's a link somewhere to some of my photos, including one or two of you before you passed out. ;)
Haha thanks v.much Phil! And Ill check em out and put em on facebook hehe. When are we gonna see you on the show? :)
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Anyway I 'beat' Ian 136-13; probably my biggest winning margin for quite some time.
Yeah that was around how much I 'whooped' you by in your 2nd heat game. For a moment I thought Julian Fell was gonna get name checked in the INGATHERS round. Wasn't to be.

I had INLAYERS as a nice equaller in one of the later rounds.

Great debut Chris, an absolute battering.
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

3rd numbers alternative (100+6/2)*8-(10-9)=823
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:For a moment I thought Julian Fell was gonna get name checked in the INGATHERS round. Wasn't to be.
Yeah I thought Richard was leading to something specific with the way he introduced the word as well, but alas no.

Great debut Chris, very well done.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Chris Kirby wrote:Haha thanks v.much Phil! [...] When are we gonna see you on the show? :)
Well, having heard this week that audience participation on missed conundrums is to be reintroduced, I might have to get some audience tickets and try to ease myself in that way. These things can't be rushed.
Tracey Lilly
Rookie

Post by Tracey Lilly »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Chris Kirby wrote:Haha thanks v.much Phil! [...] When are we gonna see you on the show? :)
Well, having heard this week that audience participation on missed conundrums is to be reintroduced, I might have to get some audience tickets and try to ease myself in that way. These things can't be rushed.
But will they stretch to a Countdown Mug as a prize!
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Well done Chris, impressive debut.You must have got on the show pretty quickly as I remember chatting to you not long ago and you were about to audition.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

I always thought specialty was an American word, and specialIty was the British version. I personally have never heard anyone in England say specialty in conversation YET, but perhaps it is another one of those that are creeping in through the proliferation of American films and TV.

Good work Chris.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Derek Hazell wrote:I always thought specialty was an American word, and specialIty was the British version. I personally have never heard anyone in England say specialty in conversation YET, but perhaps it is another one of those that are creeping in through the proliferation of American films and TV.
I'm fairly sure it's in general use in medical terminology. I remember it being used during my Operational Research course at university (mid-80's).
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

David Roe wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:I always thought specialty was an American word, and specialIty was the British version. I personally have never heard anyone in England say specialty in conversation YET, but perhaps it is another one of those that are creeping in through the proliferation of American films and TV.
I'm fairly sure it's in general use in medical terminology. I remember it being used during my Operational Research course at university (mid-80's).
Hmm, I've never thought of it as an American word ... I've come to the weak conclusion that a specialty is more likely to be a skill, and a speciality a produced item. Chambers leaves me none the wiser though.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

If it were merely a variant American spelling of "speciality" it would presumably be disallowed on Countdown, so it must - at some level - be an inherently different word. But FWIW (not a lot!) Word's American spellchecker thinks that "speciality" is a wrong spelling of "specialty", while its UK spellchecker takes the contrary view.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Brian Moore wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:I always thought specialty was an American word, and specialIty was the British version.
Hmm, I've never thought of it as an American word ... I've come to the weak conclusion that a specialty is more likely to be a skill, and a speciality a produced item. Chambers leaves me none the wiser though.
According to Collins, the UK spelling is SPECIALITY for both senses mentioned by Brian (a special interest or skill, and a service or product specialized in). However, SPECIALTY is listed under a separate entry, having a particular meaning in law - a formal contract or obligation expressed in a deed - with a subsidiary definition being another word, chiefly US and Canadian, for SPECIALITY.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Phil Reynolds wrote:According to Collins, the UK spelling is SPECIALITY for both senses mentioned by Brian (a special interest or skill, and a service or product specialized in). However, SPECIALTY is listed under a separate entry, having a particular meaning in law - a formal contract or obligation expressed in a deed - with a subsidiary definition being another word, chiefly US and Canadian, for SPECIALITY.
Thank you Phil!
So, I was half right then.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:According to Collins, the UK spelling is SPECIALITY for both senses mentioned by Brian (a special interest or skill, and a service or product specialized in). However, SPECIALTY is listed under a separate entry, having a particular meaning in law - a formal contract or obligation expressed in a deed - with a subsidiary definition being another word, chiefly US and Canadian, for SPECIALITY.
Thank you Phil!
So, I was half right then.
Back to Chambers, and confusion abounds. SPECIALTY is listed twice under SPECIAL: once as the US version of SPECIALITY, defininition a "special occupation or object of attention"; once as an ordinary (UK) word, definition "any special product [...] any special pursuit". As I say, it leaves me no wiser than before. I guess that usage is confused, and therefore so is the dictionary definition.