Spoilers for Friday 3rd April 2009

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Spoilers for Friday 3rd April 2009

Post by Adam Dexter »

R1: MULLERS?
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Re: Spoilers for Friday 3rd April 2009

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

ANTIPOPE as a beater in rd 3
Last edited by Junaid Mubeen on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

SEDIMENT for Rd 2.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Painfully bad numbers round... thought it was easy tbh!
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Jerry Springer is a Countdown rarity - a guest that just speaks from the heart and means what he says. I don't really want to hear Just William or some showbiz stories from 20 years ago. I'm delighted that we've had two excellent guests in the last two weeks.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

TTT2: I thought there was 2 Gs in GOUGH...
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Second numbers alternative: (100+9x7)x2=326
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

3rd numbers:

25x((7x8)-(9x2)) - 6
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

9-6 +2
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:3rd numbers:

25x((7x8)-(9x2)) - 6
Zactly the same.

I've never seen a more nervous contestant.

BTW doesn't Joe look like that guest (is it Brian Capron) of The Bill?
Last edited by Kai Laddiman on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

My 13 year old sister got INSOLENCE within 3 seconds... BRILLIANT!
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
I've never seen a more nervous contestant.
Kinda wonder how she got through the audition tbh. Felt a bit sorry for her :(
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

The round where DC got 7 with SORRIER, I got ORRERIES for 8.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Phil Reynolds wrote:The round where DC got 7 with SORRIER, I got ORRERIES for 8.
I share your glory here ;)
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Chris Davies wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:The round where DC got 7 with SORRIER, I got ORRERIES for 8.
I share your glory here ;)
And me. I spotted the singular form (ORRERY) first, then got the plural straight after, then spent the rest of the round wondering whether I'd imagined the existence of such an odd word. Not one for Jonathan Woss.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I've never seen a more nervous contestant.
I don't think it was entirely nerves - she appeared to have some sort of respiratory condition.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Clare Sudbery wrote:I spotted the singular form (ORRERY) first, then got the plural straight after, then spent the rest of the round wondering whether I'd imagined the existence of such an odd word.
Yeah, I noticed ORRERY first too. In my case I knew ORRERIES was a word but spent the rest of the round trying to count the Es and Rs I could see on screen to convince myself I had enough. Not helped by the new "improved" Channel 4 Catch-Up which seems much jerkier than the old one. Also, there's no longer a fast forward button, which used to be really useful for zipping through the letters selection or advancing quickly to the end of the clock period if you'd got the numbers quickly or whatever.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Yeah, I noticed ORRERY first too. In my case I knew ORRERIES was a word but spent the rest of the round trying to count the Es and Rs I could see on screen to convince myself I had enough. Not helped by the new "improved" Channel 4 Catch-Up which seems much jerkier than the old one. Also, there's no longer a fast forward button, which used to be really useful for zipping through the letters selection or advancing quickly to the end of the clock period if you'd got the numbers quickly or whatever.
I didn't get ORRERIES but had that feeling that there was a word there that I should be getting. Not an unsual feeling unusual for me.

Re 4oD Catch Up as it calls itself now, yes it does seem to be much jerkier - I've resorted to watching it unmaximised as it's less noticeable that way. But you can scroll forwards, Phil, just by clicking ahead on the progress bar.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Brian Moore wrote:Re 4oD Catch Up as it calls itself now, yes it does seem to be much jerkier - I've resorted to watching it unmaximised as it's less noticeable that way. But you can scroll forwards, Phil, just by clicking ahead on the progress bar.
Yes, I know, but it's a bit hit-and-miss, and quite difficult to jump forward 20 seconds or so which is usually all I want.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Adam Dexter wrote:
I was in the audience for these games as it was half term when they were filming and I wanted to see Springer. I was in the green room and Danielle had left me to reassure Sue that it would be fine. She was a massive bag of nerves and admitted it herself and she nearly backed out. I had to convince her that it was great fun and just enjoy the experience as it may be 120 rounds or just 15 rounds so ignore the cameras and just have a great time. My convincing didn't work.

I got ANTIPOPE and FIGURAL as DC beaters but my mate in the audience with me got ORRERIES which I was super impressed with.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Phil Reynolds wrote:but it's a bit hit-and-miss, and quite difficult to jump forward
Women would probably be more accurate in their aim, even if the jumping forward still presents problems.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Brian Moore wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:but it's a bit hit-and-miss, and quite difficult to jump forward
Women would probably be more accurate in their aim, even if the jumping forward still presents problems.
I feel sure this must be some kind of lewd reference, but I'm damned if I know what it is.

[scratches head and looks puzzled]
Kirk Bevins wrote:She was a massive bag of nerves and admitted it herself and she nearly backed out. I had to convince her that it was great fun and just enjoy the experience
It's funny this. People keep saying it, but... it can't be true for everyone. Not all contestants have The Time Of Their Life. I know most have a great experience, but for some it's probably just a bit grim and terrifying, and they're glad when it's all over!
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Kirk Bevins wrote:She was a massive bag of nerves and admitted it herself and she nearly backed out. I had to convince her that it was great fun and just enjoy the experience
It's funny this. People keep saying it, but... it can't be true for everyone. Not all contestants have The Time Of Their Life. I know most have a great experience, but for some it's probably just a bit grim and terrifying, and they're glad when it's all over!

Kinda weird that I disliked my Countdown experience at the time as I get (or got) really bad nerves, but now I remember it as being fantastic - but at the time it wasn't! I remember saying that you can do the right thing and regret it, and do the wrong thing and not regret. I feel that's relevant here, but I'm not sure why.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Martin Gardner wrote:I remember saying that you can do the right thing and regret it, and do the wrong thing and not regret. I feel that's relevant here, but I'm not sure why.
Something to do with being happy that you took the plunge and went for it, rather than just opting for the boring life with no risk. Yes, risk can result in bad things, but it all adds colour to your life experience; creates the opportunity for adventure. A bit like "better to have loved and lost..."

The usage of "right thing" and "wrong thing" is a bit confusing though, as it seems to imply that the "wrong thing" in fact turns out to be the right thing, and vice versa.

I would say more on the subject, but I'll wait a week or so.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I wasn't drunk when I wrote that, but I was stupidly tired so I'll start again. It's amazing how people talking about their own Countdown experiences can bring back memories that you'd lost for years.

I remember that I wasn't that nervous for my first game, and as Julian puts it on the Countdown Page "you can get on a roll". Once you've won a couple you can just keep going, and one advantage you have is you're "normally" going to be less nervous than your opponents, who have never been on TV* and they have to beat the incumbent player.

For my quarter-final I was nervous but not too much, and my opponent was REALLY nervous and ended up with three disallowed solutions in a row, which basically ended the game. The problem was, due to the recording schedule the second semi and final (John Davies won the final game of the day before). But to avoid things going 'flat' they actually shot the first three games of Series 50 before the Series 49 final! So they started the show by saying 'what a marvellous grand final we had yesterday' - and it hadn't been filmed yet!

So I was unbelievably nervous, and there was a large part of me that wanted to lose just so I didn't have to do it again. Obviously I didn't throw the game, but I was so nervous I could barely see the letters. Dunno how I got 86 in that game, pretty much because David (Wilson) only had about 3 maxes on the letters in that game.

In the audience afterwards I just wanted to cry, not really sadness but just exhaustion. But I didn't because they'd have taken me out of the studio and I'd have missed the final.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Adam Dexter wrote:
I was in the audience for these games as it was half term when they were filming and I wanted to see Springer. I was in the green room and Danielle had left me to reassure Sue that it would be fine. She was a massive bag of nerves and admitted it herself and she nearly backed out. I had to convince her that it was great fun and just enjoy the experience as it may be 120 rounds or just 15 rounds so ignore the cameras and just have a great time. My convincing didn't work.

I got ANTIPOPE and FIGURAL as DC beaters but my mate in the audience with me got ORRERIES which I was super impressed with.
Just caught up with this last night, SWMBO thought she had a bad cold too. That was very kind of you Kirk, I hope she appreciated it.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum