Spoilers, Thursday 02/04/09

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers, Thursday 02/04/09

Post by Matt Morrison »

Can't believe no thread yet. Everyone's either got a Cate-over, or they're outside enjoying the sun.

It's Sandy vs Joe The Piranha.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Re: Spoilers, Thursday 02/04/09

Post by Chris Davies »

Unless I'm missing something, Sandy could have solved the second numbers by doing what she did and adding on (7-6) afterwards?
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday April 2nd

Post by Peter Mabey »

Easier way for 651: (25+6)x7x3
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

R10 (2nd numbers), Sandy's method was: (9x3)-1 = 26, 26x25 = 650
When Rachel was asked to solve it, all she needed to do was add (7-6) = 1 to get 651.

Surprised she didn't notice that, guess she was concentrating on remembering her own method.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

MOISTURE

As I'd started a redundant thread for today, I'll mention here too that I didn't need Rachel's method , as 651 = (25+6)x3x7
Last edited by Peter Mabey on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Got the third numbers same was as Rachel, and noticed it's a similar way to get the target when I do 'swapsies' when I took the third set of numbers - 2.2.4.7.8.25 to get the second target - 651: (4x25)-7 x (8-(1/1))

I guess it's because both targets are seven times tables, but I notice quite often that the random numbers have a theme. i.e. sometimes one target is 784 and another is 816 so you can reach 800 and either minus or add 16. Just thought I'd share as I like it... :oops:
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

OUTLIERS
VENULES

Whats the record for the lowest score by current champion? It might be under threat in tomorrows episode if the challenger is any good.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:I notice quite often that the random numbers have a theme
Uh, really?
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Good to see a psychiatric nurse win, although how anyone can say they enjoy housework is beyond me.... :?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rich Priest wrote:Good to see a psychiatric nurse win, although how anyone can say they enjoy housework is beyond me.... :?
I think this poll is relevant.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

I noticed that Jerry got introduced first today, with an extra big build-up, instead of standing in line behind Rachel and the candidates as usual. Did he (or his agent) take umbrage at his lowlier ranking on the Wednesday show?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:I noticed that Jerry got introduced first today, with an extra big build-up, instead of standing in line behind Rachel and the candidates as usual. Did he (or his agent) take umbrage at his lowlier ranking on the Wednesday show?
I doubt it. Jeff does vary the order of the introductions from time to time.

I'm enjoying Jerry's appearances on the show, especially his dry wit (the "anti-Semitic" line was a gem) and the way he plays down his own intelligence. It occurs to me that he must surely be the only DC guest who has not only appeared on the West End stage but has also been portrayed on the West End stage.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I'm enjoying Jerry's appearances on the show, especially his dry wit (the "anti-Semitic" line was a gem)
I was only paying semi-attention at the time, but it sounded to me like he repeated 'anti-Semitic' when he needed to say 'anti-emitics' ?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Jerry's been excellent, I'm definitely tuning in again today. And yes Rachel was wearing New York taxi yellow, still had anyone noticed that she disappeared almost entirely into the set on Monday and Tuesday by wearing bright blue against a bright blue backdrop. I'll probably get bollocked for posting this (again).
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:I'm enjoying Jerry's appearances on the show, especially his dry wit (the "anti-Semitic" line was a gem)
I was only paying semi-attention at the time, but it sounded to me like he repeated 'anti-Semitic' when he needed to say 'anti-emitics' ?
No. Susie pointed out that "Semitic" wasn't allowed as it's capitalised. Jerry then commented, "Isn't not permitting Semitic being anti-Semitic?"
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
No. Susie pointed out that "Semitic" wasn't allowed as it's capitalised. Jerry then commented, "Isn't not permitting Semitic being anti-Semitic?"
Ok, gotcha. I thought he was saying "that makes you anti-emitics" when Susie said that emitics weren't very nice because they induced vomiting. Think I prefer my version :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote: Ok, gotcha. I thought he was saying "that makes you anti-emitics" when Susie said that emitics weren't very nice because they induced vomiting. Think I prefer my version :)
I think you mean "emetics"; the connection to emitting is something of a faux-ami.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: Ok, gotcha. I thought he was saying "that makes you anti-emitics" when Susie said that emitics weren't very nice because they induced vomiting. Think I prefer my version :)
I think you mean "emetics"; the connection to emitting is something of a faux-ami.
Yeah, apologies. Clearly not in a mood conducive to good spelling. Relevance stands though, 'anti-emetic' would have worked.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:
In my previous post I toyed with the idea of quoting Matt's "anti-emitics" and putting "sic" in brackets afterwards, but it wasn't all that funny so I didn't bother.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Phil Reynolds wrote:In my previous post I toyed with the idea of quoting Matt's "anti-emitics" and putting "sic" in brackets afterwards, but it wasn't all that funny so I didn't bother.
I'm glad you got that out of your system. (I toyed with the idea of putting that as a reply, but decided that that wasn't all that funny either.)
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

I saw INCEST.

Not a spoiler, just a fritzly-ditzly fact.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum