Spoilers for March 17th

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Spoilers for March 17th

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I've just watched the downloaded version from 4oD fine. After the 712 you'll notice I mouth to Sid and Charlie in the audience "come on..." and I tense up ready for the conundrum. My mind was all focus focus focus and this point was the only point I felt real nerves. My hand instantly shrivelled (was well weird - was like it had pins and needles in) and I couldn't move my fingers. I had to place my hand over the buzzer (rather than just a finger) and boy was I so happy to get that conundrum.

Just watching it back now I'm sweating as it brings back so many memories. After the edits (hardly any if any at all) I remember Charlie and Sid stormed onto the set and Charlie gave me a massive hug. :D
Peter Staveley

Post by Peter Staveley »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Peter Staveley wrote:I had the same problem with Catch Up. However, I downloaded the show using my 4oD and (after downloading) I was able to watch the entire show.

Well done Kirk.

Peter
Did you do this via the Channel 4 site?
Yes. If you go to http://www.channel4.com/4od/index.html then press the button "Get 4oD on your PC now".

After you install it then you can search for Countdown, find the correct programme and download the programme (rather than watching it by streaming). Obviously once the programme has been downloaded then you can watch it.

Peter
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Peter Staveley wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:
Peter Staveley wrote:I had the same problem with Catch Up. However, I downloaded the show using my 4oD and (after downloading) I was able to watch the entire show.

Well done Kirk.

Peter
Did you do this via the Channel 4 site?
Yes. If you go to http://www.channel4.com/4od/index.html then press the button "Get 4oD on your PC now".

After you install it then you can search for Countdown, find the correct programme and download the programme (rather than watching it by streaming). Obviously once the programme has been downloaded then you can watch it.

Peter
Thanks.

Oh god, it's taking forever :(.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kirk Bevins wrote: and Charlie gave me a massive hug. :D
Pff, if it's not in the broadcast it doesn't count. I'll just about let the "octorun record" thing pass, but if this hug gets credited on the cdb, there'll be hell to pay.

Had any offers yet btw? :)
Darren Carter
What a lot of bling

Post by Darren Carter »

Chris Davies wrote:I did get the last numbers the same was as Kirk, after noticing the target was divisible by 8, though I wouldn't have had time to write it down :D. Congratulations!
Same, I did it exactly the same way when I realised it was divisible by 8.
Lisa Thomson

Post by Lisa Thomson »

Well done Kirk! Quite amazing!
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Jon Corby wrote: there'll be hell to pay.
Was this just an excuse to get the word 'Pay' into the topic?
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Just watching it back now I'm sweating as it brings back so many memories. After the edits (hardly any if any at all) I remember Charlie and Sid stormed onto the set and Charlie gave me a massive hug. :D
It's a dangerous game, playing well when Charlie's around. Fortunately I'll never be at risk.

Of course, if you'd spotted "pasticcio" the number would have been academic. ;) But congratulations anyway. :D
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Just watched the recording, Congratulations Kirk, it was touch and go there, I didn't think you were going to make it to the record. I don't know how you held yourself together for the conundrum. What sort of state were Charlie and Simon in?

Looking forward to the finals now - I wonder if Neil is too?
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:What sort of state were Charlie and Simon in?
Simon was totally made up and I was just an emotional wreck. I really didn't think he'd get that last numbers and I know from experience that trying to solve a conundrum under that much pressure is just massively difficult. I think no one has ever worked as hard for as long as Kirk did for that moment, so it was all a bit much and I had to have a hug from Lara to calm me down. That's what I told her, anyway.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

From the moment I noticed you were 19 points off the record with 20 available, I knew you were going to make it. Although that numbers round certainly wasn't as easy as it could've been ( I did it a completely different way to you). A choice of 6 small would've been interesting! Well done Kirk. Do you accept bribes? :?
Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Looking forward to the finals now - I wonder if Neil is too?
I am indeed- not least because I have 2 exams the day before the finals are recorded and it would be nice to get them out the way! Besides it'll be a pleasure to watch the most one-sided finals matches ever! :)
Tracey Lilly
Rookie

Post by Tracey Lilly »

Thanks for the tip of downloading 4oD.
Although it took 72 mins to download and I had to wait until this morning, at least I could watch the second 2 thirds and see Kirk beaming with pride.
A pity there are not extenuating circumstances to allow some of Kirk's opponents back to pay against each other in a 'first time losers' CofC.

Today will probably be quite an anti climax after the excitment of the last two weeks but at least I will have a chance to match the players and be familiar with most of the words used.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Neil Zussman wrote:Besides it'll be a pleasure to watch the most one-sided finals matches ever! :)
Not if the Goughulator has anything to say about it...
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Neil Zussman wrote:Besides it'll be a pleasure to watch the most one-sided finals matches ever! :)
That's what I meant, he'll annihilate Kirk in the final ;)

By the way, did those of you who went to see Kirk's show being recorded get a chance to speak to today's 2 contestants? Did they realise that whichever of them won would be the luckiest person to win a teapot ever? (On the basis that if they'd been on a little earlier in the day, they'd've had no chance).
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Neil Zussman wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:
That's what I meant, he'll annihilate Kirk in the final ;)

By the way, did those of you who went to see Kirk's show being recorded get a chance to speak to today's 2 contestants? Did they realise that whichever of them won would be the luckiest person to win a teapot ever? (On the basis that if they'd been on a little earlier in the day, they'd've had no chance).
Not really in that context. I think the girl left pretty sharpish, but we did have a brief chat with the guy. From what I recall at the time, he hadn't seen Countdown since he was a kid, but someone he knew had audience tickets (maybe during Series 59) and he went along. Apparently he was beating the contestants from the audience and under peer pressure got an application form and applied to become a contestant. Funnily, he had only just passed his audition the previous week before becoming the standby for Kirk's run (due to living in York).

Didn't really answer your question there... but I suppose he wouldn't really have cared that much if he were to face Kirk during his run.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Kirk, how come you're not in all the papers today? If Kai and Neil McKenzie merit column inches, I would have thought you'd be big news.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Just watched this on tape. Fucking brilliant stuff there. I'd read in another thread that he needed 114 to beat it so I kept an eye on that all the way and I thought it might be difficult at one point. I know it's "below his average" but to get 114 is always tough however good you are because unless there's a nine you pretty much have to score in every round.

I haven't seen anyone mention it on this thread - was EGOTIZES in round 1?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Craig Beevers wrote:
Allan Harmer wrote:Truely awesome Kirk - We are all proud of you becoming the best player of all-time on CD.
Err bullshit.

Good timing that Julian's missing octochamp games were all put online recently, not sure how their percentages compare but I think Kirk probably deserved to pip him based on not missing as much 'easy' stuff.
Of course since Kirk hasn't even won a series yet, let alone a CofC, it would be crazy to say he is the greatest ever. I think you (Craig) would have possibly the best case for greatest had you entered your CofC and won it in the same form you played your series, but you didn't so tough. I think if Kirk wins the series and goes onto win the CofC (assuming they still have one) then he would have a pretty good case.

It's also good to see the record run having the perfect game in it innit?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Finally watched it. Epic epic epic.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Just watched this on tape. Fucking brilliant stuff there. I'd read in another thread that he needed 114 to beat it so I kept an eye on that all the way and I thought it might be difficult at one point. I know it's "below his average" but to get 114 is always tough however good you are because unless there's a nine you pretty much have to score in every round.

I haven't seen anyone mention it on this thread - was EGOTIZES in round 1?
I got EGOTIZES as well, I'll check it when I have time*

When I can be arsed.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I haven't seen anyone mention it on this thread - was EGOTIZES in round 1?
Martin Gardner wrote:I got EGOTIZES as well, I'll check it when I have time* When I can be arsed.
I'll put you both out of your misery... it's not valid. It used to be, but was removed a couple of dictionaries back - I didn't realise myself until Dinos pointed it out to me at COLIN.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Mike Brown wrote: I'll put you both out of your misery... it's not valid. It used to be, but was removed a couple of dictionaries back - I didn't realise myself until Dinos pointed it out to me at COLIN.
I was pointing it out to many people at COLIN (so was it me or did Dinos steal my thunder?). Jon Corby pointed out to me that ICONISE wasn't in which shocked me (only ICONIZE is valid).
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Apparently the whole show is now available at Catch-Up. Here's the email from C4:

"Thank you for your email regarding Catch-Up on Channel4.com.

I have checked Catch-Up and can confirm that this full episode of COUNTDOWN
is now available to stream. You can find this episode along with the other
episodes listed on Catch-Up.

You can find this programme by searching for it using the drop down menu on
the home page.

I hope you enjoy the programme."

See, miracles do happen. No mention of DRM or re-installing WMP.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Simon Myers wrote: Funnily, he had only just passed his audition the previous week before becoming the standby for Kirk's run (due to living in York).
When I was on my champion's run, after I'd won 5 games Connie Hird, who lived in Bridlington, was called to the studios as a standby in case I won 8, having only passed her audition 4 days before.In the event she wasn't needed because I lost my 7th game, and she returned later in the series to play Jonathan Coles.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote: I know it's "below his average" but to get 114 is always tough
Actually my average hovers around 113 and 114.
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

Well done Kirk on your Octochamp run - amazing stuff! especially to beat the record that I thought would never be beaten. You've obviously put in more than a great deal of effort down the years and credit to you.

I caught your last show on 4od and it was nerve racking. Wonder if Julian is reading or knows about the record. Lastly Kirk, any offers from ladies/gay fan mail etc lol.
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: I know it's "below his average" but to get 114 is always tough
Actually my average hovers around 113 and 114.
What I meant was your average in your octochamp run which was over 115.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Mike Brown wrote: I'll put you both out of your misery... it's not valid. It used to be, but was removed a couple of dictionaries back - I didn't realise myself until Dinos pointed it out to me at COLIN.
I was pointing it out to many people at COLIN (so was it me or did Dinos steal my thunder?).
I'm pretty certain it was Dinos, but then you look very similar. :)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Mike Brown wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
I was pointing it out to many people at COLIN (so was it me or did Dinos steal my thunder?).
I'm pretty certain it was Dinos, but then you look very similar. :)
I vaguely recall checking a word at COLIN that is valid for ISM/IST but not ISE, but then maybe some untrustworthy psycho analyst experts might have shown me a picture of Kirk in a hot air balloon with a photo of my face as a child superimposed on his, thus proving by induction that I am Kirk, and Kirk is God, so ghosts exist... or something.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Just watched it now... great drama, plus it was great to see the look on Kirk's face when he got the 925. Reminds me why I started watching Countdown in the first place.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Martin Gardner wrote:If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
If you were very careful, could you get a whole gandi and a whole seeg?
Nick Wainwright
Series 56 Champion

Post by Nick Wainwright »

Well done Kirk, a well deserved record after all the practice you've put in.

I finally got to see the game last night after all the problems with channel4.com/catchup but it was well worth the wait. Nice too to have the record be brought to the audience's attention by Jeff - I was just expecting the standard departing octochamp remarks after the game.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Brian Moore wrote:Apparently the whole show is now available at Catch-Up.
Got all excited then. Tried it and still the same.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Nick Wainwright wrote:I finally got to see the game last night after all the problems with channel4.com/catchup
Nick, are you saying you actually managed to watch the whole show via Catch-Up, or did you watch the 4oD version or use some other method? Catch-Up still doesn't work for me after the first commercial break.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Nick Wainwright wrote:I finally got to see the game last night after all the problems with channel4.com/catchup
Catch-Up still doesn't work for me after the first commercial break.
Pooh. Have just rechecked from here, and it's still not working, you're right Phil. I'll have a grrr at C4 for lying to me. Sorry, I had foolishly assumed they had fixed it given what they said in their email to me. Green ink time.

EDIT - if you want to write to C4 about this, the email address is CatchUp-support@channel4.com
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Brian Moore wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Catch-Up still doesn't work for me after the first commercial break.
Pooh. Have just rechecked from here, and it's still not working, you're right Phil. I'll have a grrr at C4 for lying to me. Sorry, I had foolishly assumed they had fixed it given what they said in their email to me. Green ink time.

EDIT - if you want to write to C4 about this, the email address is CatchUp-support@channel4.com
I found the same after I received a long email from them telling me to adjust my clock(!!) and download loads of stuff, some of which wouldn't install.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

If you want you can download it from 4oD!

Alternatively download it from here which my mate has uploaded for me:

http://www.markmitchell.info/Countdown_170309.avi

Apparently if you only get sound and no video you'll need to download a codec here:

http://download.divxmovies.com/XviD-1.1.3-27042008.exe
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:If you want you can download it from 4oD!

Alternatively download it from here which my mate has uploaded for me:

http://www.markmitchell.info/Countdown_170309.avi

Apparently if you only get sound and no video you'll need to download a codec here:

http://download.divxmovies.com/XviD-1.1.3-27042008.exe
Would love to but 737MB is a bit steep for my connection- that must be one large resolution he's saved it as.