Spoilers for Mon 09/03/2009

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Mon 09/03/2009

Post by Ben Hunter »

Kirk Bevin plays Cuntdown.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Mon 09/03/2009

Post by Innis Carson »

Is that Ann Abel in a wig? Nice try.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Anyone know if Colin Murray will be in next week's episodes as well?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Innis Carson wrote:Is that Ann Abel in a wig? Nice try.
No, that's Kirk.
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

yes i believe murray does next week as well
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

SANCTION?

EDIT: I should really wait next time
Last edited by Innis Carson on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

I BEAT KIRK
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Jeff beats Kirk. Countmax suggests SANTONICA.
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

bit of an open goal for kirk by the looks of things, she really should be getting those numbers
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

Yes I Know it must be daunting coming up against a great player like Kirk- but where do they get these contestants from? How could she miss 794? A 5 year old could get it!
While I'm in a griping mood- another DC person I've NEVER heard of, and why can't they take the awful Deal Or No Deal off for the Cheltenham Festival, and leave our Countdown Alone? :(
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

How about TUSSLING?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

DEMERARA 8-)
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:DEMERARA 8-)
My housemate got that too, which was a surprise because he hates Countdown.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:DEMERARA 8-)
I had it too :D
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

I also had TUSSLING and DEMERARA.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

I didn't think Tousling was risky- pleased I beat Kirk on that one!!
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Shitty letters are shitty.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ben Hunter wrote:Shitty letters are shitty.
Sorry Kai. Well observed, though.
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

There should be no need to swear on this forum- children might be browsing, is it really neccessary?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I was in the audience for this one and Susie had to reshoot the definition of ARIOSO quite a few times as she kept mispronouncing recitative.

At this stage with 705 points out of 6 games, Kirk can get in the 900 club by just notching up 2 centuries. If he continues at his current average he'll hit 940 which would be awesome.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

AnnieHall wrote:There should be no need to swear on this forum- children might be browsing, is it really neccessary?
Fuck yes
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
AnnieHall wrote:There should be no need to swear on this forum- children might be browsing, is it really neccessary?
Fuck yes
:roll:

Some people just don't like some people in this some people's world.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

unboard - as in 'you unboard the door and I'll smash the window' - but not in dictionary I think

and wife got plashier which I think is v. good.

- and it is sickening to come second to bloody racing
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

We should have a poll on here to see how many members like the swearing and how many would rather it wasn't allowed.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

AnnieHall wrote:We should have a poll on here to see how many members like the swearing and how many would rather it wasn't allowed.
For the words f*ck, c*nt and sh*t I always remove the vowels, unless I really want to express myself (see cricket in Pakistan, I'm to lazy to put a link) but otherwise, how do we expect children to learn swear words if they don't get exposed to them? I'm serious though, obviously if/when I have kids I won't want them to swear at adults, but if they swear at each other that's fine by me.

I'm aware that's quite off-topic.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I'm sure Kai hears more swear words in the playground at school than on this forum.
Tracey Lilly
Rookie

Post by Tracey Lilly »

I want to watch today's episode on Catchup but it hasn't been updated yet.
Does any one know how soon it will be available please?
Thanks
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

If I'm working this out right, Kirk's on 91.4% of max score so far for his run. Not far off getting yet another record.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Innis Carson wrote:If I'm working this out right, Kirk's on 91.4% of max score so far for his run. Not far off getting yet another record.
Also a lot of those dropped points come from missing ridiculous stuff like SANTONICA. As Gevin said, his total number of maxes is probably a record in itself.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

BOURDON, round 1. Trust a church organist :)
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:At this stage with 705 points out of 6 games, Kirk can get in the 900 club by just notching up 2 centuries. If he continues at his current average he'll hit 940 which would be awesome.
If Kirk smashes the record, as seems likely, he should really be in the newspapers. Kirk, you could be the next Gail Trimble!
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Rich Priest wrote:Trust a church organist
Does Phil Hammond know you go around saying that?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Man, 4oD or catch up still haven't uploaded so I can't watch it. Does anybody know what happens?
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:
Rich Priest wrote:Trust a church organist
Does Phil Hammond know you go around saying that?
I don't think he does (but then I don't, generally).
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Man, 4oD or catch up still haven't uploaded so I can't watch it. Does anybody know what happens?
Probably the person responsible for uploading the programme onto 4oD and Catchup saw the response the champion gave for round 3, then looked up the word and it reminded him of something more interesting to do.

If all else fails, you can always watch it in the early hours of Thursday morning, at 5:15 (or 6:15 on C4+1).
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

AnnieHall wrote:We should have a poll on here to see how many members like the swearing and how many would rather it wasn't allowed.
It is not something one likes or dislikes, it is just there. What is a swear word? Gadzooks! Testicles, sex and faeces!
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Countdown got one or two (hundred) mentions on Colin Murray's show last night.

I didn't realise that the guest was given the choice to eschew the earpiece. He said that he did this and he asked Susie not to show him the dictionary corner offerings until about 25 seconds into the round so that he could play along. He was very proud of 'quango' which he was claiming as his.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Innis Carson wrote:If I'm working this out right, Kirk's on 91.4% of max score so far for his run. Not far off getting yet another record.
Also a lot of those dropped points come from missing ridiculous stuff like SANTONICA. As Gevin said, his total number of maxes is probably a record in itself.

I'd have expected people who study to have gotten that, not any more ridiculous than other stuff he's declared. It shouldn't be one where you get stuck looking for 8s either.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I agree, it's too high probability looking to be considered ridiculous.

Was ONBOARD there in rd 1 too?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Craig Beevers wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:

I'd have expected people who study to have gotten that, not any more ridiculous than other stuff he's declared. It shouldn't be one where you get stuck looking for 8s either.
To be fair it was the first recording of a new session, I've seen much worse gaffes from good players under similar circumstances.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Craig Beevers wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
On the face of it, SANTONICA is not ridiculous, but Kirk's primary study source has been Apterous and oddly it's never come out in over 300,000 letters rounds, even goatdown games or as a conundrum. Compare that with many showings for DOGMATISE. Kirk told me he learnt UNCREATES from Paul Howe's game here for a converse example.

I have done quite a lot of work with Kirk filling in the gaps (mostly on 8s), but a word which by my calculations is the 5289th most common nine, obviously can slip through the net.

I'm with Ben otherwise, in that missing easy stuff like CONTAINS can probably be attributed to first early morning game syndrome.
Paul Hammond
Rookie

Post by Paul Hammond »

This calls for some statistical analysis of first-game-of-the-day performance by octochamps ;) . I think I'd be flagging after 6 games regardless of where the overnight break fell. I need a little lie down after a couple of competitive games on Apterous. Five real-life games in one day must take some mental stamina.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Paul Hammond wrote:This calls for some statistical analysis of first-game-of-the-day performance by octochamps ;) . I think I'd be flagging after 6 games regardless of where the overnight break fell. I need a little lie down after a couple of competitive games on Apterous. Five real-life games in one day must take some mental stamina.
It's funny you should say that actually. My aunt's boyfriend told me that one of his supervisors or teachers at university (he was a mature student) got to a series final of Countdown some years ago. He told him that by the time he had got to the final he was mentally exhausted and, as a result, played poorly and lost. I don't know if it's an age or preparedness thing, or perhaps something else entirely, but I know Kirk's able to play tons of games without really letting up. I know he can struggle under tiredness though, when I've beaten him with some nice but not overly obscure words like INTARSIA late at night.

I stupidly forgot to ask about the name of that beaten finalist though. I'll try to remember next time I go over to my aunt's.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Craig Beevers wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:

Maybe having found ONONIST, his mind wandered. :lol:
Tracey Lilly
Rookie

Post by Tracey Lilly »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Man, 4oD or catch up still haven't uploaded so I can't watch it. Does anybody know what happens?
It's on Catchup this morning.
They seem to have been a bit slow uploading as previously I have played on Catchup an hour after it was aired.

Well done Kirk on another impressive win.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Finally watched it after 4oD taking ages. Was a bit shocked by the challenger - she wouldn't have scored against me until round 7, but obviously it's a pretty unenviable position (so don't all jump in with "omg you meanie it's really hard ont he show etc. etc."). Was quite surprised she managed to get to 800 in the first numbers but not get 794.

Good game again Kirk, was pretty impressed with HARELIPS, and we're definitely being won around to the 'declaring obscure words makes it more interesting' - neither of us had heard of ARIOSO, and we've both spent more time than we should've done doing music when we were growing up.

Also, boo racing.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Ben Wilson wrote:To be fair it was the first recording of a new session, I've seen much worse gaffes from good players under similar circumstances.
Funnily enough, my 6th game was recorded nearly two weeks after the 5th, and I was 33-0 after 3 rounds of the new session. Does this mean I'm not a good player then? :( Things went downhill after that anyway, so maybe it was some kind of 'delayed first game syndrome.'
From this stage, I'd be surprised if Kirk doesn't break the 940 barrier. Which would be a fairly good achievement, I think...
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Neil Zussman wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:To be fair it was the first recording of a new session, I've seen much worse gaffes from good players under similar circumstances.
Funnily enough, my 6th game was recorded nearly two weeks after the 5th, and I was 33-0 after 3 rounds of the new session. Does this mean I'm not a good player then? :( Things went downhill after that anyway, so maybe it was some kind of 'delayed first game syndrome.'
From this stage, I'd be surprised if Kirk doesn't break the 940 barrier. Which would be a fairly good achievement, I think...
Eh, it can vary. Having a delay between your 5th and 6th shows might have helped, or you might just be a weirdo, I dunno.