Poll: Will Kirk score at least 900 point?

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Will Kirk score at least 900 point?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:13 pm

Yes
88%
No
13%

Total votes: 40

Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Poll: Will Kirk score at least 900 point?

Post by Martin Gardner »

Self-explanatory.

Edit: OK as an Octochamp, if he becomes one.
Last edited by Martin Gardner on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Re: Poll: Will Kirk score at least 900 point?

Post by Gary Male »

Over how many games? During Octochamp run? In the whole series? In one game? WE NEED AN EXPLANATION!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Maybe a better poll would be "Will Martin Gardner post at least 900 topics with spoilers in the title"? Only 899 to go!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Gary Male wrote:Over how many games? During Octochamp run? In the whole series? In one game? WE NEED AN EXPLANATION!
I would assume it meant his Octochamp run. I think it's possible but you never know.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Yeah I reckon he will, what is the current record?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jojo Apollo wrote:Yeah I reckon he will, what is the current record?
http://www.apterous.org/cdb/octochamps.php
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

If I'm not mistaken, a 900 point was a weird screw fitting I remember vaguely from woodwork at school.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:Maybe a better poll would be "Will Martin Gardner post at least 900 topics with spoilers in the title"? Only 899 to go!
Don't tell me I posted a spoiler on the spoilers forum?
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Cheers Charlie, that 924 is a heck of a difficult target to beat. Will be interesting to see how close Kirk gets to it.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Maybe a better poll would be "Will Martin Gardner post at least 900 topics with spoilers in the title"? Only 899 to go!
You put it in the title, so that anyone who reads View Active Topics (i.e. anyone sensible) gets totally spoilered.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:
You put it in the title, so that anyone who reads View Active Topics (i.e. anyone sensible) gets totally spoilered.
Well, normally I complain about this sort of thing, but enough people have already hinted at it IMHO. Bit difficult to keep quiet about 'our Kirk' being on the show.
In particular, although I haven't clicked on the thread, the fact that Kai has already started a spoiler thread for Wednesday 11th March speaks volumes.
I wouldn't worry about it, Martin. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julie T wrote: Well, normally I complain about this sort of thing, but enough people have already hinted at it IMHO. Bit difficult to keep quiet about 'our Kirk' being on the show.
In particular, although I haven't clicked on the thread, the fact that Kai has already started a spoiler thread for Wednesday 11th March speaks volumes.
I think you're under the impression that I was complaining that Martin had mentioned that Kirk is on today, which is not a spoiler. But if you start a "will he make 900?" topic after the first episode is transmitted, it spoils that episode for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Julie T wrote: Well, normally I complain about this sort of thing, but enough people have already hinted at it IMHO. Bit difficult to keep quiet about 'our Kirk' being on the show.
I think you're under the impression that I was complaining that Martin had mentioned that Kirk is on today, which is not a spoiler. But if you start a "will he make 900?" topic after the first episode is transmitted, it spoils that episode for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
Hear hear. I watched it on C4+1, and foolishly came on here @ 4:15pm... BIG MISTAKE!
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Charlie Reams wrote:
I think all 8 games have been spoiled since Kirk got his recording date.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Charlie Reams wrote:
I thought you meant that if he's starting a poll like this, he's assuming that Kirk becomes an octochamp in the first place, just wondering what his total points will be.
Although I didn't think you were making a huge issue anyway, just pointing it out. 8-)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Oh I dunno, I think you have to click on the topic to see when it was posted, so people can't really assume that it was started after Kirk's game unless they click on it. Am I right? Probably not lol.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Martin Gardner wrote:Oh I dunno, I think you have to click on the topic to see when it was posted, so people can't really assume that it was started after Kirk's game unless they click on it. Am I right? Probably not lol.
Nope. I saw this thread start, saw that it was at 4.13pm, and drew the obvious conclusion. It made me :(
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

My prediction is 924 points :o

I hope he gets a shot at the 146, but fear the present shuffling method may conspire against him. I'm rooting for a perfect game though.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Paul Howe wrote:My prediction is 924 points :o

I hope he gets a shot at the 146, but fear the present shuffling method may conspire against him. I'm rooting for a perfect game though.
I think Paul's going to be quite close. The average max this series has been about 122, and even factoring in Kirk's good vowel/consonant picks at the goaty end of the picking, I can't see that being raised much. Given that he will inevitably miss a few things, I'll go for 914, but obviously I hope it's a lot higher.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Paul Howe wrote:
Has a perfect max game ever happened on the show? Would be fantastic either way, if Kirk did this. :) :)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Julie T wrote:Has a perfect max game ever happened on the show? Would be fantastic either way, if Kirk did this. :) :)
The mighty Beevers managed 120/121, but no max (yet...).
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Gary Male wrote:Over how many games? During Octochamp run? In the whole series? In one game? WE NEED AN EXPLANATION!
I would assume it meant his Octochamp run. I think it's possible but you never know.
bangs head against desk until blood and poo comes out
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gary Male wrote:bangs head against desk until blood and poo comes out
There's a distinct possibility you need to see a doctor.
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

Sorry kirk i voted no (because Ryan told me to). I am going for 875. Ryan still says you're a pro though :)
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Any chance you could add me to the list?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Keith Bevins wrote:Sorry kirk i voted no (because Ryan told me to). I am going for 875. Ryan still says you're a pro though :)
Wow, my dad and brother have no confidence in me. Thanks guys. ;)
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I've been indulging in some amateur statistography by compiling 4 game scores for some titans of the past (score for entire octo run in brackets)

Kirkules 480 (???) or maybe even (????)
Julian Fell 462 (924)
Craig Beevers 443 (907)
Conor Travers 423 (890)
David O'Donnell 416 (880)

Looking promising for Kirk so far, but the others all had a stronger second half than first, Julian rounding things off with a 138. Realistically you'd guess that Kirk's first half will be his strongest as he's had quite a few juicy 9s served up, so the others should come back a bit. Looking very good for the 900 though and I reckon my original prediction of 924 is still going to be pretty close.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Paul Howe wrote:I've been indulging in some amateur statistography by compiling 4 game scores for some titans of the past (score for entire octo run in brackets)

Kirkules 480 (???) or maybe even (????)
Julian Fell 462 (924)
Craig Beevers 443 (907)
Conor Travers 423 (890)
David O'Donnell 416 (880)

Looking promising for Kirk so far, but the others all had a stronger second half than first, Julian rounding things off with a 138. Realistically you'd guess that Kirk's first half will be his strongest as he's had quite a few juicy 9s served up, so the others should come back a bit. Looking very good for the 900 though and I reckon my original prediction of 924 is still going to be pretty close.
Interestingly, Stewart Holden had 430 points after 4 games. He also had 791 points after 7 games, which is more than Julian Fell, but in game 8 Fell got 138 and Holden got 79.
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

Can i change my mind? my 875 is approx 109 average which i thought about right after 2 games and now it seems a low total but can the 9's keep coming? I hope you prove me wrong kirk. In any case I am one very proud dad. (Eating humble pie but like i said before my hat is safe :D )
Scott Bagnall

Post by Scott Bagnall »

I'm going to make the assumption that he will.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Scott Bagnall wrote:I'm going to make the assumption that he will.
Oooh, he won't like that.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Win!!!!
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Paul couldn't have been much more spot-on. One point out.

With precognitive powers such as these, I can only conclude that he is a witch. Burn him!
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

JimBentley wrote:
Paul couldn't have been much more spot-on. One point out.

With precognitive powers such as these, I can only conclude that he is a witch. Burn him!
Am I alone in thinking this prediction was more impressive than the achivement itself? 8-)

I've always thought of witch burning as a horrible reminder of how easy it is to translate ignorance and fear into barbarism. But recent forum events have convinced me its an absolutely necessary practice, because if you chop em in half, you get two witches.
Keith Bevins
Rookie

Post by Keith Bevins »

Pass the humble pie. I should never have doubted him should I.
I did tell him I would eat my hat if he didn't become an octochamp though so i must have had some faith in him. (I don't like hats they get stuck in my throat)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Keith Bevins wrote:Pass the humble pie. I should never have doubted him should I.
I did tell him I would eat my hat if he didn't become an octochamp though so i must have had some faith in him. (I don't like hats they get stuck in my throat)
Yeah. Thanks to all those people that did have faith in me to break the 900 barrier.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Didn't know where to put this, so I just decided to plonk it here.

I've been doing some statistics for the current series and I have worked out that (shock horror!) Kirk had the highest percentage of raw max (ie. as if it was flat scoring) of anyone in this series, and that the Zussinator had the 3rd-highest. Anybody (who hasn't foed me) like to hazard a guess as to who is in at No. 2?*

*I would be grateful if you answered. Or at least tried to answer.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Didn't know where to put this, so I just decided to plonk it here.

I've been doing some statistics for the current series and I have worked out that (shock horror!) Kirk had the highest percentage of raw max (ie. as if it was flat scoring) of anyone in this series, and that the Zussinator had the 3rd-highest. Anybody (who hasn't foed me) like to hazard a guess as to who is in at No. 2?*

*I would be grateful if you answered. Or at least tried to answer.
So with flat scoring, if I declare 5 and my opponent gets a 6, I still get 5 points, right? Considering the fact that I already have 78.9%, and I failed to score in a heck of a lot of rounds (or at least it seems like it- even the guy who scored the lowest of all my opponents beat me in one round :oops: ), I'm a bit surprised, and disappointed to still only be third in this series. Are you sure you worked it out right Kai? ;)
Anyway, to answer the question: I don't reckon you'd be asking if it wasn't someone who was registered on this forum. So I'll guess at Kate Richardson. Amirite?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I'm probably completely wrong, but I'm going to go with Anita Fairhurst, partially on the grounds that she's the highest scoring loser to an octochamp.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Howard Somerset wrote:I'm probably completely wrong, but I'm going to go with Anita Fairhurst, partially on the grounds that she's the highest scoring loser to an octochamp.
Congratulations, Howard, go and buy yourself a VFSMB! :)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:I'm probably completely wrong, but I'm going to go with Anita Fairhurst, partially on the grounds that she's the highest scoring loser to an octochamp.
Congratulations, Howard, go and buy yourself a VFSMB! :)
Wish I knew what a VFSMB was. Just tried Googling it, and am none the wiser. :?:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Howard Somerset wrote: Wish I knew what a VFSMB was. Just tried Googling it, and am none the wiser. :?:
Virtual Fun Size Mars Bar, or a Very Fine Sexy Manchester Babe. Your choice.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote: Wish I knew what a VFSMB was. Just tried Googling it, and am none the wiser. :?:
I can only afford one of those, so the choice is simple. Thanks.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
I can only afford one of those, so the choice is simple. Thanks.
Just send me a pic of her and I'll be satisfied ;)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Howard Somerset wrote:Wish I knew what a VFSMB was. Just tried Googling it, and am none the wiser. :?:
Do pay attention at the back.

Kai is playing a bit fast and loose with the term, it must be said, since a VFSMB by definition cannot be bought. I'm not even sure if you can buy an FSMB, not one of them on its own, at least not from conventional retail outlets. You might have to settle for a plain old non-virtual full size MB.