Spoilers & Comments, Tuesday 24/02/2009

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Spoilers & Comments, Tuesday 24/02/2009

Post by Martin Gardner »

Before the show starts, I'd just like to say how much I'm enjoying it and how I think the show's improved - notably because Jeff talks to the contestants and gets them more involved than Des did, and secondly because I think Rachel is hot.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers & Comments, Tuesday 24/02/2009

Post by Matt Morrison »

Agreed on the Jeff point. He's perfect, and actually intelligent and understands the game too. I don't recall any other hosts ever offering a DC beater before (Jeff did recently with an 8 that I've forgotten) and he comes up with cracking words pretty regularly.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I agree, and Jeff is also the most attractive host there's been. :) ( :oops: )
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Funny, I was gonna bump one of the "new presenter" threads today to make this exact point. Both presenters are excellent and the show is better than it has ever been IMO. It also helps that we've had some fantastic games already this series, and that's before the arrival of the Kirkulator next week...
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Another "me too". I was only thinking this morning how very natural both presenters are. I'm in total agreement with earlier comments about how Jeff talks with the contestants, bringing in very appropriate comments about them during the programme, rather than just during the introductions.

And as for Rachel, there was one point this morning when I was trying to remember what Carol looked like. Rachel really has fitted into that role so well.
Mike Brailsford
Acolyte

Post by Mike Brailsford »

Jeff is still introducing himself at the start, so I wonder how long will it be before he will just say welcome and go in to the first piece of banterfodder.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

CEREBRA was in the previous selection I think. Easier to type than say.
Last edited by Craig Beevers on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

R3: I got the rather nice PERVIER for an equal 7
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

That's a bit annoying, why didn't he just choose six consonants and try and get an eight?
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Seriously impressive numbers game, I can get 784 (98 * 8).
Ray Folwell
Acolyte

Post by Ray Folwell »

I'm surprised neither contestant went for UPRIVER
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

LINKMEN (apparently).
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Can't think of any other Octochamp who's had some many good scores, despite so many close games! Well done again, very neat last numbers solution.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

TERATOID for round 7
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

Rachel managed to get that numbers game brilliantly, I must say I'm starting to say "Carol who?" now.
In agreement with above messages, I really like Rachel & Jeff. Jeff has a lovely smile and dresses very smartly (and he DOESN'T say "Okey-Dokey"!!!)
I hope they both stay for a long time.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Gardner wrote:Can't think of any other Octochamp who's had some many good scores, despite so many close games! Well done again, very neat last numbers solution.
Just caught this on +1 hour and I agree that that was a nice solution there by Neil for the last numbers.
Last edited by Joseph Bolas on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:Can't think of any other Octochamp who's had some many good scores, despite so many close games! Well done again, very neat last numbers solution.
Just caught this on +1 hour and I agree that that was a nice solution there by Neil for the last numbers. Well done on becoming an Octochamp and the best of luck for the finals later on this year Neil :).
Spoiler!!!!! Anyway, he has only won 7 Joseph. His 8th appearance is tomorrow.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Spoiler!!!!! Anyway, he has only won 7 Joseph. His 8th appearance is tomorrow.
I misread Martin's post. My bad :oops:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:TERATOID for round 7
It's not in. Where are you coming up with these gems from?
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Eoin Monaghan wrote:TERATOID for round 7
It's not in. Where are you coming up with these gems from?
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adam.bozon ... solver.htm

It might be American - I'm not sure.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Oh right, Eoin. I assume when people post in the spoiler thread it's because they got it themselves. This is the place where satisfied people go who get DC-beaters. Anyone could use a solver.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Oh right, Eoin. I assume when people post in the spoiler thread it's because they got it themselves. This is the place where satisfied people go who get DC-beaters. Anyone could use a solver.

:? Sorry Kirk :(
Oh BTW that is the first time I have ever used an anagram solver for Countdown or apterous.
And the last time I will ever use one.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Can I just comment on a few observations, the zooming in factor, you don't see the letters fully close up till around the 4th letter (some of our old eyes aren't what they used to be :oops: ). Also you can nearly always see the last number Rachel puts up, before she actually puts it up, because of the way she holds the number cards, no real advantage I suppose but it sort of prepares you eg. if you see 75, you get your head into the 75 times table mentality several seconds before the clock is started.

ps. well done again Neil, hopefully you will be an Octochamp tomorrow.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Another good game and congratulations Neil. Rick put up a good fight, but he was up against a real 'goodie' in Neil. By the way, what does JOSHED mean? I can't find it in my little dictionary and my new OED from Amazon hasn't arrived yet. I also got ELUDING, but wasn't sure if it needed the other 'E'. I got WIRELESS too.
Dominic Colley

Post by Dominic Colley »

Well played Neil! Wireless was a great spot. As was the 87 times table!

For the JOSHED round, I got BOSHED, but the more I look at the more it seems like slang? Can anyone clear that up?
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

FTR, I totally agree with the comments about Jeff. Obviously I didn't appear on the show under any other host, but just from watching it on TV it seems like there's a lot more contestant-host banter.

My worst start to a match in 7 attempts, not helped by round 3. This match was filmed before I'd had a chance to read this post http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 889#p26889 which is a bit unfortunate. Though I didn't have another 7 anyway, so I'd still have lost the round...
Dominic Colley wrote:Well played Neil! Wireless was a great spot. As was the 87 times table!
Thanks! I was annoyed with myself for not getting the first numbers game right (always factorise first!!) so it stuck in my mind. :)
Martin Gardner wrote:That's a bit annoying, why didn't he just choose six consonants and try and get an eight?
Which round are you referring to?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Dominic Colley wrote:Well played Neil! Wireless was a great spot. As was the 87 times table!

For the JOSHED round, I got BOSHED, but the more I look at the more it seems like slang? Can anyone clear that up?
Slang is very much included in the dictionary, but not in this particular case I'm afraid.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Neil Zussman wrote:
Thanks! I was annoyed with myself for not getting the first numbers game right (always factorise first!!) so it stuck in my mind. :)
Martin Gardner wrote:That's a bit annoying, why didn't he just choose six consonants and try and get an eight?
Which round are you referring to?
Not you, your opponent. When the Q came up he went for five vowels to get the U, when I'd prefer to go for some consonants, ignore the Q, and most likely get at least a seven given the good quality of the letters before the Q.

For the numbers, yeah, I usually add up the digits to see if they make nine, and this time I didn't! In fact Rachel's 783 is probably as simple or simpler than my way of getting one away.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Yeah I know he's only won seven, I'm just "assuming" the 8th one. Knowing him, he'll probably be 40-0 after five rounds, and win 99-98. :mrgreen:
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kathleen Batlle wrote:By the way, what does JOSHED mean? I can't find it in my little dictionary and my new OED from Amazon hasn't arrived yet.
See here.
David Gunn
Rookie

Post by David Gunn »

Loved Neil's "I've been practising my 87times table" comment, so he should have found this for the second numbers round:
75+9+3=87, 87x2=174, 174+3=177 :)
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Kathleen Batlle wrote:By the way, what does JOSHED mean? I can't find it in my little dictionary and my new OED from Amazon hasn't arrived yet.
See here.
Thanks Phil. I've bookmarked that website as I think it could come in handy (especially if my OED fails to arrive!)
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Exciting game, a bit scary for Neil up to round 5. Rick was a great player, as many of Neil's opponents have been.
One more win and he'll be an octochamp and fairly definitely in the finals. :)

Great quip from Neil after round 14 about learning his 87 times tables after Rachel's solution for round 5! :lol:

I always seem to forget the 'digits added up divisible by 9 means the whole number is divisible by 9' rule.
I made myself find 87 in round 5 afterwards (different to Rachel), writing it down, and I hope it'll stick in my mind now.

I did:

5 + 4 + 2 = 11
11 x 8 = 88
88 -1 = 87
87 x 9 = 783

After Rachel's method, though, as I said.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Julie T wrote:I did:

5 + 4 + 2 = 11
11 x 8 = 88
88 -1 = 87
87 x 9 = 783

I went for that method too, but well within the time. Got the conundrum, and in a shorter time than Rick. As a result, beat both contestants in this game - a rare occurrence.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Julie T wrote:I did:

5 + 4 + 2 = 11
11 x 8 = 88
88 -1 = 87
87 x 9 = 783

I went for that method too, but well within the time. Got the conundrum, and in a shorter time than Rick. As a result, beat both contestants in this game - a rare occurrence.
Great stuff, Howard! :)
Did you enjoy your family half term holiday BTW? Skiiing wasn't it?

I must remember 'digits added up divisible by 9 means the whole number is divisible by 9'
I must remember 'digits added up divisible by 9 means the whole number is divisible by 9'
..... :lol:
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Julie T wrote:I must remember 'digits added up divisible by 9 means the whole number is divisible by 9'
Also, a number is divisible by 3 if the sum of its digits is divisible by 3, and obviously by 6 if the sum of its digits is divisible by 3 and it's even.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Howard Somerset wrote:Got the conundrum, and in a shorter time than Rick. As a result, beat both contestants in this game - a rare occurrence.
I got 'Laterally' straight away for the conundrum, but then decided to pursue a totally different path :oops: Fortunately, it wasn't crucial... Rick told me that he had been practising conundrums on the hand-held game a few days earlier and Literally had come up. So he actually got Literally straight away, but couldn't believe that would be the answer! Well done for beating us though anyway.
david dawson
Rookie

Post by david dawson »

Matt Morrison wrote:Agreed on the Jeff point. He's perfect, and actually intelligent and understands the game too. I don't recall any other hosts ever offering a DC beater before (Jeff did recently with an 8 that I've forgotten) and he comes up with cracking words pretty regularly.
Fucking bastard poofter melon arse. :mrgreen:
Andy Clews

Post by Andy Clews »

Howard Somerset wrote:Another "me too". I was only thinking this morning how very natural both presenters are. I'm in total agreement with earlier comments about how Jeff talks with the contestants, bringing in very appropriate comments about them during the programme, rather than just during the introductions.
And another "me too". I'm also glad that Jeff has a good stock of different phrases to start the time timer, rather than Des's "here's the clock" or "one more clock" which really started to irritate me for reasons I can't explain rationally.
And as for Rachel, there was one point this morning when I was trying to remember what Carol looked like. Rachel really has fitted into that role so well.
I'm glad she is starting to get the numbers that contestants don't. I'm sure nerves were restricting her at first. She is indeed settling in. Still needs to lose those tall shoes though ;)