Spoilers for Tuesday 22nd January 2008

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Spoilers for Tuesday 22nd January 2008

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Did DECANTERS really come out backwards, I wasn't paying attention.

Joseph.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday 22nd January 2008

Post by Craig Beevers »

Yep it did.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Yes. And I started thinking about permutations and the odds of it happening, when I realized I've wondered the same thing. Making me think it's happened before.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

metalized_deionizer wrote:Yes. And I started thinking about permutations and the odds of it happening, when I realized I've wondered the same thing. Making me think it's happened before.
What are the actual odds of that happening? How would you work that out exactly?
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

JBolas wrote:
metalized_deionizer wrote:Yes. And I started thinking about permutations and the odds of it happening, when I realized I've wondered the same thing. Making me think it's happened before.
What are the actual odds of that happening? How would you work that out exactly?
I'll set the problem. Given the letters have been selected, find the probability the words DECANTERS is spelt backwards.
There is only one solution SRETNACED, out of 9!/2! (9 letters, but there are 2 Es) = 1/181440.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

It gets more complicated when you try to work out the odds of the word SRETNACED coming out in that order on the show because you have to factor in the tile distributions.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Janowsky wrote:It gets more complicated when you try to work out the odds of the word SRETNACED coming out in that order on the show because you have to factor in the tile distributions.
Also, many contestants choose their letters in blocks of vowels and consonants, making it unlikely that anything sensible is going to emerge.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Conor wrote:
JBolas wrote:
I'll set the problem. Given the letters have been selected, find the probability the words DECANTERS is spelt backwards.
There is only one solution SRETNACED, out of 9!/2! (9 letters, but there are 2 Es) = 1/181440.
Blimey Conor, how old are you again?! *bows down"
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

juj wrote: Blimey Conor, how old are you again?! *bows down"
16. But it's not a very difficult problem once you've simplified it to that, it's just some arrangements maths.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I agree that it's not that hard but in fairness, an equivalent problem recently proved too difficult for K. Bevins BSc Maths (Hons).
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Hmm well it's impressive to me, I may once have known stuff like this when I was doing A-level maths - just for the short while I needed to know it so as to pass the exam - but I've certainly forgotten every last iota of it now...
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:I agree that it's not that hard but in fairness, an equivalent problem recently proved too difficult for K. Bevins BSc Maths (Hons).
Indeed this problem proved too complicated for me. I have no understanding of arrangements or combinations. I know how to calculate factorials and know how to calculate something such as 7C2 but giving me a wordy problem and asking how many different arrangements, I wouldn't know where to start. Nobody has been able to explain it to me - which really p***es me off.