Spoilers for Friday 30th January (CofC XIII GF)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Friday 30th January (CofC XIII GF)

Post by Ben Hunter »

It's Steven Briers versus Charlie Reams playing for the honour of becoming the 13th and therefore the most unlucky Champion of Champions.

Will the contest go as Briers desires, or as Reams dreams?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers for Friday 30th January (CofC XIII GF)

Post by Kai Laddiman »

13 is my lucky Countdown number, so I would be the only person worthy of winning it (ie. that wouldn't drop dead a few days later). :(
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kai Laddiman wrote:13 is my lucky Countdown number, so I would be the only person worthy of winning it (ie. that wouldn't drop dead a few days later). :(
I've seen Charlie and Briers posting today, so I think we can safely assume that they haven't been struck by lightning.... yet.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:13 is my lucky Countdown number, so I would be the only person worthy of winning it (ie. that wouldn't drop dead a few days later). :(
I've seen Charlie and Briers posting today, so I think we can safely assume that they haven't been struck by lightning.... yet.
It only occurs after the programme has been shown, 13 Days Later...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
It only occurs after the programme has been shown, 13 Days Later...
You're going to feel terrible now if something does happen to the winner!
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

prediction: Briers 106-87 Reams
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Is PELOTON OK for R1?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Is PELOTON OK for R1?
Fine but you could have stuck an S on for PELOTONS.
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

MINNEOLA for 8 just before the first numbers! :D

TUQUES is OK in round 13, but it's a Scrabbley word so I wasn't sure about it, but now I've checked.
Last edited by Chris Davies on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Could do but there was no S.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Could do but there was no S.
Haha. I'm such a dick. Thought we were still in the Series 60 Grand Final thread! (missed first 15 minutes so didn't see the letters in question)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

If you didn't try to do anything clever with the second numbers, you could get one away:

(10+6)x50 +25 + 6 = 831
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Good work Phil. I haven't got any closer.
Surprised by lack of action in this thread - thought there'd be a bit of a buzz.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

VMRNIAA... childishly hoping for a G... BH
Ray Folwell
Acolyte

Post by Ray Folwell »

Phil Reynolds wrote:If you didn't try to do anything clever with the second numbers, you could get one away:

(10+6)x50 +25 + 6 = 831
Which is as close as you casn get
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Amazingness from Charlie on the conundrum which left DO'D with a fatally wounded lip. Legendary.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Haha... great shout from Charlie at the end with GANDISEEG!
Another wicked game, shame it couldn't be a crucial conundrum, but a quality way to finish a quality CoC.

Congrats Steve and unlucky Charlie. Lovely smile from Steve at the end.
I'm fairly sure CoC deserves some kind of trophy though.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Well played both guys, and indeed all 16 cocers. Commiserations to Charlie and congrats to Steve! :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'm really looking forward to Charlie making the private CoC thread public (assuming he intends to) and having a good long read from Day 1.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Well, what can you say apart from congratulations to Steven and commiserations to Charlie? I think it was perhaps predictable that today's game might come as a slight anticlimax after yesterday's - not that the players didn't do their best, but there didn't seem to be the same atmosphere in the studio.

I'm sure Steven would be the first to admit that perhaps he should have been denied the points in the last numbers round, as he'd clearly miscalculated and just happened to alight on the target at an earlier stage in his working by accident. Ultimately, though, it made no difference to the final result. Well done both of you.

Next week's games are going to seem rather tame.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

No commiserations necessary, Steve played really well despite the low scores and I was happy just to get there and lose to a really great player. He had a phenomenally tough route to the final and absolutely deserved the top spot. Contrary to his slightly nervous on-screen presence, he's a pretty easy guy to talk to and we had a lot of nice chat during the breaks. Incidentally I believe this makes me the first player since Allan Saldanha to lose two finals, which is something of a claim to fame in itself.

Also, it appears they completely cut out Paul Zenon's final magic trick, which had to be re-filmed after the end, about 20 times, while Steve and I sat there squirming to get to the bar. It was a pretty lame trick TBH so good call whoever that was.
tonywarren
Rookie

Re: Spoilers for Friday 30th January (CofC XIII GF

Post by tonywarren »

should we start a petition to have GANDISEED included in the dictionary? definition: A word expressing the acceptance of an inevitable defeat whilst maintaining the feeling of triumph from "being there"
Well done Charlie for accepting defeat with class. As did all the other contestants. Fun, wasn't it!
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Congratulations Steve on a victory your performances deserved, and hard luck to Charlie, but you'll always have the glory of the superb performance that got you to the final.

And congratulations to all the participants both for the high standard, and for the spirit and warmth in which the whole tournament was played. It really came through on screen and made the whole thing a pleasure to watch.

GANDISEEG :D
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

tonywarren wrote:should we start a petition to have GANDISEED included in the dictionary?
GANDISEEG :x
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Absolutely, mille commiserations (and bloody great congrats for being there in the first place) to Charlie. Not bad for a "mediocre" player. ;o)

PS The GANDISEEG quote was flippin' hilarious. V. impressive to produce humour like that at such a tense moment.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Very well played guys. You were both incredible throughout the tournament, each turning in unbelievable performances to knock out the 2 tourny favourites. I was rooting for Charlie but make no mistake, Steve is a more than worthy winner. Such a nice guy on and off the screen. I sensed a real determination from him when I first met him and he displayed real class in his 4 games. Incredibly modest in victory, too. I'm running out of superlatives for Charlie, but the GANDISEEG moment does well to sum him up...gracious as always and the perfect touch to end a fantastic championship.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Yeah GANDISEED was hilarious... I did get that conundrum (you've probably guessed that). Oublier is the French for 'to forget' although I don't know what an OUBLIETTE is, maybe a 'small bout of forgetfulness' or something similar. On a similar note, ESTOILE is the Old French for star - étoile in modern French - from the Latin stella, which is from the first declension.

Well played both players, I think you both looked really nervous and there wasn't as much banter today as they days before. I should probably point out that my overall tip to win the tournament did win it. And I can't get any of those numbers game, and I've done about 5 minutes on each of them; I can get one away for all 3.

Edit: the English Wiktionary gives "[a] dungeon only accessible by a trapdoor at the top". So presumably they put you in there, then they forget about you.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Martin Gardner wrote:Yeah GANDISEED was hilarious...
GANDISEEG :x
jeff wharton
Rookie

Post by jeff wharton »

Congratulations to Steve on your victory.I was surprised you didn,t get some kind of award.You deserved something for your efforts.Hard luck Charlie.I thought there was some tough selections today after yesterdays classic.
Was there any editing at the end when Jeff mentioned this site? It looked to me as though you were going to plug it again but it went back to Jeff rather quickly.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

That was a brilliant final to watch. Well done to both Steve and Charlie for getting to the final.

Well done to Steve for winning and commiserations to Charlie.

The recap should be up in a little while :)
Katherine Birkett
Rookie

Post by Katherine Birkett »

Letters 1 – LOOT

Letters 2 – COUPE

Letters 3 – DAUB (same as Jeff)

Letters 4 – MORAINE

Numbers 1 – Brain Slammed brakes on

Tea Time Teaser 1 – got REMARKED

Letters 5 – CREATE

Letters 6 – TOASTIER

Letters 7 – RESPIRE

Letters 8 – DOZENS

Numbers 2 – Brain holding strike

Tea Time Teaser 2 – got PREDATOR and TEARDROP

Letters 9 – ETOILES (Pardon my French!)

Letters 10 – BARMAN

Letters 11 – TAUPE

Numbers 3 – 863

Conundrum – French ability obviously in decline since passing A Level in 1996!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Martin Gardner wrote:Yeah GANDISEED was hilarious... I did get that conundrum (you've probably guessed that). Oublier is the French for 'to forget' although I don't know what an OUBLIETTE is, maybe a 'small bout of forgetfulness' or something similar. On a similar note, ESTOILE is the Old French for star - étoile in modern French - from the Latin stella, which is from the first declension.

Well played both players, I think you both looked really nervous and there wasn't as much banter today as they days before. I should probably point out that my overall tip to win the tournament did win it. And I can't get any of those numbers game, and I've done about 5 minutes on each of them; I can get one away for all 3.

Edit: the English Wiktionary gives "[a] dungeon only accessible by a trapdoor at the top". So presumably they put you in there, then they forget about you.
AN OUBLIETTE is a prison that's basically a hole with a lid where prisoners are forgotten about.

I got that, and I got the last numbers too. So there. /smug mode
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Well done Steve, thoroughly well deserved victory having seen off some phenomenal opposition along the way.

I won't commiserate Charlie as he says it's not necessary :)

Very good run to the final though Charlie, and you can look back on some tremendous performances to get there.Lovely touch with GANDISEEG as well :lol:
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Do we have any fluent Ronglish speakers here?

I always thought that a lollypop was more general trickery (from the rhyming slang: lollypop stick = trick), like stepovers or feints rather than something akin to a nutmeg.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Katherine Birkett wrote:Letters 1 – LOOT
etc
Seriously, I have no idea why you post these.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Good stuff - the conundrum was pretty epic (seemed a bit weird not having any sort of presentation at the end, kinda anti-climactic, but I've no idea if they normally bother with that for CoCs anyway).

Felt a bit sorry for Rachel today - after looking up solutions for the numbers (was surprised neither player got 831 as outlined above - my first thought was 52*16) they look like pretty hard ones.

edit: I now remember what I meant to comment on here - Steve's working for the final numbers appeared to be wrong, but he hit what he declared anyway. Obviously it didn't make any difference, and I'm not saying he was at all underhand (for one he may have just made the mistake when explaining his solution rather than on paper), but it occurred to me what would happen if someone declared, but their workings were wrong, but hit the target anyway, in a situation where it might matter. Although now I try and think of such a situation, I fail (other than it being a crucial conundrum or not scenario - but now I think about it you're only assessed on what's written down if it's the same as your opponent, which it can't be if you've made a mistake, so just ignore me).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Lucy Gowers wrote:I always thought that a lollypop was more general trickery (from the rhyming slang: lollypop stick = trick), like stepovers or feints rather than something akin to a nutmeg.
I'm with you on that Lucy. I don't know where the name comes from (though your explanation makes sense) but yes, I was under the impression it was stepovers rather than a nutmeg.

By the way, is it lollipop or lollypop? I'm NOT trying to correct your spelling - both are probably valid - just wondering as it's killing me looking at it! I vote for 'lollipop', but I don't know why.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Katherine Birkett wrote:Letters 1 – LOOT
etc
Seriously, I have no idea why you post these.
I live out my mean side by proxy through Charlie. It feels great!
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Lucy Gowers wrote:Do we have any fluent Ronglish speakers here?

I always thought that a lollypop was more general trickery (from the rhyming slang: lollypop stick = trick), like stepovers or feints rather than something akin to a nutmeg.
I remember the match where Ron used the word 'lollypop'. He was saying when some player was doing several stepovers. I distinctly remember him saying "one lollypop, two lollypop".
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Re: Charlie's comment, Kenneth Michie was the runner-up of Series 31 then the CofC VIII against David Acton and Chris Rogers respectively. His first appearance was quite a long time after Saldanha's, but admitted when Saldanha lost to Harvey Freeman, that was more recent than Michie vs. Rogers. So I think you can argue it either way.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Steven Tew
Rookie

Post by Steven Tew »

I got oubliette!

Great game Charlie and Steven, really high standard throughout the CofC.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Thanks to Steve and Charlie for a great Final and to all the other competitors for an outstanding CoC series.

Congratulations to Steve for winning and being the most consistent player in the Tournament.

And well done to Charlie for winning some great matches against tough opposition and just missing out in the Final.

Regular CD just won't seem the same for a while!

Thanks again guys.

Al.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Allan Harmer wrote:Congratulations to Steve for being the most consistent player in the Tournament
:x My scores ranged from 91 to 93. Doesn't that make me the most consistent player? :)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

What an excellent CofC. I'd thought earlier that the standard of CofC12 could not be equalled. But I was wrong. These last three weeks have been brilliant. Congratulations to all contestants.
Vikash Shah
Rookie

Post by Vikash Shah »

Charlie Reams wrote:Contrary to his slightly nervous on-screen presence, he's a pretty easy guy to talk to and we had a lot of nice chat during the breaks.
I assumed you didn't like him as there was no hug.
Vikash Shah
Rookie

Post by Vikash Shah »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Allan Harmer wrote:Congratulations to Steve for being the most consistent player in the Tournament
:x My scores ranged from 91 to 93. Doesn't that make me the most consistent player? :)
Cheeky bugger :lol:
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Kai Laddiman wrote:

79 to 80 ;)
Tracey Lilly
Rookie

Post by Tracey Lilly »

Well done Steve and Charlie for an excellent game.
Pity there wasn't a presentation of some description.
Poor Rachel - what stinky numbers and I bet Carol devotees were shouting at the camera ' Bet Carol would have got it'
Will be relieved to get back to normal next week and have a chance to play against some less talented players.
I so love Countdown!
Harry Whitehouse
Rookie

Post by Harry Whitehouse »

Vikash Shah wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Contrary to his slightly nervous on-screen presence, he's a pretty easy guy to talk to and we had a lot of nice chat during the breaks.
I assumed you didn't like him as there was no hug.
...or grope.
My home is on the south side,
High up on a ridge,
Just a half a mile from
The Scarborough Valley bridge.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Tracey Lilly wrote:Poor Rachel - what stinky numbers and I bet Carol devotees were shouting at the camera ' Bet Carol would have got it'
I don't think so. The first and third numbers were solveable but only had 1 solution each and the second numbers you could get only 1 away, again though there was only 1 solution. They were very hard.
Harry Whitehouse
Rookie

Post by Harry Whitehouse »

Thanks to both players for rounding off a brilliant CofC tournament that has emphasised all of the best elements of Countdown - not the least of which is sportsmanship. Absolutely superb.

Having overwhelmed myself by finding two 8s that eluded both the contestants and DC in the final (I needed a stiff drink and a rerun of the tape to confirm it), it's even inspired me to (maybe) submit myself for humiliation by applying. But probably not. :roll:
My home is on the south side,
High up on a ridge,
Just a half a mile from
The Scarborough Valley bridge.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Tracey Lilly wrote:Poor Rachel - what stinky numbers and I bet Carol devotees were shouting at the camera ' Bet Carol would have got it'
I don't think so. The first and third numbers were solveable but only had 1 solution each and the second numbers you could get only 1 away, again though there was only 1 solution. They were very hard.
Yeah there have been zero numbers beaters posted here, but two letters games beaters. I tried about 5 minutes on each of them after the game finished, and got one away for all three, but nothing better.
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Ben Hunter wrote:
I remember the match where Ron used the word 'lollypop'. He was saying when some player was doing several stepovers. I distinctly remember him saying "one lollypop, two lollypop".
Cheers Ben. Thought so. I liked his 'eyebrows' for a glancing header too.
Matt Morrison wrote:
By the way, is it lollipop or lollypop? I'm NOT trying to correct your spelling - both are probably valid - just wondering as it's killing me looking at it! I vote for 'lollipop', but I don't know why.
Think you're right Matt. I did some work for a company called 'Lollypop' a few months ago and I've obviously drilled myself into spelling it like that because I had to write its name so often. I guess it's an easy 'mistake' for people to make given that we have 'lolly'.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Can anyone confirm if the early morning repeats of Countdown are shown two-and-a-half days after the original afternoon broadcast?

If so, will the programme scheduled for 5:10am on Monday 2 February be a re-run of Friday's final?

TIA
Jeff
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Jeff Clayton wrote:Can anyone confirm if the early morning repeats of Countdown are shown two-and-a-half days after the original afternoon broadcast?

If so, will the programme scheduled for 5:10am on Monday 2 February be a re-run of Friday's final?

TIA
Jeff
Yes. That's right Jeff.
Nick Wainwright
Series 56 Champion

Post by Nick Wainwright »

Great final today I thought to round off a good start to the new Countdown era.

Congratulations to Steven who, in my opinion, was a very worthy winner of the tournament and well played to Charlie who must have had one of the most entertaining run of games of any Countdown contestant - the conundrum declaration of gandiseeg being a fitting end.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Nick Wainwright wrote:Great final today I thought to round off a good start to the new Countdown era.

Congratulations to Steven who, in my opinion, was a very worthy winner of the tournament and well played to Charlie who must have had one of the most entertaining run of games of any Countdown contestant - the conundrum declaration of gandiseeg being a fitting end.
I suppose one thing that Charlie can say, is that he played 15 games - the maximum under the current system, ignoring any future specials.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Great game Steve and Charlie. I thoroughly enjoyed the show, although I had a power cut in the middle of Paul Zenon's spot, so missed the trick. I was also sorry there was no presentation, but perhaps there was some sort of prize for Steve that the viewers weren't aware of. I noticed a glass trophy on the desk by the side of Jeff and I guess that was for Charlie.
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

Well played both and congrats to Steve who deserved to win the coc, particularly given his earlier performances. They reminded me of Paul Gallen winning the last coc when he stood out from the first game as the likely champion.

Brilliant coc, great camaraderie from start to finish I guess borne out from most of the contestants being regulars on this esteemed forum and meeting at various COLINs etc. Loved the finish Charlie with gandiseeg - quality.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kathleen Batlle wrote:perhaps there was some sort of prize for Steve that the viewers weren't aware of. I noticed a glass trophy on the desk by the side of Jeff and I guess that was for Charlie.
No - as Jeff said at the end, the glass trophy was for Steven.