Spoilers for Tuesday 27th January CoC

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Katherine Birkett
Rookie

Spoilers for Tuesday 27th January CoC

Post by Katherine Birkett »

Please post here.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday 27th January CoC

Post by Matt Morrison »

R2: surely GAUDIEST
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

D'oh, bet Kai was gutted about BIONICS
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I like the back and forth of points. Very tight game. Just looking forward to the big D...
Ray Folwell
Acolyte

Post by Ray Folwell »

Is IDOLISTS OK ?
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

rayfolwell wrote:Is IDOLISTS OK ?
'Fraid not, good try though.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

The Guardian lied to us!
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Presumably OSMUNDA isn't in but maybe PIPETTE is?
Katherine Birkett
Rookie

Post by Katherine Birkett »

Letters 1 - AFORE

Letters 2 - GUIDES

Letters 3 - RELATED

Letters 4 - BIONICS

Numbers 1 - Got to 500! :mrgreen:

Tea Time Teaser 1 - Got BEANPOLE

Letters 5 - STAMEN

Letters 6 - STOLID

Letters 7 - COBLE

Letters 8 - PANICS

Numbers 2 - got to 453 (13 off)

Tea Time Teaser 2 - Couldn't hear Jeff's clue properly

Letters 9 - ROUNDS (feeble versus 9-letter one)

Letters 10 - DAMSON

Letters 11 - PIKE

Numbers 3 - 986 (14 off)

Conundrum - Nope!
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Craig Beevers wrote:Presumably OSMUNDA isn't in but maybe PIPETTE is?
OSMUNDA is actually fine, and I can't see why PIPETTE wouldn't be.

Really enjoyable game again, great 9 from Nick at a crucial moment, and it's been fantastic to see Kai doing so well.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:R2: surely GAUDIEST
Er, that's what Paul Zenon said.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

EASEMENT in round 6
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Another great game which yet again was won on a single round. Nick's 9 spot reminded me of Stanley Pons and his dubious claims to have achieved cold fusion, which resulted in the student chant, sung to the tune of Postman Pat: "Stanley Pons, Stanley Pons, Stanley Pons and his deuterons..."
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Well done Nick, fantastic 9 spot.I realise what you meant at CoLin now when you told me not to believe everything in the Guardian!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Very well done to both Kai and Nick for a brilliant game.

That was indeed a brilliant spot by Nick with that 9.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

:( :( :( I had GAUDIEST and BIONICS. :evil: :evil: :evil: I can't believe I lost to a single letter! Coincidentally, though, so did Rich. But congratulations to Nick, brilliantly played, especially with DEUTERONS. But, just to rub salt into the wounds, Mum told me later she found it. :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x

I remember mentioning to Nick in the first break, "This whole game could depend on me not pluralising BIONIC." And so it did. :evil: :x
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

A few points...

Rachel is started to relaxing now and her personality is shining through. One thing, when Nick asked for six from the third row, she took six from the second row. But then, it depends if you count from the top or the bottom, I suppose. Hard luck Kai and yes it's a bit harsh to lose based on BIONICS but I think Nick might have gone for six small numbers at the end of the game, in that case.

I was gonna start another thread on this... and it might be controversial because Kai's a member of the forum, but I met Conor Travers when he was about 13 as he came to COLIN and won two games out of six. About a year later, he won a whole series averaging 110 points a game. I'm just wondering Kai whether you think if you had waited until 14 or 15, whether you could have won the whole competition.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Martin Gardner wrote: I met Conor Travers when he was about 13 as he came to COLIN and won two games out of six. About a year later, he won a whole series averaging 110 points a game.
:shock: That is amazing how you go from a mediocre Countdowner to possibly the greatest of all time in such a small amount of time. I suppose he must have just been naturally brilliant at the game.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Martin Gardner wrote:
it's a bit harsh to lose based on BIONICS but I think Nick might have gone for six small numbers at the end of the game, in that case.
True, and also had the conundrum been crucial Nick may have focused that bit harder on it and got it quickly.He's pretty hot on them, as he proved in the series 56 final.

That's not to say he gave the conundrum away today, but I think you are that little bit more relaxed when you know the outcome doesn't depend on it.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote: I met Conor Travers when he was about 13 as he came to COLIN and won two games out of six. About a year later, he won a whole series averaging 110 points a game.
:shock: That is amazing how you go from a mediocre Countdowner to possibly the greatest of all time in such a small amount of time. I suppose he must have just been naturally brilliant at the game.
Mr Travers losses were narrow ones to former champion Stewart Holden (twice!), former runner up and CofC semi-finalist Tom Hargreaves, and, erm, me. I can assure you he was far from mediocre.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
Conor was far from mediocre at COLIN. As I recall he had terrible luck in the draws (checking now, he lost twice against series champion Stewart Holden, once against all-time great Tom Hargreaves and one against Paul "knows every word" Howe). His victories were against good opposition as well (Dan Harris and two time COLIN runner-up Jon O'Neill). "Naturally brilliant" doesn't really mean anything, but he was (and is) definitely brilliant. At COLIN and on TV.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Jon O'Neill wrote: "Naturally brilliant" doesn't really mean anything
I meant that he has a good ability to remember words with relatively little practise. Some people are naturally better at the game than others, it would take some people hundreds of games to reach the standard some people can reach with a fraction of the amount. Like some people have to work really hard to do well academically, while others do next to no work but do better. This has been covered in a different thread so I should just stop talking but I hope you see what I meant. :)
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Mum told me later she found it.
Ooh, this is dubious. DoD and myself shouted it out as soon as the 9th letter appeared so Mrs Kai would have to have got it before then. How good is your mum at Goatdown, Kai?
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Jimmy Gough wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote: "Naturally brilliant" doesn't really mean anything
I meant that he might have a good ability to remember words with relatively little practise. Some people are naturally better at the game than others, it would take some people hundreds of games to reach the standard some people can reach with a fraction of the amount. Like some people have to work really hard to do well academically, while others do next to no work but do better. This has been covered in a different thread so I should just stop talking but I hope you see what I meant. :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:
Ooh, this is dubious. DoD and myself shouted it out as soon as the 9th letter appeared so Mrs Kai would have to have got it before then. How good is your mum at Goatdown, Kai?
I was sat with Naomi in the front row of the audience, she wasn't in the green room. (I actually left to go for a pee or something, and returned to the audience during this round.)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Rich Priest wrote:True, and also had the conundrum been crucial Nick may have focused that bit harder on it and got it quickly
Actually, apparently he was about to buzz in with AWESTRUCK before I buzzed.
Nick Wainwright
Series 56 Champion

Post by Nick Wainwright »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Rich Priest wrote:True, and also had the conundrum been crucial Nick may have focused that bit harder on it and got it quickly
Actually, apparently he was about to buzz in with AWESTRUCK before I buzzed.
Yeah, that was the first word which immediately came to me when the conundrum was revealed, but just after Kai buzzed I noticed that it was indeed TRACKSUIT.

Kai was an excellent contestant, both in terms of ability and on-screen personality, and the game really could have gone either way.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Jon Corby wrote:
Junaid Mubeen wrote:
I was sat with Naomi in the front row of the audience, she wasn't in the green room. (I actually left to go for a pee or something, and returned to the audience during this round.)
Ah, of course she would be, I was confused as she was in the green room for the game before...okay in that case well in Mrs Kai, sorry I doubted you!
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Nick did a lot of choosing vowels especially after he got a 9. This would stop either contestant getting a 9 and would be in his interest. I do not like it. If I see what I see is really happening, I am so not impressed I am going off countdown a wee bit.
I would be really relieved to be put right on this.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

John Bosley wrote:Nick did a lot of choosing vowels especially after he got a 9. This would stop either contestant getting a 9 and would be in his interest. I do not like it. If I see what I see is really happening, I am so not impressed I am going off countdown a wee bit.
You can only choose a maximum of five vowels and there are plenty of niners out there with five vowels John.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

John Bosley wrote:Nick did a lot of choosing vowels especially after he got a 9. This would stop either contestant getting a 9 and would be in his interest. I do not like it. If I see what I see is really happening, I am so not impressed I am going off countdown a wee bit.
So by a lot, you mean once, in a round where the first four vowels were OAAA? Besides which there's nothing wrong with choosing letters (or numbers) tactically to restrict an opponent's scoring, you've earned that right by getting yourself into a strong position. And Kai didn't need a 9, he needed to win 2 of the last 3 rounds (plus maybe the conundrum), I'd have been happier facing 5 vowels as it's less likely to produce a flat round.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People choose numbers tactically all the time so why not letters? It's part of the game and as far as I can see perfectly fine.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

I didn't say there was anything against the rules, but that doesn't mean I liked it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

John Bosley wrote:I didn't say there was anything against the rules, but that doesn't mean I liked it.
I know but it sounds like you think it's underhand in some way.
Nick Wainwright
Series 56 Champion

Post by Nick Wainwright »

So my selection of 5 vowels in one round has put you off Countdown?! :roll: Out of interest, which consonant would you have hoped to come out after MDNSOAAA to produce a nine-lettered word?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Nick Wainwright wrote:which consonant would you have hoped to come out after MDNSOAAA to produce a nine-lettered word?
One that didn't yield an obscure 9 :twisted:
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Martin Gardner wrote: I'm just wondering Kai whether you think if you had waited until 14 or 15, whether you could have won the whole competition.
Nah, he wouldn't have the time. By the time he's 15 he'll be juggling five girlfriends and working on his second million.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

John, pros of the game "fish" for long obscure words. Nick did the right thing. I was looking for an E for ADENOMAS which would have probably been a winner. As it was it was a U and I had OSMUNDA which, again, was a winner. It's about probability and about knowing how obscure certain words are.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

John Bosley wrote:Nick did a lot of choosing vowels especially after he got a 9. This would stop either contestant getting a 9 and would be in his interest. I do not like it. If I see what I see is really happening, I am so not impressed I am going off countdown a wee bit. I would be really relieved to be put right on this.
I take a few days off from the forum and return to this, undoubtedly the most fucking retarded post of all time. You're wrong in just so many ways that my brain almost exploded when I read it. Maybe this would be more to your taste.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
John Bosley wrote:Nick did a lot of choosing vowels especially after he got a 9. This would stop either contestant getting a 9 and would be in his interest. I do not like it. If I see what I see is really happening, I am so not impressed I am going off countdown a wee bit. I would be really relieved to be put right on this.
I take a few days off from the forum and return to this, undoubtedly the most fucking retarded post of all time. You're wrong in just so many ways that my brain almost exploded when I read it. Maybe this would be more to your taste.
Shit, they have a forum for that. Actually it's quite useful because I'm in training to go on and I need to know which strategies work.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Thank for your kindly but rather outspoken advice, but I was actually asking for help if you read my fucking retarded post carefully. I firstly need to apologise to Nick - sorry Nick - you are right to take every chance to win - that is what the game is about.
I am a mere viewer of C not an expert. I seem to remember the round I had in mind ended with three Is. But I shall now attempt to forget it. Clearly I wanted Kai to win and I am a dickhead.
Can I be forgiven and allowed to continue on this forum please.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Shit, they have a forum for that. Actually it's quite useful because I'm in training to go on and I need to know which strategies work.
From the little of it I have seen, I observe that if you think 'blue' and the team and audience chant 'blue blue' in a religious type way, there is always a blue in the box when it's opened. Infallible.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Chris Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: Shit, they have a forum for that. Actually it's quite useful because I'm in training to go on and I need to know which strategies work.
From the little of it I have seen, I observe that if you think 'blue' and the team and audience chant 'blue blue' in a religious type way, there is always a blue in the box when it's opened. Infallible.
Yup, you're 100% right, apart from those occasions where there is a red in it.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Chris Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: Shit, they have a forum for that. Actually it's quite useful because I'm in training to go on and I need to know which strategies work.
Yup, you're 100% right, apart from those occasions where there is a red in it.
Ah yeah, but then it's because the player forgot to take into account what colour clothing the box opener was wearing. Or the colour they were wearing. Or whether they were believing hard enough.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:
I don't think it is that retarded, I think it deserves an answer. Imagine I'm on Apterous and the letters are DMNSAAO. Now the best pick is a vowel for ADENOMAS, but it comes a 'U'. What's the best pick now? Surely it's still a vowel for ADENOMAS, because even though I can see at least one consonant that gives an 8, 'E' is the most likely vowel because there are 20 of them, and none of the previous 4 vowels were an 'E'. So I reckon you've got a 50% chance or more of getting ADENOMAS in this way.

Plus, there's no real rule that says you have to go for the longest word in every round. What if a vowel gives a nine, but you don't know what it is? Why not pick a consonant to block the nine because your opponent might get it if you don't. The aim of the game is to win, not to have nines in every round. As Charlie said, in his five vowel rounds he probably beat his opponents get a lot (APOGEE for example) compared to round with 4 or 3 vowels.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Michael Wallace wrote:Ah yeah, but then it's because the player forgot to take into account what colour clothing the box opener was wearing. Or the colour they were wearing. Or whether they were believing hard enough.
It all sounds a bit complicated. Has there been proper research written up in journals?
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:
Cheers Junaid for that vote of confidence! I did get it actually - you were watching from the green room and I was in the studio, so unless you shouted it bloody loudly I couldn't have heard you! I may be crap at this most of the time, but I think I deserve some credit for this one! If I remember correctly, I was sitting next to Corby and I even muttered it to him (not that he'll remember, but I do because I was amazed I'd found a 9). :)
DaveC
Acolyte

Post by DaveC »

Nick Wainwright wrote:
So my selection of 5 vowels in one round has put you off Countdown?! :roll: Out of interest, which consonant would you have hoped to come out after MDNSOAAA to produce a nine-lettered word?
I mucked about with this statistically, just for jolly. Final choice of a vowel is slightly more likely (at 71% to 63% for a consonant) to reveal a 7. Choice of a vowel is significantly (48% as opposed to 23%) more likely to produce an 8, (i.e if I or E come out)

I think it is always best to keep in mind that any split second decision is just that, and obviously not well thought out, a mentalitly of "I can't see jack shit, better try for an E" or Martins "Try for an E I'll have ADENOMAS", thinking Kai might not know or spot that word. Both are legitimate and fair gameplay.

In the CONOT tournament I chose a last vowel in an awkward letter set, the whole room groaned. I was hoping for an I for PHALLI and thinking Charlie might not know the word. Had the ploy worked I'd have won a game I went on to lose. I don't know if the rounds are online any place, I think PAELLA may have been the max.

No reason to go off Countdown (or Nick for that matter) it's how the game is played.

DC
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

DaveC wrote:I mucked about with this statistically, just for jolly. Final choice of a vowel is slightly more likely (at 71% to 63% for a consonant) to reveal a 7. Choice of a vowel is significantly (48% as opposed to 23%) more likely to produce an 8, (i.e if I or E come out)
Did you remember to weight the selections according to what was left in the deck, rather than the original frequencies?
DaveC
Acolyte

Post by DaveC »

Charlie Reams wrote:
DaveC wrote:I mucked about with this statistically, just for jolly. Final choice of a vowel is slightly more likely (at 71% to 63% for a consonant) to reveal a 7. Choice of a vowel is significantly (48% as opposed to 23%) more likely to produce an 8, (i.e if I or E come out)
Did you remember to weight the selections according to what was left in the deck, rather than the original frequencies?
Yup!

Not being too nerdy again are we?

DC
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Naomi Laddiman wrote:
Junaid Mubeen wrote:
Cheers Junaid for that vote of confidence! I did get it actually - you were watching from the green room and I was in the studio, so unless you shouted it bloody loudly I couldn't have heard you! I may be crap at this most of the time, but I think I deserve some credit for this one! If I remember correctly, I was sitting next to Corby and I even muttered it to him (not that he'll remember, but I do because I was amazed I'd found a 9). :)

Oops, sorry Mrs Kai, I did realise after Corby Jnr corrected me (I think you've missed a post of mine above). I have no trouble believing Kai inherited his smarts from yourself. And you were definitely the best amongst the contestants' mums at the game!

(hope my mum doesn't read this)
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Hey, does Mrs Kai feature in any of the photographs in the bar at CofC?
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Hey, does Mrs Kai feature in any of the photographs in the bar at CofC?
Yes.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Jon Corby wrote:
Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Hey, does Mrs Kai feature in any of the photographs in the bar at CofC?
Yes.
Ha Ha, which is she?
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:Oops, sorry Mrs Kai, I did realise after Corby Jnr corrected me (I think you've missed a post of mine above). I have no trouble believing Kai inherited his smarts from yourself. And you were definitely the best amongst the contestants' mums at the game!

(hope my mum doesn't read this)
Sorry Junaid, I did miss your earlier post. I skimmed through and stopped to post a reply as soon as I got to the original comment - I was obviously deeply offended by it!! Afterwards, I forgot to go back and read the other posts. :oops:

Thank you Corby for sticking up for me in the first place!

I think 'joint best' would be more appropriate! :)
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Yes.
Ha Ha, which is she?
Have I missed the answer elsewhere? I wanna see the woman who created young Kai! :)
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

So did I but no one's talking :cry:
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ben Hunter wrote:D'oh, bet Kai was gutted about BIONICS
This makes me even more gutted. :cry: