Cheating - and spoilers

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

David Williams
Kiloposter

Cheating - and spoilers

Post by David Williams »

There seems to be a consensus as to what is cheating on apterous. So is it any different in posting words or numbers missed on the programme itself? The recapper will give a computerised perfect record of the game in due course, so what's the point in posting something unless you found it yourself? Fair enough to check a doubtful word is actually in the dictionary, but that's as far as it goes.

I usually watch in the evening, and get a fair number of DC/RR(CV) beaters, but I can't recall the last time they weren't already on here when I looked. It never used to be like that when there wasn't an online resource. Obviously I don't know what others think, and there's far more, and better, people on the forum than there used to be.

David
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Cheating - and spoilers

Post by Jon Corby »

David Williams wrote:There seems to be a consensus as to what is cheating on apterous. So is it any different in posting words or numbers missed on the programme itself? The recapper will give a computerised perfect record of the game in due course, so what's the point in posting something unless you found it yourself? Fair enough to check a doubtful word is actually in the dictionary, but that's as far as it goes.

I usually watch in the evening, and get a fair number of DC/RR(CV) beaters, but I can't recall the last time they weren't already on here when I looked. It never used to be like that when there wasn't an online resource. Obviously I don't know what others think, and there's far more, and better, people on the forum than there used to be.

David
To be honest I don't really see the point in posting beaters (unless it is a particularly obscure word, or you're proud of the spot or whatever). The maxes, like you say, will all be there in the recap. I don't doubt that people in the past have just sat with solvers posting them feeling smug. I'd rather the spoiler threads were more thought of as "places to discuss the game" rather than being some kind of race to post a max/solution.

In summary: I agree.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

I concur.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I don't really care tbh, I can't see it as "cheating" when you're not the actual player, I suppose dishonest is a much better word. I can think of at least one example off the top of my head... but since I have no evidence, I'll shut up now, please.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I quite like posting words I'm particularly proud of, but have difficulty justifying it as more than a minor ego boost.

However, what truly annoys me is having to wade through a pile of alternative numbers solutions that aren't particularly neat or interesting, just different, for a game that's already been solved. Yes, it's the spoiler thread, but come on people!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Paul Howe wrote:However, what truly annoys me is having to wade through a pile of alternative numbers solutions that aren't particularly neat or interesting, just different, for a game that's already been solved. Yes, it's the spoiler thread, but come on people!
Oh God this.

Of course now we get into a debate about what's an 'interesting' numbers solution (although this is why I usually only post an alternative if it does something objective, like not use the large number).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:However, what truly annoys me is having to wade through a pile of alternative numbers solutions that aren't particularly neat or interesting, just different, for a game that's already been solved. Yes, it's the spoiler thread, but come on people!
Of course now we get into a debate about what's an 'interesting' numbers solution (although this is why I usually only post an alternative if it does something objective, like not use the large number).
Bang on, that's what I do too Michael. No need for numbers 'alternates', just solutions for those that weren't figured on the show, or as you say, a solution only using the small numbers or something.

I disagree with half of what's been said here in that if you're posting on the spoilers thread whilst watching the episode it is quite interesting watching people developing solutions and discussing words... but then if you didn't watch the episode live, reading back through the spoiler thread would be fairly tough going admittedly. But then, like every thread on this forum, you don't have to read it (a fairly base argument but true nonetheless). In my eyes the spoiler threads have always been about live while-it's-on play.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Ego boost + We might upset Lee Bailey = Spoilers are good!
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Oi - where were all the "numbers alternates are rubbish" posts when I made this point a few months back?!

Ahh you all Foe'd me, fair enough. :oops:

I was waiting for something like "R5 Alternate: (3 - 1 + 2) x 100 = 400" before kicking off again.

I quite like seeing beaters if I'm watching the show live with C4C about, as I'm not sad enough to use a solver on each round. If there's a word that hasn't been mentioned, and I'm a bit paranoid about it's existence/spelling, I will check it though. I wish I remembered half the stuff Paul posts, it only sticks if it's spotted against me in an online or tournament game.

In summary, I think the convention is to acknowledge use of any solver if your "beater" or whatever wasn't your own work. Some pitiful people need all the adulation they can get though, be it on spoilers threads or apterous...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Just to add a further rant... people posting 'my game' lists of what they got in every round, usually full of "couldn't even get this one!" "did rubbish on this one!" - utterly, utterly pointless and painful. People are interested in the actual solutions and answers almost exclusively at the cost of any interest in who actually found them (when the person in question isn't one of the two contestants). It beggars belief (to me) that people actually think other people on the forum care. Or do they?...
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Matt Morrison wrote:Just to add a further rant... people posting 'my game' lists of what they got in every round, usually full of "couldn't even get this one!" "did rubbish on this one!" - utterly, utterly pointless and painful. People are interested in the actual solutions and answers almost exclusively at the cost of any interest in who actually found them (when the person in question isn't one of the two contestants). It beggars belief (to me) that people actually think other people on the forum care. Or do they?...
I've only noticed one person doing this... perhaps I should shut up now to avoid offending them.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:Or do they?...
No.