Spoilers for Thursday 24th June 2021 (Series 83, Second Semi Final)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Spoilers for Thursday 24th June 2021 (Series 83, Second Semi Final)

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I know it's 12:23am but I should get this posted now so we have the stats

JAMES BURLEY
Highest score: 127 vs Edward Carter, game 2
Lowest score: 84 vs Paul Gaskell, game 1
Score: 919
Average: 102.11
Max faced: 1,278
% score: 71.9%
Raw score: 974
Raw average: 108.22
Raw % score: 76.2%
Conundrums: 8/9

ADAM LATCHFORD
Highest score: 115 vs Jacky Treacy, game 3
Lowest score: 72+TB vs Conor Morgan, game 1
Score: 831
Average: 92.33
Max faced: 1,214
% score: 68.5%
Raw score: 864
Raw average: 96.00
Raw % score: 71.2%
Conundrums: 9/10
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 24 June 2021 (Series 83, Second Semi Final)

Post by Ryan Lam »

The penultimate episode before Nick Hewer retires, in less than 24 hours from now it'll all be over. Nine years has gone by in a flash and the time has nearly come for him to leave, but before that, of course there's still the second Semi-Finals today before the all important occasion tomorrow! Also, not sure if anyone noticed, but someone in the control room clearly switched the camera view at the end too early, whoops...

Letters: Unlucky start when both got peonic (In fact, several people in the Daily Chat made the same error too), but at least they scored points in R2 especially with James' RADIOUS. Woah, Adam has MATIPO in R4 to widen his lead. Later on, I feel James, he looked so frustrated when he could have had PLAGUER in R8 but chose not to risk it :( A dodgy nine (underbets) subsequently gets both players again after the second break but James has MACULA in R12. Sadly, it was not enough to catch up after the nice spot of COALISED in the next round.

Numbers: James decides not to risk in R3 and with Adam getting a perfect solution the gap opens wide! :( Adam gambles and oh my, double "1"s in R6 with "4 Large", that's not something anyone wants, but clever him, got as close as he could. Seeing what happened by this point, James admits he has no choice but to gamble with "6 Small" in R9 but it doesn't pay off with a manageable round. Finally, Adam made the move that would seal his opponent's fate, not to risk in R14 and with that, the game is over with an easy round for the Finals.

Conundrum: James might have lost but he still tries one last attempt to get the Conundrum and sadly doesn't get it :( Adam tries at the very end with a funny incorrect answer until the same cameraman that laughed one week ago in the exact same round did it again :lol: . Oh the facepalms when the answer came out, even this escaped me which left me having the same reaction too. Who knew one could have SAT near the TABLESIDE and have an EDIBLE meal (and I just so happen to have one in my garden, so all the more, yikes!)

As someone in the Daily Chat had anticipated, the numbers round would decide the game and boy was that person right with Adam edging out as the winner. This match was too close to call for me but ultimately I predicted that Adam would win by around 20 points and I was quite right with the margin at 17 points! Poor James, even if he had risked PLAGUER and MACULAE, it wouldn't have saved him from the jaws of defeat (the score would have been 67 - 82), but he played well. As he said, nerves and differences got the better of him for the fumble at the start which made him unable to catch up. Nevertheless, I'm sure you had a wonderful time and good sportsmanship you had there when you were commending Adam at the end. All the best in your teaching through this pandemic and press on! I'm sure your students have been quite supportive of you!

So there you have it, for the first time since the Series 76 Grand Final four years ago, we have the #1 Seed facing the #3 Seed and for the first time since the Series 78 Grand Final back in 2018, the #2 Seed failing to make it to the Grand Final. It will certainly be an uphill battle for Adam in terms of his statistics thus far but how will he fare against Luke who could potentially be way up there on the Xicount List with Luke Johnson-Davies last year? The final episode with Nick Hewer, the lights are about to go out, be there at 2:10pm BST wherever you are! I'm sure this is going to be a memorable episode...

Progress:
QF1 (17 June): Luke Boynton (#1) vs Dave Lomax (#8) (99 - 47)
QF2 (18 June): James Burley (#2) vs Tom Vincent (#7) (100 - 66)
QF3 (21 June): Adam Latchford (#3)* vs Declan McGurk (#6) (99 - 40)
QF4 (22 June): Louis Ross (#4)* vs Coral Heath (#5) (88 - 83)
SF1 (23 June): Luke Boynton (QF1 Winner) vs Louis Ross (QF4 Winner)* (98 - 76)
SF2 (24 June): James Burley (QF2 Winner) vs Adam Latchford (QF3 Winner)* (65 - 82)
GF (25 June): Luke Boynton (SF1 Winner) vs Adam Latchford (SF2 Winner)*
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

This was a good game between two good contestants and everything, but I don't think it's too disrespectful to say that I think the contestants should take a back seat here, because it's been announced that based on her performance on this show, Rachel has won the non-sequitur of the century award. That's right - they closed nominations some 80 years early because they just knew it couldn't be beaten. Here's a reminder of what happened:

Nick tells us the story of the longest professional tennis match in history, between John Isner and Nicolas Mahut at Wimbledon 11 years ago.

Rachel (slightly paraphrased): Yeah, I can totally relate to that. I made some vegan Yorkshire puddings and they turned out awful.

Amazing, as I'm sure you can all agree.
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Always feel for players who are frustrated with their performance- which was evident in James's case I'd say. Still, no mean feat to make the semi-finals, and is so far the only finalist to get a century during these finals so far. Plus, he came across very well, too :)

Good performance from Adam considering the nasty selections! Look forward to the finals tomorrow!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

James was clearly not at the races today making some schoolboy errors although when he declared 9 with Underbets i thought he may have gone for the more likely SUBRENTAL.
Still, well done for a scrabbler
Luke by 2O+ tomorrow
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Well played to both, but especially Adam. The months of Apto-training very much paid dividends today. Strong showing.

I reckon his newly earned title of "Jammiest-Series-Finalist-Ever" will not be topped any time soon... as it was an administrative error that saw him face the easier S6-S2 path to the final, rather than the S5-S1 path he'd have faced had the seeding been correct.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

Good game guys, well done Adam and unlucky James. R6 was a particularly good spot by Adam. Should be a good final tomorrow.

DENTURES in R10. Surprised Susie missed that.

R9 Alt.: (10*4+6/2)*5 = 215
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

:!:
L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:14 pm I reckon his newly earned title of "Jammiest-Series-Finalist-Ever" will not be topped any time soon... as it was an administrative error that saw him face the easier S6-S2 path to the final, rather than the S5-S1 path he'd have faced had the seeding been correct.
I presume you will take that comment back if Adam beats Luke in the final. If that is the case, you could argue that Luke might be the “Jammiest-Series-Finalist-Ever” as he might then have lost to Adam in the semi final rather than the final 😀
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:25 pm James was clearly not at the races today making some schoolboy errors although when he declared 9 with Underbets i thought he may have gone for the more likely SUBRENTAL.
Luke by 2O+ tomorrow
The letters weren't there for SUBRENTAL!
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:50 am
Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:25 pm James was clearly not at the races today making some schoolboy errors although when he declared 9 with Underbets i thought he may have gone for the more likely SUBRENTAL.
Luke by 2O+ tomorrow
SUBRENTED maybe? (would have been a good guess but hyphenated in ODO)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Carl Harrison wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:47 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:50 am
Luke by 2O+ tomorrow
SUBRENTED maybe? (would have been a good guess but hyphenated in ODO)
Yeah thats what i meant, its ok in Scrabble though
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Surely the tactic when you're well behind, your opponent declares a nine, and you don't have anything cast iron, is to go for a definite eight or a seven? UNRESTED for me.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

I think James probably felt obliged to go for the 9, as he'd have been over 40 pts behind if Underbets was valid and he'd not gone for it. Plus, they may know their poker terms! https://www.888poker.com/magazine/poker-terms/underbet
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

Carl Harrison wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:41 am :!:
L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:14 pm I reckon his newly earned title of "Jammiest-Series-Finalist-Ever" will not be topped any time soon... as it was an administrative error that saw him face the easier S6-S2 path to the final, rather than the S5-S1 path he'd have faced had the seeding been correct.
I presume you will take that comment back if Adam beats Luke in the final. If that is the case, you could argue that Luke might be the “Jammiest-Series-Finalist-Ever” as he might then have lost to Adam in the semi final rather than the final 😀
I love it when a plan comes together.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Tom S wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:26 pm I think James probably felt obliged to go for the 9, as he'd have been over 40 pts behind if Underbets was valid and he'd not gone for it.
I daresay that's true, but at 23 points behind you have a chance to be either 15 points behind or 41. Against an opponent who really isn't likely to give you the two more opportunities you need to get within crucial conundrum range, I'd see that as a chance worth taking even if it was odds against.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Carl Harrison wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:41 am :!:
I presume you will take that comment back if Adam beats Luke in the final.
Yep, I take it back, and revise it to "Jammiest-Series-Winner-Ever" :mrgreen:
Well played, Snackrite Latchford!
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp