Spoilers for Friday 19th March 2021 (Series 83, Preliminary 55)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers for Friday 19th March 2021 (Series 83, Preliminary 55)

Post by Gavin Chipper »

(5×(7+1)+3)×6+4 = 262 in the first numbers that Rachel and the contestants failed to get.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers for Friday 19th March 2021 (Series 83, Preliminary 55)

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Golden Slumbers is a song by The Beatles written by Paul McCartney. Nick never explains the teasers. Colin is better for that.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Who is this new champion guy? Is he on Apterous? Series champion tier easy. I think he only got the best on one numbers though. But they were quite tough.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:06 pm Who is this new champion guy? Is he on Apterous? Series champion tier easy.
The scoreline made it look like Tom was incompetent, when he still played really well. Unlucky draw.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Tom S wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:09 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:06 pm Who is this new champion guy? Is he on Apterous? Series champion tier easy.
The scoreline made it look like Tom was incompetent, when he still played really well. Unlucky draw.
Yeah, he would have been a decent octochamp.

In Susie's Origin or Words, she talked about "phishing". I always think it looks funny when I see serious articles like on the BBC using that word. I see it as just internet slang, like if they said "pwned".
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

WOW. The challenger surely must be under a pseudonym on Apto? I got absolutely spanked.
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

The challenger first appeared on Countdown in 2004 and lost on his debut by a crucial conundrum, so he must have put 17 years of hard work in to improve non-stop. I doubt he’s an Apterite under a pseudonym TBH.

Very bad luck to Tom - overwhelmed by the second-highest maiden victory score in Countdown history, 1 point off Luke Johnson-Davies’s 139 in December 2019, and perfect letters as well. Very intelligent and given how tricky those numbers were, he’s amazing under studio pressure. Absolutely stunning!
Series 78 Runner-up
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

It’s possible he practised on old Countdown apps, several other software, electronic games and/or regular viewing and memorising.
Series 78 Runner-up
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

Impressive debut! There's no way that Luke isn't a regular user of Apterous (perhaps under a pseudonym) or at the very least using Lexplorer or Rob's word lists - no regular player is going to come up with words like Rodential, Ponceaus, Maroudis, Giaours, Pilewort and Neuronic on their first show if they haven't spent a long time learning words lists in advance. But hey that's fine, I'm sure there have been plenty of closet Apterites in the past, and no one is forced to be public about it if they don't want to.

I'd say he's head and shoulders above everyone else who's been on so far this series, and on that first showing I would already say he's in the mix for the next CoC...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think it's actually really good that a "mystery" player has come along and taken the game by storm. It basically never happens now. All the really best players are on Apterous and known to be so. You're basically going back to Julian Fell for another debut like this.
Philip A
Kiloposter

Post by Philip A »

Couldn’t agree more, Gavin.
Series 78 Runner-up
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:32 pm I think it's actually really good that a "mystery" player has come along and taken the game by storm. It basically never happens now. All the really best players are on Apterous and known to be so. You're basically going back to Julian Fell for another debut like this.
Well, not really, I think you're going back to Leo from the last series for a "mystery" player like that.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:50 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:32 pm I think it's actually really good that a "mystery" player has come along and taken the game by storm. It basically never happens now. All the really best players are on Apterous and known to be so. You're basically going back to Julian Fell for another debut like this.
Well, not really, I think you're going back to Leo from the last series for a "mystery" player like that.
He's not the same level though.

Edit - The Julian Fell analogy is not hyperbole.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:06 pm Who is this new champion guy? Is he on Apterous?
Yes he is.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:30 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:06 pm Who is this new champion guy? Is he on Apterous?
Yes he is.
What name does he go by?
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:08 pm What name does he go by?
Wouldn't that rather spoil the mystery? ;)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Probably. The fact that he's on there at all spoils it a bit.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:08 pm
L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:30 pm
Yes he is.
What name does he go by?
William R. Draper
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Thanks.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Now the whole world knows!
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

Are you sure? It sounded like he wanted to stay anonymous, given the username and that he doesn’t seem to have said anything publicly, so I presume he wouldn’t have explicitly told anyone.

But it makes sense, a strong 2000+ rated player who only seems to have been around a year or so.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Yeah, I can't say I get the whole secrecy thing - but that's his choice - it's not really for you to announce to the world.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Fiona T wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:34 pm Yeah, I can't say I get the whole secrecy thing - but that's his choice - it's not really for you to announce to the world.
Are you giving me a firm dressing down again Fiona?
I do so love our little chats! :mrgreen:

Maybe it's not him, but that is the word on the street... either him, Bruce Wayne or Mysterion.
No doubt it'll be confirmed for sure soon.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:05 pm No doubt it'll be confirmed for sure soon.
Yeah, it's him.

Congrats to Luke / William on a barnstorming 2nd debut!
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:05 pm
Fiona T wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:34 pm Yeah, I can't say I get the whole secrecy thing - but that's his choice - it's not really for you to announce to the world.
Are you giving me a firm dressing down again Fiona?
I do so love our little chats! :mrgreen:
Firm dressing down? Lol.

Just makes me a bit glum that you seem to care not about people's own choices in your eagerness to exercise your right to "say it how it is" or whatever it is you think you're achieving.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Fiona T wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:32 pm Just makes me a bit glum... then some tedious judgy stuff.
The 'firm dressing down' comment was supposed to be a bit of banter, but if we must venture into tediousness, I have some tedious advice for you too. If you are keen to shake off the 'mumsy' image, cutting back a bit on the schoolmarmy stuff (see above) would serve you better than pretending to like cats' arses. ;)
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:02 pm The 'firm dressing down' comment was supposed to be a bit of banter, but if we must venture into tediousness, I have some tedious advice for you too. If you are keen to shake off the 'mumsy' image, cutting back a bit on the schoolmarmy stuff (see above) would serve you better than pretending to like cats' arses. ;)
I'll take a "mumsy" image over "a bit of a dick" one any day.
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Post by Ronan M Higginson »

Honestly I don't think it was necessary to publicly expose who he is on Apterous, as I expect he wants anonymity, or, at least, WANTED it.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Am i going to see a headline in a tabloid soon.
Publicly exposed is what 100 people , tops .
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Yeah, I mean obviously it was me that asked Eoin but I didn't know how much of a secret it might be and it certainly wasn't my intention to "out" someone who didn't want to be outed.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Fiona T wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:31 am I'll take a "mumsy" image over "a bit of a dick" one any day.
Wanting to shake off your "Mumsy image" was something that you mentioned publicly before...
...but "bit of a dick" is simply you resorting to name-calling, so yeah, I won't be replying to any more snarky comments on this thread. Probably should have ignored the first one tbf. This conversation was a simple Q&A between myself and Gevin. It is hard to equate "C4C Fiona" with "in-game Fiona". They are like two different people.

Ronan M Higginson wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:53 am Honestly I don't think it was necessary to publicly expose who he is on Apterous, as I expect he wants anonymity, or, at least, WANTED it.
And I want a million euro, but boohoo. We don't always get what we want.
Some useful tips for anyone who wants anonymity:-
1. Don't go on TV.
2. Don't confide to several people in a small community what your name is.
3. Don't join a website where the user base consists of mostly real names or known pseudonyms, and expect that you won't get found out.

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:43 pm Yeah, I mean obviously it was me that asked Eoin but I didn't know how much of a secret it might be and it certainly wasn't my intention to "out" someone who didn't want to be outed.
You asked a question. I had a fair idea of what the answer probably was, so I answered.
As you were. Nothing to see here. 'Outrage' on behalf of 3rd parties is best ignored.

From what I remember of my conversation with William, He said he would be on S83, but wanted to say nothing about it for the moment. He certainly did not leave me with the impression that he thought it would stay a secret once his shows had actually aired. He does not strike me as a dense or delusional type.

If you want to do apto-anonymity properly (but still want to go on TV)... then do what Leo did, i.e.
1. Tell no-one your Apto pseudonym.
2. In real life (in Salford), if asked, deny having heard of Apterous.
Harry Savage

Post by Harry Savage »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:25 am
This is not comparable. This is much more like posting online that your closeted friend is gay. I don't think anyone would agree that it's a nice thing to do. I'm not saying that revealing your pseudo is equivalent to coming out, but it should be controlled by the person who wants to remain anonymous.

From my own experience, I wanted to play under a pseudo so that if I were to go on the show, I would have no pressure from members of the community. I don't mind that people now know who I am, but the argument of 'it's only 100 people' is invalid because, to the player, those 100 people are all that are important.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Harry Savage wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:42 pm
L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:25 am
This is not comparable. This is much more like posting online that your closeted friend is gay. I don't think anyone would agree that it's a nice thing to do. I'm not saying that revealing your pseudo is equivalent to coming out, but it should be controlled by the person who wants to remain anonymous.

From my own experience, I wanted to play under a pseudo so that if I were to go on the show, I would have no pressure from members of the community. I don't mind that people now know who I am, but the argument of 'it's only 100 people' is invalid because, to the player, those 100 people are all that are important.
Your post is rendered irrelevant by the "useful tips 1,2 and 3" as replied to Ronan, and also by the tips 1 and 2 for how to truly stay anonymous.
I mean if you really want me to, I can crack out the world's tiniest violin and play a heart-wrenching lament dedicated to anyone still pretending they think this was in any way poor conduct... but the truth of the matter is: no tears will be cried and no sleep lost over this... by anyone, especially not Luke.
Harry Savage

Post by Harry Savage »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:10 pm [Your post is rendered irrelevant by the "useful tips 1,2 and 3" as replied to Ronan, and also by the tips 1 and 2 for how to truly stay anonymous.
Ah yes, while we're on the topic, women can't complain about being attacked if they leave the house after dark.

Richard Brittain's victim should take all the blame for what happened to her, after all, she should have known that writing a review could have caused something unwanted to happen.

Although these examples are much more extreme, they're the same in nature, can you appreciate this?

I don't think anyone wants you to crack out a violin, but I imagine that Luke would appreciate an apology.