Spoilers for Monday 14th December 2020 (Series 82, 3rd Quarter-Final)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Spoilers for Monday 14th December 2020 (Series 82, 3rd Quarter-Final)

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Number 3 seed: Leo Smith
Highest score: 126 vs Steve Whatmore, game 3
Lowest score: 96 vs Nicola Newton, game 8
Score: 869
Average: 108.63
Max faced: 1,066
% score: 81.5%
Raw score: 907
Raw average: 113.38
Raw % score: 85.1%
Conundrums: 6/8

Number 6 seed: Phil Hulme
Highest score: 121 vs Ewan Sturrock, game 8
Lowest score: 85 vs Barry French, game 5
Score: 789
Average: 98.63
Max faced: 1,036
% score: 76.2%
Raw score: 817
Raw average: 102.13
Raw % score: 78.9%
Conundrums: 3/8
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Tom S
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Monday 14 December 2020 (Series 82, Third Quarter Final)

Post by Tom S »

Unlucky Phil- very well played- most enjoyable finals game so far in this tournament. Great game between them both and well done to Leo on advancing to the semi :P
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Finally, here we are, after 50 weeks of the year, we're now in the final week of Series 82 in 2020! We've made it this far and we're now on the home stretch! Only five more episodes to top the 182 episodes we're going to have by the end of this week! Let's get on with things swiftly...

Letters: Both players were tied for the first three letters round and not to mention Phil's credible spot of GLAIVE in Round 4, until he beat Leo with FOCUSING and takes the lead in Round 5! :o After Leo stuns everyone by unfortunately going wrong in Round 11, he takes the lead for a second time, but not before the former fights back with TRIPLANE in Round 12! One last letters round and yet another commendable spot with POSAUNE. Phil certainly has been using his time to practice for these moments on camera and it sure has paid off!

Numbers: Sensing Phil might be a tough opponent, Leo gambles early with four large but that didn't pay off successfully. Instead, he chose to go back to his usual one large in Round 9 and it pays off big, for he claws back the lead from Phil after finding an exact solution! (I admit I only got 903, and as Rachel mentioned, there were plenty of dead ends for this one). Not surprisingly, Phil gambles with six small in Round 14 to try and force a crucial conundrum, but it didn't happen and in the end, Leo dodged a massive bullet and had won the game by then.

Conundrum: It's one of those days when you see a somewhat rude Conundrum on the normal version of the show, let alone in a Quarter-Final (If it had happened in the Semi-Finals, I think it would have been even more awkward :lol:) Phil makes a final attempt to reduce the margin to the lowest possible number without winning but alas, his response was wrong. Strangely enough, I thought the answer ended in -SOME and eventually did get the final answer, although the actual definition of EIGHTSOME is nowhere dirty as one might think from a Threesome (I'm not going to get into that here). ;)

This match was WAY closer than I could have predicted. I predicted Leo would comfortably win by around 25 points, but the margin was smaller at only 11 points. With whoever was taking the lead swapping around, this was too close to call up until the very end and was definitely a nail-biter. Phil was surely a worthy opponent and after all, he did mention he had a good "last run" at the end of the show. Indeed, you certainly achieved a lot more than what you did back in 1986, and I'm sure that's all that matters. I will always remember you for pushing yourself to achieve that lone century at the end of your Octochamp run and made Nick Hewer proud. Hopefully, you will be invited back to the next Championship of Champions, you surely have a lot of potential!

One half of the Semi-Finals is known already with Leo sent off to battle against Sam on Thursday, but who will face Luke on Wednesday in the other match? Will it be "another veteran of Countdown but younger and more famous" Ian Volante or "certainly doesn't do freestyle on the show" Ryan Styles? Could it be another close match as per what we've seen today? Find out then!

Progress:
QF1 (10 December): Luke Johnson-Davies (#1) vs David Kempshall (#8) (136 - 89)
QF2 (11 December): Sam Cappleman-Lynes (#2) vs Damien Doughty (#7) (121 - 71)
QF3 (14 December): Leo Smith (#3) vs Phil Hulme (#6) (91 - 80)
QF4 (15 December): Ian Volante (#4) vs Ryan Styles (#5)
SF1 (16 December): Luke Johnson-Davies (QF1 Winner) vs (QF4 Winner)
SF2 (17 December): Sam Cappleman-Lynes (QF2 Winner) vs Leo Smith (QF3 Winner)
GF (18 December): (SF1 Winner) vs (SF2 Winner)
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

Great game! Both played very well and Phil was very unlucky that the 6S didn't pay off in the end.

ROMNEYAS/MOREANAS in R7
PEDALIST in R8
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

So far the top seeds getting through so far!