Spoilers for Thursday 19th December 2019 (Series 81, SF2)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ray Wilding
Devotee

Spoilers for Thursday 19th December 2019 (Series 81, SF2)

Post by Ray Wilding »

Jamie Wing v Paul Nixon
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 19th December 2019 (Series 81, SF2)

Post by Ray Wilding »

DIABOLUS in R1.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Simple alt 3rd numbers: (50-8)x9 :)
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

The COMEAFTER conundrum was the final conundrum at my first ever Co-event. So I got it on about 0.1 seconds.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

The penultimate episode of Series 81, 2019 and the 2010s of Normal Countdown! And we've got a hilarious Dictionary Corner Guest Tim Vine to wrap things up soon! (Oh gosh all the puns in his anecdote today, makes you wonder how Jamie and Paul survived listening to that, it would certainly throw me off not to say the least :lol: )

Letters: Jamie takes an early stumble with paciness in Round 2 but was redeemed big time with PACEMEN in Round 13 because that certainly breaked the deadlock that lasted from Round 3 until then! In all fairness, there were so many Maxes that were obscure and I don't think any of them would have gotten those which probably explains the prolonged tie. Finally, a commendable spot of RUINATOR from both Jamie and Paul in Round 10!

Numbers: I guess we're not going to see anything out of the blue here with both players today, like yesterday sticking with what they know best. With Jamie beating Paul in Round 3 the game evens out and in Round 6, hmm I'm sure I have seen the solution somewhere in the Finals earlier... ;) Then came to the all important Round 14...and Paul blanks out!! :o With Jamie getting his declared target he's over the line and the six small "gamble" (Not really one since that's Paul's speciality) has backfired and the game is decided! :(

Conundrum: With Jamie narrowly surviving he's through to face James tomorrow! And I'm so glad the game wasn't tied until the very end since I bet both contestants would probably be stuck for some time until someone solves the conundrum. This one was too difficult for me, and COME AFTER me it sure did as I was left clueless as to what the answer was.

I predicted this would be too close to call with the margin at 15 points so I couldn't predict who would win. In the end, Jamie won with the margin at 14 points! What an incredible game that was, and James' words in the Daily Chat yesterday proved to be so true, with both contestants scores tied all the way from Round 3 all the way to Round 13 and with the unfortunate slip-up from Paul in Round 14, it was certainly game over. :( Paul, you were absolutely on top form from start to finish, and I'm sorry that the ending was what cost you the game and the spot in the Grand Final. However, I'm sure you have made your dad proud. 22 Years ago you walked away empty-handed after just one game, now you walk away with not only that Octochamp status, but also a Teapot and that "Krypton" Finalist Piece. :) Hopefully, if you have the chance to return for the next CoC in a few years time, remember to ask your dad to support you!

One more game of the 2010s, and look at this, for five Consecutive Series now, the Grand Final has consisted of both the #1 and #2 Seed. There is, one bigger question looming in all of our heads: Will this be the third Series in a row where the #2 Seed dramatically beats the #1 Seed in the Crucial Conundrum and lifts up the Richard Whiteley Memorial Trophy or will the #1 Seed take the day once more? It's another Postgrad vs Undergrad and Maths Whizz vs Human Dicionary showdown. Expect a full room, don't miss it!

Progress:
QF1 (12 December): James Haughton (#1) vs David Law (#8) (147 - 60)
QF2 (13 December): Jamie Wing (#2) vs Tom Silverlock (#7) (121 - 78)
QF3 (16 December): Paul Nixon (#3) vs John Osmond (#6) (117 - 102)
QF4 (17 December): Morgan Sauer (#4) vs Andy Evans (#5) (78 - 77)
SF1 (18 December): James Haughton (QF1 Winner) vs Morgan Sauer (QF4 Winner) (113 - 79)
SF2 (19 December): Jamie Wing (QF2 Winner) vs Paul Nixon (QF3 Winner) (91 - 77)
GF (20 December): James Haughton (SF1 Winner) vs Jamie Wing (SF2 Winner)
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

Thanks for your brilliant write-ups throughout the finals Ryan - really good and entertaining!

I agree with everything you say here - a great game which probably could have gone either way, both these players were very good (and both with octotals which would have made them no 1 seed in many series) so I agree I hope we'll see Paul back in the CoC one day.

Looking forward to the last show of the decade later today! - unlike the last two series, I can't see the number 1 seed losing this time, but stranger things have happened :D
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Carl Harrison wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:38 am Thanks for your brilliant write-ups throughout the finals Ryan - really good and entertaining!

I agree with everything you say here - a great game which probably could have gone either way, both these players were very good (and both with octotals which would have made them no 1 seed in many series) so I agree I hope we'll see Paul back in the CoC one day.

Looking forward to the last show of the decade later today! - unlike the last two series, I can't see the number 1 seed losing this time, but stranger things have happened :D
Thanks, glad to see someone appreciates it! For your last sentence, I mean I'll be frank, I couldn't see Elliott losing in any way either until the Finale aired which as we all know was heartbreaking...