Spoilers for Friday 28th June 2019 (S80, Grand Final!)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Tom S
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Friday 28th June 2019 (S80, Grand Final!)

Post by Tom S »

Undoubtedly a battle hetween the 2 big guns of the series, Elliott and Dinos, who have both played superbly in the series, leading me to suspect that we are in for a masterclass of displays. The stats undoubtedly point in Elliott's favour, but anyone who says that Dinos has no chance at providing competition is off the mark in my opinion.

We shall see- look forward to it all,
Tom.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Friday 28th June 2019 (S80, Grand Final!)

Post by Owen Carroll »

It's finally here!!!
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Cracking final. Dinos you played your socks off today. Elliott you are undoubtedly one of the best of the best. Really good series, congrats to Team Countdown for it....
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Superb contest chaps, very tense exciting game between two very brilliant, very modest players. Many congrats Dinos on becoming series champ 8-) and well done Elliott on becoming series runner-up and breaking the high score record during your run. :) Well done Team Countdown on another splendid series. :D
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

All I can say is you both played so well and should be very proud with what you've done. I can't wait to see you too back for the next COC
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

What a game!

What we've learned from S69 and S80 is: setting a record Octorun mitigates against your prospects of winning the series!
Unlucky Elliott, and well played both! Great dramatic game.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

A real nailbiter game with two exceptional players! Huge congratulations to Dinos who played a blinder and held his nerve under what must have been incredible pressure. And commiserations to Elliott - a fantastic player, and one whose achievements will be on the record books for a very long time! Look forward to seeing more of both of you in the years to come.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

I'll save my comments in my Review which should be up in the next few hours but just for those wondering if Elliott could have won had he gone for the nine in R1, I did the calculations and unfortunately, it turns out he would have still lost with the score 93 - 95 at the end if everything remained the same.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Great game. Well done to both!
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Great final by you both, first of all I would like to offer Dinos my congratulations for a cracking contest, secondly commiserations to Elliott a fantastic player whose achievements will be there for a long time to come. Looking forward to seeing you both in later years to come.
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Loved the look of confusion/momentary self doubt on Dinos' face when Elliott declared 7 in the TREASURE round.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

So here we are, the last weekday of June and the Grand Final has arrived upon us. Both contestants are titans and both of them have the potential to lift the Richard Whiteley Memorial Trophy. Fingers crossed and let's go!

Letters: Very, very unlucky for Elliott as he didn't risk FILATURES in R1 which was the game's only sole nine! :( Nevertheless, good spot in the next round with both getting URBANITE and afterwards, Elliott clambers back with COALISED in R4. Sadly, it was Dinos who proved to be stronger here on the other hand, with TREASURE to beat the former's noteworthy AERATES in R5 and with GOATISH in R8. However, his safe territory got munched away after he went with forestudy late in the game, leaving Elliott a chance to still beat him! (Some people on the Daily Chat were questioning why on Earth did he do that...)

Numbers: I predicted for all the Rounds today, the combination would be six small but that's not what happened. Dinos makes R3 look easy with him solving perfectly, beating Elliott for the first time in a Numbers Round! :o Applause rings out in the studio after he does that. Elliott then goes for the ultimate gamble in R9: 4L and CECIL gives a hard target but both contestants manage to get one away with him still behind. :( After CECIL generates an easy target for R14, Dinos isn't out of danger yet with Elliott still clinging on!

Conundrum: For the fourth Series in a row, the Grand Final ends in a crucial conundrum...it's not over as Elliott can still force a tiebreaker which has happened in Series 69. Elliott doesn't get it immediately and with the time still ticking and with me struggling to solve it I hear Dinos buzzing in. Without hesitation he says TABBOULEH...*Gasps* He could be right!! IT IS!! :o With screams and cheers in the audience (not to mention me doing the same too) the number two seed, for the second Series in a row, becomes the Grand Champion!

This was a close fight indeed as I had predicted. Like many of you who voted in the Finals Prediction Thread, I also went with Elliott and that he would take home the Trophy after escaping a Crucial Conundrum (i.e. Margin of around 10 points). That proved to be completely wrong with Dinos lifting the coveted Trophy instead with the margin at 20 points.

2019 has proven to be a Year where the Underdogs have won on Major TV Quiz Shows. First on University Challenge, then on Only Connect and now, Countdown! To start off with Elliott, it's a shame that you lost and just like Martin May last year, everyone had been predicting you to be the eventual winner. Sadly that proved not to be the case and you did seem a bit dejected and emotional at the end. :( Commiserations on your loss but hey, you absolutely gave your best performance. Even though I've only ever played with you once (or perhaps more I can't remember) on Apterous, your skills back in 2018 were more supreme than any other player I've came across up to that point. Indeed, you lived up to your reputation and name on-screen, went on to break many records and most importantly, gave many audiences at home (myself included) a reason to like and watch Countdown. :) You've been an absolute smasher and it's unfortunate you couldn't become the highest-ever Xicount. Nevertheless, your total of 1373 points in 11 Games is the BEST any Finalist has ever racked up! :) You should be proud of yourself! Looking forward to hear more from you on Apterous in the near future!

As for Dinos, just like Zarte Siempre around this time last year, your return has paid off big and after 12 years when we last saw you (Minus the Special), you've came back stronger than ever and no doubt you were absolutely on fire in this game! The sign of joy when you slumped back into your chair after getting the conundrum to take the title of "Grand Champion of Series 80" was possibly the best reaction I've seen from any eventual winner over the last two years! :) Once again, Congratulations!!! :D Hopefully you'll inspire your students to come on the show in the near future! :)

With that, Series 80 comes to a close on a high note not before mentioning the fact that Elliott broke two more records earlier, the all-time record score in Countdown with 152 and becoming the first Octochamp to crash the 1000 Barrier. As I mentioned before when he broke the latter record, both records will definitely stand for a long time to come, dare I say in my lifetime as well! Series 81 begins on Monday, 01 July 2019 and Imogen Gordon is back seeking her fourth win! May the second-half of 2019 be as fun as the first-half for Countdown! :)

Progress:
QF1 (20 June): Elliott Mellor (#1) vs Mark Decouto (#8) (109 - 73)
QF2 (21 June): Dinos Sfyris (#2) vs Sandra Pilson (#7) (118 - 71)
QF3 (24 June): Brendan Whitehurst (#3) vs Steven Turnbull (#6) (58 - 57)
QF4 (25 June): Maggie Barlow (#4) vs Fiona Titcombe (#5) (98 - 78)
SF1 (26 June): Elliott Mellor (QF1 Winner) vs Maggie Barlow (QF4 Winner) (120 - 80)
SF2 (27 June): Dinos Sfyris (QF2 Winner) vs Brendan Whitehurst (QF3 Winner) (103 - 78)
GF (28 June): Elliott Mellor (SF1 Winner) vs Dinos Sfyris (SF2 Winner) (83 - 103)
Last edited by Ryan Lam on Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Thanks for all the kind messages all. It was never going to be an easy task playing someone with the capability of Dinos, that's one thing. He really brought out his A game and on the day handled the pressure better - deserved winner of that game.

I was indeed the favourite for this game, and it was nice to be number 1 seed. A lot were expecting me to win, but in this game nothing is certain and in any case making the final isn't to be sneezed at. Disappointed? Perhaps a touch, should have seen TREASURE but the pressure was huge and I can't really put it better than that, to suddenly have your opponent produce a brilliant 6 small solve and to be behind for the first time is tough. But excuses aside, Dinos played very well so many congratulations to him :)

There's a few people in this community I couldn't have gotten this far without and it's only fair to mention them - particular mentions to Fred, Luke, Bra for coming to support and just generally being utterly, utterly amazing mates. To Cal for taking time off being God to watch me. To Toby for the continued support and amazing friendship (and well, just being you), to Tracey for reminding me how much of a hag I am, Fiona for just being an absolute delight, JWynn (demigod), Ian (effortlessly coolness level 10000), Marcus (you're not so bad really ;) ) and Aidan the cabbage/lettuce thing too played a role in my happiness and ability to perform. You all really make the community worth it to me and I love you all.

Maggie deserves a mention too - one of the loveliest people I've ever known.

Also the enthusiasm of Ronan deserves a mention - keep at it ;)

Here's to a good few more years of Countdowning! :D
Simon Le Fort
Rookie

Post by Simon Le Fort »

I think Dinos's FORESTUDY was a very fair risk. He would have thought his opponent had 8 and probably only had 7 himself. It would be interesting to know whether Elliott had an 8 up his sleeve? He declared a safe 7, of course.
Jason William Larsen
Rookie

Post by Jason William Larsen »

Congratulations to Dinos for pulling off a stunning upset!
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Fantastic final, both of you.

I'm glad I avoided spoilers for this final, although after Elliott's octorun if anyone had spoilered it I probably wouldn't have believed them that anyone else could have won the Elliott Mellor show. Huge congratulations, Dinos. And Elliott, despite today, you're one of the all time greats of this game, and that octorun record will still stand for years.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:50 pm Thanks for all the kind messages all. It was never going to be an easy task playing someone with the capability of Dinos, that's one thing. He really brought out his A game and on the day handled the pressure better - deserved winner of that game.

I was indeed the favourite for this game, and it was nice to be number 1 seed. A lot were expecting me to win, but in this game nothing is certain and in any case making the final isn't to be sneezed at. Disappointed? Perhaps a touch, should have seen TREASURE but the pressure was huge and I can't really put it better than that, to suddenly have your opponent produce a brilliant 6 small solve and to be behind for the first time is tough. But excuses aside, Dinos played very well so many congratulations to him :)

There's a few people in this community I couldn't have gotten this far without and it's only fair to mention them - particular mentions to Fred, Luke, Bra for coming to support and just generally being utterly, utterly amazing mates. To Cal for taking time off being God to watch me. To Toby for the continued support and amazing friendship (and well, just being you), to Tracey for reminding me how much of a hag I am, Fiona for just being an absolute delight, JWynn (demigod), Ian (effortlessly coolness level 10000), Marcus (you're not so bad really ;) ) and Aidan the cabbage/lettuce thing too played a role in my happiness and ability to perform. You all really make the community worth it to me and I love you all.

Out of curiosity Elliott, do you know if Dinos was wondering about filatures as well?
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:50 pm Thanks for all the kind messages all. It was never going to be an easy task playing someone with the capability of Dinos, that's one thing. He really brought out his A game and on the day handled the pressure better - deserved winner of that game.

We love you Elliott and I am very honoured to have you as a friend and a member of the countdown community, you did brilliant in your run be proud of that for many years to come.
Last edited by Tracey Anne Mills on Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Huge congratulations to Dinos, quite a feat to beat Elliott. Restricting him to three vowels must have been the grand plan, well done.
By the way, did I mention that I was the only one to correctly forecast your win in the other thread :)
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:50 pm
<3

Can't add much to what's already been said - it was a great final and some achievement by Dinos - congratulations!

And Elliott, the replies in this thread are good proof that you'll be remembered primarily for your records and playing your part in an entertaining final - losing to a player like Dinos is nothing to be ashamed of :D
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Chris Wylie

Post by Chris Wylie »

It was a wonderful final. We were pleased for Dinos, but sad for Elliot who had made this such a memorable series of Countdown. Elliot, despite his obvious disappointment, was gracious as ever and is a credit to the younger generation. Well done both of you on providing some great entertainment!
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Lovely post Elliott - and one that perfectly demonstrates why you're such a well-liked member of the community. :)
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

That was so thrilling to watch!

Dinos - One of the first friends I made when I started playing countdown over ten years ago. You're a thoroughly nice bloke and from what I see it looks like you've become a great dad too recently. I'm glad they let you back on, and was thrilled to see you smash it. Well done m8.

Elliott - Never met you but by all accounts you seem like a top guy and maybe I'll be lucky to meet you one day. Your records are actually mind boggling and you should be forever proud of that. If you feel a bit sore after losing a final, don't worry it gets better quite quickly! I've been there. Just keep loving the game and the people that play it :)
Mike Daysley
Series 79 Champion

Post by Mike Daysley »

Only managed to see this final yesterday but have to say "wow" what a game. Could sense the pressure Elliot was feeling and wasn't easy to watch a couple of times when it seemed to be getting to him.
Dinos played, as always, with a smile on his face and taking punts on risky words which is so great to watch. Congratulations to everyone involved in the finals and it's an honour to have my name on the trophy between Zarte and Dinos.
Jason William Larsen
Rookie

Post by Jason William Larsen »

You're not bad at Countdown yourself, Mike!