Series 80 Finals Predictions (Contains Spoilers!)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Who do you think will be the Grand Champion of Series 80?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:01 pm

Elliott Mellor
93%
Dinos Sfyris
7%
Brendan Whitehurst
No votes
Maggie Barlow
No votes
Fiona Titcombe
No votes
Steven Turnbull
No votes
Sandra Pilson
No votes
Mark Decouto
No votes

Total votes: 15

Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Series 80 Finals Predictions (Contains Spoilers!)

Post by Ryan Lam »

So, with just three Preliminaries of Series 80 yet to air as of the time of writing, we now know who are the final eight and here they are:

Quarter-Finals #1 (20 June): Elliott Mellor (#1 Seed) vs Mark Decouto (#8 Seed)
Quarter-Finals #2 (21 June): Dinos Sfyris (#2 Seed) vs Sandra Pilson (#7 Seed)
Quarter-Finals #3 (24 June): Brendan Whitehurst (#3 Seed) vs Steven Turnbull (#6 Seed)
Quarter-Finals #4 (25 June): Maggie Barlow (#4 Seed) vs Fiona Titcombe (#5 Seed)

If you would like to have an analysis of how each of the eight players did in their Preliminaries feel free to head over here (Many thanks to Tom S for doing it once again!): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13302&sid=56f19337f ... df087a925a

This is perhaps another strong Series given the fact it's shorter than usual (With only 106 Prelims), yet we have seen so much action, not to mention Elliott being the first ever player in the 36.5 year history of the show to score more than 1000 Points and two female Octochamps, to which they'll be battling out on Tuesday, 25 June (I can't remember when was the last time this has ever happened!) :) The wait is almost over since the recordings took place on 18 and 19 March!

I'm not going to be sharing any predictions and will be writing a review of the episode each day as per the last Series once again, so if you have any feel free to post them here! :)

(P.S. The poll will close on the day the Grand Final airs, so if you happen to be reading this in the near future, apologies but you will not be able to cast since the result is known.)
Tom S
Kiloposter

Re: Series 80 Finals Predictions (Contains Spoilers!)

Post by Tom S »

Ryan Lam wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:01 pm
If you would like to have an analysis of how each of the eight players did in their Preliminaries feel free to head over here (Many thanks to Tom S for doing it once again!): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13302&sid=56f19337f ... df087a925a
Hey Ryan, I will do an update with Sandra and Mark's profiles ASAP :)
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

The only qf I'm uncertain about is the last one.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Ryan Lam wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:01 pm So, with just three Preliminaries of Series 80 yet to air as of the time of writing, we now know who are the final eight and here they are:

Quarter-Finals #1 (20 June): Elliott Mellor (#1 Seed) vs Mark Decouto (#8 Seed)
Quarter-Finals #2 (21 June): Dinos Sfyris (#2 Seed) vs Sandra Pilson (#7 Seed)
Quarter-Finals #3 (24 June): Brendan Whitehurst (#3 Seed) vs Steven Turnbull (#6 Seed)
Quarter-Finals #4 (25 June): Maggie Barlow (#4 Seed) vs Fiona Titcombe (#5 Seed)

This is perhaps another strong Series given the fact it's shorter than usual (With only 106 Prelims), yet we have seen so much action, not to mention Elliott being the first ever player in the 36.5 year history of the show to score more than 1000 Points and two female Octochamps, to which they'll be battling out on Tuesday, 25 June (I can't remember when was the last time this has ever happened!) :) The wait is almost over since the recordings took place on 18 and 19 March!

I'm not going to be sharing any predictions and will be writing a review of the episode each day as per the last Series once again, so if you have any feel free to post them here! :)

(P.S. The poll will close on the day the Grand Final airs, so if you happen to be reading this in the near future, apologies but you will not be able to cast since the result is known.)
Looking forward to your reviews Ryan!! Also, the last time two female octochamps played in series finals was series 67! But the next series was the last time two female finalists played each other! (But one of them wasn't an octochamp)
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

All stat files uploaded now....
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Good luck to all the finalists! Haven't watched an episode all series but will be tuning in. Good luck especially to the lady from Blackwater - just up the road from me :)
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Martin Hurst wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:28 pm Good luck to all the finalists! Haven't watched an episode all series but will be tuning in. Good luck especially to the lady from Blackwater - just up the road from me :)
Thank you! :)
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

So there you have it, Dinos Sfyris is our Series 80 Champion! Congratulations to that one person who rooted for him to win (Which I think it's Chris from the Daily Chat) ;) So, just like Series 79, most of us got it wrong yet again! :( (I hope this trend isn't going to continue into the Series 81 Finals in December!)
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Ryan Lam wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:59 pm So there you have it, Dinos Sfyris is our Series 80 Champion! Congratulations to that one person who rooted for him to win (Which I think it's Chris from the Daily Chat) ;) So, just like Series 79, most of us got it wrong yet again! :( (I hope this trend isn't going to continue into the Series 81 Finals in December!)
No, it was me. I always thought he could do it, and as it turned out his tactical nous won through. Well done Dinos.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:44 am No, it was me. I always thought he could do it, and as it turned out his tactical nous won through. Well done Dinos.
Ah I see, well congratulations to you! I thought it was Chris because he was the only one openly rooting for Dinos to win in the Daily Chat last Friday when the Grand Final aired!
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Ryan Lam wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:14 pm
Ian Fitzpatrick wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:44 am No, it was me. I always thought he could do it, and as it turned out his tactical nous won through. Well done Dinos.
Ah I see, well congratulations to you! I thought it was Chris because he was the only one openly rooting for Dinos to win in the Daily Chat last Friday when the Grand Final aired!
Yeah I remember Chris rooting for Dinos.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Owen Carroll wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:50 pm
Ryan Lam wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:14 pm
Yeah I remember Chris rooting for Dinos.
I don't do Apto stuff.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum