Spoilers for Monday 21 January 2019 (COC XV, SF 2)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Monday 21 January 2019 (COC XV, SF 2)

Post by Thomas Carey »

BRADLEY HORROCKS

TOM CHAFER-COOK

SERIES 77 FINAL REMATCH

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOO

(8 of 9 people who predicted this SF guessed a win for Tom)
cheers maus
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Monday 21 January 2019 (COC XV, SF 2)

Post by Owen Carroll »

I think I've had enough rematches😂😂😂
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Penultimate episode of the Championship of Champions XV (and that also means it's also nearly time for me to once again become inactive until early-May after tomorrow as University swallows up my time). Second Semi-Finals Match where I somehow correctly predicted Bradley and definitely correctly predicted Tom to go through to the Semi-Finals. (As I initially predicted Ann would win against John, and it's weird because I remember predicting in the scenario had Ann fought Bradley the former would barely win but what I typed was the opposite! :shock: Maybe it's because of my viral fever back in mid-December 2018 when I typed my Predictions but nevermind back to the present...)

So, this is the third rematch of the whole CoC, the Series 77 Grand Final repeat since 22 December 2017 (Johnny if you're reading this, I so envy you that you beat me to recapping this back then ;) ), 395 days since then and we're here, except role reversal of course which you already know if you read my previous review (and the one before too).

Bradley has an early setback with Tom's UNASKED, the last time round it was vice versa and hats off to Rachel for tricking both of them into thinking there was a possible solution for R3 :lol: . Excellent spot from the both of them with GODIZES but why are we having "7"s as the Max all the way? Nevermind and later, Tom has nothing in R9 and Bradley snatches the lead with an easy solution! (In fact, everyone on the Daily Chat (minus him of course) failed to get the target!) :o After R11, it seemed that we were heading for a low Max game with no one yet to spot an eight-letter word until R12 came with the IMPERIALS (Cue that 'Star Wars' song), then whoa Bradley, ATHEROMA, for the first time Tom is in danger of losing! Bradley must get R14 to go through and he did it! 1 - 1, fair and square, although tbf when Tom got PHLEBITIS in the Conundrum I realised that Bradley literally dodged a bullet there.

Commiserations Tom, what can I say, you were one of the better players in this Championship and came up with many excellent words throughout the last fortnight, but alas when it came to meeting your former opponent Bradley, he was definitely more than prepared to face you once again, and boy did he dish out "revenge" by beating you. :( I'm sorry that it had to end like this and on all days, someone who you've beaten before. While the first two rematches in this Championship saw the same outcome, this one was definitely hard to swallow for me, primarily because knowing how you've done so well in Series 77 itself, you were outclassed on this occasion. However, I'm sure as you retreat back into the audience to watch the Championship Final, I'm sure you can be proud of yourself knowing you maintained a century for all your games here and created the 4th Double Century game in the Championship. Hopefully you will cheer on for both him and Zarte for tomorrow! :) As for Bradley, congratulations, the winner becomes the defeated and vice versa, I'm sure that's how life sometimes works and it worked in your favour today, beating someone who defeated you before is definitely not easy and to advance all the way to the Championship Final must be a dream come true for you, if not something you would've probably never imagined!

At last, in just less than 24 Hours time, the 15th Championship of Champions will draw to a close, the 15th Champion will be crowned. Will it be Zarte Siempre, the highest Xicount and the highest scorer of Countdown ever, or will it be Bradley Horrocks, who defeated two out of three of his contenders in his Finals including the very guy who won to take the Grand Champion title of Series 77 right here? This is a Final you surely cannot miss! It's going to be a ultimate showdown, sparks will definitely fly in some way or another you bet! :)

Progress:
Preliminary #1 (02 January): Jonathan Wynn (Series 73 Grand Champion) vs Phil Davies (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (103 - 68)
Preliminary #2 (03 January): Ann Dibben (Series 74 Runner-Up) vs John Cowen (Series 77 Semi-Finalist) (94 - 97)
Preliminary #3 (04 January): Matthew Tassier (Series 73 Runner-Up) vs Dougie Mackay (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (96 - 78)
Preliminary #4 (07 January): Thomas Carey (Series 73 Semi-Finalist) vs Stephen Read (Series 76 Grand Champion) (106 - 87)
Preliminary #5 (08 January): Paul Erdunast (Series 74 Grand Champion) vs Zarte Siempre (Series 78 Grand Champion) (105 - 113)
Preliminary #6 (09 January): Tom Chafer-Cook (Series 77 Grand Champion) vs Martin Hurst (Series 75 Grand Champion) (129 - 89)
Preliminary #7 (10 January): Bradley Horrocks (Series 77 Runner-Up) vs Andrew Macleod (Series 75 Runner-Up) (128 - 104)
Preliminary #8 (11 January): Philip Aston (Series 78 Runner-Up) vs Noel McIlvenny (Series 77 Semi-Finalist) (103 - 89)
Quarter-Finals #1 (14 January): Jonathan Wynn (Preliminary #1 Winner) vs Philip Aston (Preliminary #8 Winner) (92 - 110)
Quarter-Finals #2 (15 January): John Cowen (Preliminary #2 Winner) vs Bradley Horrocks (Preliminary #7 Winner) (96 - 99)
Quarter-Finals #3 (16 January): Matthew Tassier (Preliminary #3 Winner) vs Tom Chafer-Cook (Preliminary #6 Winner) (62 - 111)
Quarter-Finals #4 (17 January): Thomas Carey (Preliminary #4 Winner) vs Zarte Siempre (Preliminary #5 Winner) (122 - 150) (RECORD!!!)
Semi-Finals #1 (18 January): Philip Aston (Quarter-Finals #1 Winner) vs Zarte Siempre (Quarter-Finals #4 Winner) (73 - 106)
Semi-Finals #2 (21 January): Bradley Horrocks (Quarter-Finals #2 Winner) vs Tom Chafer-Cook (Quarter-Finals #3 Winner) (111 - 110)
Championship Final (22 January): Zarte Siempre (Semi-Finals #1 Winner) vs Bradley Horrocks (Semi-Finals #2 Winner)
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

Amazing game both on solid form, congrats on top 4 Tom and so looking forward to this final. 4 lots of 6 small? :D :D
Ryan Lam wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:30 pm Tom has nothing in R9 and Bradley snatches the lead with an easy solution! (In fact, everyone on the Daily Chat (minus him of course) failed to get the target!)
So it was an easy solution, yet nobody got it? Can't have been that easy then, surely? :? :geek: :| :|
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Congrats Bradley. Commiserations tom. But it's gotta be better if you're losing to a good mate than someone you don't know.
Good luck Bradley and Zarte tomorrow.
P.S. I only scored in 4 rounds today.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Super game, well done chaps. Great match play by Bradley once again :) Well done Tom on making the final four 8-)
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Jojo Apollo wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:45 pm Super game, well done chaps. Great match play by Bradley once again :) Well done Tom on making the final four 8-)
Even better, he made the final three!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

What a game. Wow. Game of the championship for me - really couldn't call that one way or the other.

Tom - to lose with 110 is a real shame and that conundrum solve at the end was amazing, totally beat me there. You've been brilliant to watch, always smiling and generally very amiable. :)

Bra - give yourself a pat on the back, super performance all round, the numbers especially but also ATHEROMA - super spot. I look forward to seeing you in the final!!! :D :D
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Thanks everyone. It was a great game, not sure about the best Elliott, I remember a guy breaking a record last week!
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Alexa, define “looks harder than it is”.

“I found 7 8 2 10 10 6 —> 982.”
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

No-one used the standard method for the last numbers. Tom looked like he was doing it but then got waylaid.

(100+4)×(9-75/25)=624.

Tom managed the 9-75/25 OK but then added it to the 100 along with the 50 and multiplied by 4.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

George Pryn wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:45 pm Amazing game both on solid form, congrats on top 4 Tom and so looking forward to this final. 4 lots of 6 small? :D :D
Ryan Lam wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:30 pm Tom has nothing in R9 and Bradley snatches the lead with an easy solution! (In fact, everyone on the Daily Chat (minus him of course) failed to get the target!)
So it was an easy solution, yet nobody got it? Can't have been that easy then, surely? :? :geek: :| :|
How many people were on Daily Chat?
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:39 pm
George Pryn wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:45 pm Amazing game both on solid form, congrats on top 4 Tom and so looking forward to this final. 4 lots of 6 small? :D :D
Excuse me
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

George Pryn wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:55 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:39 pm

Excuse me
I was just wondering you know. Not saying it was easy!