Spoilers for Friday 18th January 2019 (COC XV, SF 1)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Friday 18th January 2019 (COC XV, SF 1)

Post by Thomas Carey »

Martin Hurst
Acolyte
Spoilers for Thursday 1st March 2018
Report this post Quote
Post 01 Mar 2018, 08:04

Philip Aston v Zarte Siempre!

Even more exciting than a snow day at work!

Very interested to see what happens if it goes to a crucial..... :)

Ray Wilding
Enthusiast
Spoilers for Friday 22nd June 2018 (Series 78, GRAND FINAL)
Report this post Quote
Post 22 Jun 2018, 14:10

Zarte Siempre vs Philip Aston

We have a rematch in the final, Zarte came out on top previously - will he make it 2/2, or will Philip get his own back?

-------

On this historic anniversary of another COC rematch (Jen hammering Callum uta) we have the second non-special threematch in history. Zarte obviously leads Philip 2-0 so far, but what will happen in this incarnation?

Hopefully you're all well on your way to COLIN. Zarte sure is, staring pensively out of the window at the fields of East Anglia, thinking about Philip's iconic Aston Arms no doubt. Can he beat the strongest version of Philip he's ever had to face and leave him with a 9-3 televised win/loss record where all three are the same lad, or will Philip do what he's come so close to twice and surely must feel like he deserves? Everyone predicting this game (just me!) said Zarte, but I don't know anything about anything. Either way you've got an emotionally charged game coming up. See all the relevant ones of you at COLIN, very soon!!!!!

"The train is wobbling so much that the toilet door just managed to open itself" - E. Siempre, 18 January 2019, 13:26pm GMT
cheers maus
George Pryn
Acolyte

Re: Spoilers for Friday 18th January 2019 (COC XV, SF 1)

Post by George Pryn »

I thought 4L was easy Zarte? ;)
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

Love the Bye at the end there, steamrolled it Zarte!

Great effort Philip you came across really well and getting to the SF of CoC is mad

Love it
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

So there we are, down to the last three episodes. First Semi-Finals Match where I correctly predicted Philip and Zarte would come through to the Semi-Finals. (Sorry Jonathan, I did predict you would buckle and lose to the former. :( )
Thomas Carey wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:31 pm Hopefully you're all well on your way to COLIN...See all the relevant ones of you at COLIN, very soon!!!!!
This probably explains why Apterous was so damn empty today and Stephen, for the first time in a long, long while wasn't there to host the chat. Nevertheless, life still goes on there and I wish all those who are participating in COLIN the best of luck! :)
Thomas Carey wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:31 pm On this historic anniversary of another COC rematch (Jen hammering Callum uta) we have the second non-special threematch in history. Zarte obviously leads Philip 2-0 so far, but what will happen in this incarnation?
Indeed, this is only the 2nd time in 21 years that the two same players has had to face each other thrice! The first on 1 March 2018 and the second on 22 June 2018, 323 and 210 days respectively since those two episodes were broadcast and here we are once again, and the seating arrangement was just like what we all saw on the first occasion. In case you were wondering why Philip looked so weary or tired during the Introduction, he did mention in the daily chat that he had a stomachache before coming on.

With the score tied by the first TTT, I thought this was going to be a repeat of the Grand Final (It was 25 - 25 back then). Then, came an excellent spot of TRIENNIA. Oh dear, hard Numbers Round in R6 but Zarte could've actually grabbed some points according to Philip on the daily chat as he realised that he didn't make a mistake after all; I felt bad that his effort was wasted. :( Uh oh, there goes the tie with MODISTES from Zarte and another nine-letter killer with SIDEARMER! (Poor Philip, he did have the other two nine-letter words in that round but chickened it according to the daily chat once again. :( ) This was definitely not the situation he wanted to be in, and with him stumbling on the final Numbers round it was clearly over and Zarte once again wins, 3 - 0. However, Philip did end off humourously like his Quarter-Final opponent Jonathan with just a simple "Bye" in the Conundrum. :lol: On the other hand, sadly it's indeed goodbye as he has now suffered three defeats in a row, to the same person. :(

Well, third time's not a charm as Philip's off to be with the Audience for the remainder of the Championship, however you did fight valiantly until the very end. While this may have been the worst margin out of the three matches, I'm sure at least you can heave a sigh of relief, knowing that given how your opponent broke so many records yesterday, mentally you might have been preparing for the worst and when it did come, you knew how to handle it. :) I just hope there's no more Philip vs Zarte thingy, unless a 50th Birthday Championship (I know, it's like 14 years down the road still and provided the show survives then and hopefully I'm still around) pops up, personally because I would rather see new battles rather than old ones.

Speaking of that, we've got another REMATCH on our hands in the penultimate episode and the other Semi-Finals, and it's the previous Series' Grand Final battle! Role Reversal once again as Runner-up Bradley takes Grand Champion Tom Chafer-Cook's seat and vice versa. Hopefully it's going to be another Grand performance from both of them given how both Grand Finals' margin was 10 points or less by no strange coincidence! Two more episodes, we're definitely going into full throttle after this weekend!

Progress:
Preliminary #1 (02 January): Jonathan Wynn (Series 73 Grand Champion) vs Phil Davies (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (103 - 68)
Preliminary #2 (03 January): Ann Dibben (Series 74 Runner-Up) vs John Cowen (Series 77 Semi-Finalist) (94 - 97)
Preliminary #3 (04 January): Matthew Tassier (Series 73 Runner-Up) vs Dougie Mackay (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (96 - 78)
Preliminary #4 (07 January): Thomas Carey (Series 73 Semi-Finalist) vs Stephen Read (Series 76 Grand Champion) (106 - 87)
Preliminary #5 (08 January): Paul Erdunast (Series 74 Grand Champion) vs Zarte Siempre (Series 78 Grand Champion) (105 - 113)
Preliminary #6 (09 January): Tom Chafer-Cook (Series 77 Grand Champion) vs Martin Hurst (Series 75 Grand Champion) (129 - 89)
Preliminary #7 (10 January): Bradley Horrocks (Series 77 Runner-Up) vs Andrew Macleod (Series 75 Runner-Up) (128 - 104)
Preliminary #8 (11 January): Philip Aston (Series 78 Runner-Up) vs Noel McIlvenny (Series 77 Semi-Finalist) (103 - 89)
Quarter-Finals #1 (14 January): Jonathan Wynn (Preliminary #1 Winner) vs Philip Aston (Preliminary #8 Winner) (92 - 110)
Quarter-Finals #2 (15 January): John Cowen (Preliminary #2 Winner) vs Bradley Horrocks (Preliminary #7 Winner) (96 - 99)
Quarter-Finals #3 (16 January): Matthew Tassier (Preliminary #3 Winner) vs Tom Chafer-Cook (Preliminary #6 Winner) (62 - 111)
Quarter-Finals #4 (17 January): Thomas Carey (Preliminary #4 Winner) vs Zarte Siempre (Preliminary #5 Winner) (122 - 150) (RECORD!!!)
Semi-Finals #1 (18 January): Philip Aston (Quarter-Finals #1 Winner) vs Zarte Siempre (Quarter-Finals #4 Winner) (73 - 106)
Semi-Finals #2 (21 January): Bradley Horrocks (Quarter-Finals #2 Winner) vs Tom Chafer-Cook (Quarter-Finals #3 Winner) <- Series 77 GF REMATCH
Championship Final (22 January): Zarte Siempre (Semi-Finals #1 Winner) vs (Semi-Finals #2 Winner)
Last edited by Ryan Lam on Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Congrats Zarte! You deserve to be in the final. Bad luck Philip. But you've done awesomely the whole way through!
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

I wonder why nick didn't mention this game being a rematch?
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Zarte just in total beast mode - maxing every letters round and losing just one round this championship in 45!

Philip - you've been a great sport and should be really proud of yourself - loved the "bye" at the end :)
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

From the wiki: "Siempre is the first contestant ever to be the same player 3 times."

So...congrats on being yourself consistently! :lol:
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Well I beat both contestants on the second numbers - first and probably only time this CoC...

975 for me, (75 + 2 + 1) x 25 x 50 / 100
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Great game chaps, well done Zarte on reaching the final and Philip on making the final four 8-)
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

You know you're reaching the critical stages of the CoC when Susie starts needing to define the conundrum answers. (This one is still unpencilled too!)
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:57 pm You know you're reaching the critical stages of the CoC when Susie starts needing to define the conundrum answers. (This one is still unpencilled too!)

Only 2 conundrums left though. That helps if people don't like Susie giving definitions.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:38 pm Well I beat both contestants on the second numbers - first and probably only time this CoC...

975 for me, (75 + 2 + 1) x 25 x 50 / 100
Thought Rachel was showboating a bit there. If you start with (25+1)/2=13 it doesn't look quite so clever.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

George Pryn wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:31 pm I thought 4L was easy Zarte? ;)
Ha! Tbf, I did have what I thought, just confused myself with my own writing...
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Lam wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:02 pm
Thomas Carey wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:31 pm On this historic anniversary of another COC rematch (Jen hammering Callum uta) we have the second non-special threematch in history. Zarte obviously leads Philip 2-0 so far, but what will happen in this incarnation?
Indeed, this is only the 2nd time in 21 years that the two same players has had to face each other thrice!
Natascha Kearsey v Pete Cashmore for those of you who are apoplectic with rage at these two.

Never post half of an interesting fact.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I thought Philip seemed a bit more subdued than usual in this game, like Zarte had given him a pre-match punch in the face. But at the end he was perfectly fine about the whole thing, so that's probably not what actually happened.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:26 pm I thought Philip seemed a bit more subdued than usual in this game, like Zarte had given him a pre-match punch in the face. But at the end he was perfectly fine about the whole thing, so that's probably not what actually happened.
He got a stomach ache before he went on set.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:57 pm
So what did you have?
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Owen Carroll wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:37 pm
So what did you have?
Same as Rachel, but I'd become convinced I'd used a 2 twice, despite one being a 100/50
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:43 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:37 pm

So what did you have?
Same as Rachel, but I'd become convinced I'd used a 2 twice, despite one being a 100/50
Impressive to get that close though! Nice job👍