Spoilers for Thursday 17th January 2019 (COC XV, QF 4)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday 17th January 2019 (COC XV, QF 4)

Post by Thomas Carey »

Deep in a dingy century old student accommodation in the heart of Cambridge, a strange man is currently shuffling down some old stone stairs to go and do a wee. A floor above, I sit in my room, missing my first lecture of term, typing this and eating his chocolate buttons. That man is the great and meaty Zarte Siempre, once again putting up with my ridiculously inaccessible student accommodation, because he had the very kind heart to come and watch the game with me. What game, you ask? Only the best thing to ever come out of a CoC.

Me vs Zarte. Maus vs mountain. Some other tagline. Ooh, Zarte's coming back up the stairs now. If you've seen us talk about the game, you've probably seen one of us say we basically just dicked around and most of it will probably get cut, and that remains the case. Let's go on this journey of discovery together. Regardless of this, it's not one to be missed. Even in terms of actual Countdown, if you're the kind of person who cares about that.

1 out of the 5 people who predicted it'd be this game has me winning it, cheers Graeme. Winner plays Philip tomorrow in the first semi final. Battle of the 1998 births or another Philip vs Zarte special? You'll find out shortly enough. But for now, watch this episode. Or Zarte will get you.
cheers maus
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 17th January 2019 (COC XV, QF 4)

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Thomas Carey wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:44 amOr Zarte will get you.
Yes I will.

Best spoiler thread EVAH
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Re: Spoilers for Thursday 17th January 2019 (COC XV, QF 4)

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Nice to see Conor Travers in the audience sitting behind Laverty.
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

Screw the game, who won the rock paper scissors tournament???
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Outstanding spoiler thread content.

World-class Round 3 content.

#MyBoys
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

Highest r6 score EVAH
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

122 going into OOW. On the edge of my sofa!!!!
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

HOLY SMOKES HE's ONLY GONE AND DONE IT

Amazing game

Incredible

Unreal

An event
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

An icon
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Oh my gosh!! The highest ever score on Countdown and the highest combined score ever! And this is not even the Championship Final yet!

Tears of joy are definitely in Zarte's eyes, you deserved it!! Never have I felt so emotional watching the ending! This will be a game remembered for many years, possibly decades to come! You're surely going into the History books on the show!
Joyce Phillips
Acolyte

Post by Joyce Phillips »

Wow! Amazing game from two amazing players. I should have been drinking something stronger than Bovril while watching that.
Brett Davids
Rookie

Post by Brett Davids »

Astonishing play from both. Tom almost looked guilty for taking the points for TIRAMISUS knowing the record was up for grabs.

And so it’s Zarte-Phil III tomorrow. Will it break the curse of the threequel?
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Before reading this, a word of advice from me that today's review is going to be SUPER, SUPER long as I will be doing a summary of what happened in the show as well. I assume you would've watched this episode IN FULL already. If not, DO NOT SCROLL FURTHER and why are you even in the Spoilers thread? :?

(Leaving blank spaces in case you have not watched it in full and accidentally came down here...)

Fourth and Final Quarter-Finals Match where I incorrectly predicted Stephen would go through (Thomas went through instead; Hopefully you don't mind me calling you that to prevent confusion with the other Tom) and I correctly predicted Zarte would go through.

Given both were #1 Seeds in their Series, this would surely be a stellar performance. I was so right...what a thrilling start with LARCENOUS from the two of them! Oh no, CECIL what the hell is wrong with you? This isn't a normal episode in an ordinary Series! Therefore, to kill time, play "Scissors Paper Stone" of course to let the whole country know that you're awesome and comical! :lol: Too bad the camera wasn't tilted at the right angle to show what was the outcome though...

After the first TTT, Zarte tried something "stupid" but wait, he had BLOWSIEST and DIVAGATED (The audible "Oohs" from the audience after the latter declaration). Oh my goodness, Thomas is now a whopping 36 points behind! And was done in by just those two words! :cry: At this rate he's going to lose miserably and might be looking for a white flag! As for Zarte, by the time the anecdote came around I and probably all of you too was/were asking at that point, could he crash 100 by the 2nd TTT? That's exceedingly rare and if so, could he go on to break the Countdown record set by Julian Fell in December 2002 and Conor Travers in March 2013? (Both finished at 146 on those occasions.) On with the game and ROULADES is another decent spot too! There he goes, over 100, all we hope is another nine (That's what those on the daily chat who did not see this episode being recorded back on 3 October 2018 were predicting.)

Last third, another good spot with FEARTIE. Comes the penultimate letters game, OMG THERE IS REALLY ANOTHER NINE (and it's my favourite type of cake too if you exclude chocolate!) Oh well, we're not going to see someone breaking the Max today after Thomas gets TIRAMISUS. He's back in the game and both have already crashed over a century, and we're still far from done! After CECIL gives an easy round in R14, we could see history being made! With Zarte at 140, all that separates him and the record of the highest scorer is the Conundrum. Will he do it or Thomas cruelly denies him that spot? Either way a record would still be broken, so I didn't really care who would get it. *Zarte buzzes* SEISMICAL? HE'S DONE IT!! HE'S FREAKING DONE IT!! *Applause in the Studio all round* Tbh, I nearly cried when I saw him hugging Thomas and with him nearly breaking down after realising what had happened.

150 is now the HIGHEST SCORE IN THE HISTORY OF COUNTDOWN! The joint score of 272: A NEW RECORD AS WELL, and guess what? We've come full circle, a full 17 years since the first game with a joint score of over 200 was made on the same day back in 2002 (Coincidence? I think not!) Thomas's losing score of 122 also topples that record held by Philip Aston (Sorry you had to relinquish it so soon) as the second-highest losing score in the history as well.

Zarte, I just want to let you know that you may have had difficulty coming on the show physically, but mentally you've never been and today was the day that you made history in the 35+ years of Countdown. You now officially follow the steps of people like Julian and Conor who've made their mark on the show ages ago, and today's game will certainly inspire a new generation of Countdowners to show their potential and one day, become a Champion like you've been. While you have suffered defeats before, you surely learnt from them, picked up from where you fell and made yourself to be stronger. Today, you can proudly claim that title of being the highest scorer on the show. Congratulations, you deserved the title and move one step closer to the Champion title in this Championship! (Can I also say thanks for also not teaching me to be so arrogant if you can remember what happened last year...)
Thomas Carey wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:44 am That man is the great and meaty Zarte Siempre, once again putting up with my ridiculously inaccessible student accommodation, because he had the very kind heart to come and watch the game with me. What game, you ask? Only the best thing to ever come out of a CoC.

Let's go on this journey of discovery together. Regardless of this, it's not one to be missed. Even in terms of actual Countdown, if you're the kind of person who cares about that.
Thomas, it was just simply pure, pure bad luck that Zarte had to deliver that massive blow. You did, however fight back to the best of your abilities by trying to close the gap which was what happened and you don't go home empty-handed if I exclude the "piece of Kryptonite". You can also go home proudly by saying that you have the 2nd highest losing score on the show ever. 122 would, in almost all circumstances be a win but sadly it's not today and with that, all the Series 73 contestants have been eliminated in this Championship as well. :( However, in defeat, this is the bittersweet moment, where you made history with one of the best Countdowners in the modern era and there's no shame in losing to him. :) You're lucky to be friends with Zarte and I hope you'll cherish and remember the events of today for the rest of your life.

Overall, it was an excellent collaboration and battle that turned out to be far beyond what I've anticipated. I've been watching Countdown for six years since the 30th Birthday Championship ended, and to be honest today's game, was the BEST I'VE EVER WATCHED IN MY LIFE! ;) 17 January 2019 will be a day that everyone in the community will never forget for many days, months and years to come. This game is definitely a 101/100 on my scale that's for sure! :D

So, we're down to the last four, and guess what, the Semi-Finals are Rematches of both the S77 and S78 Grand Finals except there's one thing: Role Reversal once again! Oh wait, no, that's not the only thing: Series Reversal so...Philip vs Zarte x3 installed for the next match!! Second time this has only ever happened! (Seriously how many times do I have to watch them play?) If both can pull off a stunning performance like what happened in June 2018 that would be jaw dropping, and will it be third time's a charm for the former? Just three more episodes to go!

Progress:
Preliminary #1 (02 January): Jonathan Wynn (Series 73 Grand Champion) vs Phil Davies (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (103 - 68)
Preliminary #2 (03 January): Ann Dibben (Series 74 Runner-Up) vs John Cowen (Series 77 Semi-Finalist) (94 - 97)
Preliminary #3 (04 January): Matthew Tassier (Series 73 Runner-Up) vs Dougie Mackay (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (96 - 78)
Preliminary #4 (07 January): Thomas Carey (Series 73 Semi-Finalist) vs Stephen Read (Series 76 Grand Champion) (106 - 87)
Preliminary #5 (08 January): Paul Erdunast (Series 74 Grand Champion) vs Zarte Siempre (Series 78 Grand Champion) (105 - 113)
Preliminary #6 (09 January): Tom Chafer-Cook (Series 77 Grand Champion) vs Martin Hurst (Series 75 Grand Champion) (129 - 89)
Preliminary #7 (10 January): Bradley Horrocks (Series 77 Runner-Up) vs Andrew Macleod (Series 75 Runner-Up) (128 - 104)
Preliminary #8 (11 January): Philip Aston (Series 78 Runner-Up) vs Noel McIlvenny (Series 77 Semi-Finalist) (103 - 89)
Quarter-Finals #1 (14 January): Jonathan Wynn (Preliminary #1 Winner) vs Philip Aston (Preliminary #8 Winner) (92 - 110)
Quarter-Finals #2 (15 January): John Cowen (Preliminary #2 Winner) vs Bradley Horrocks (Preliminary #7 Winner) (96 - 99)
Quarter-Finals #3 (16 January): Matthew Tassier (Preliminary #3 Winner) vs Tom Chafer-Cook (Preliminary #6 Winner) (62 - 111)
Quarter-Finals #4 (17 January): Thomas Carey (Preliminary #4 Winner) vs Zarte Siempre (Preliminary #5 Winner) (122 - 150) (RECORD!!!)
Semi-Finals #1 (18 January): Philip Aston (Quarter-Finals #1 Winner) vs Zarte Siempre (Quarter-Finals #4 Winner) <- Series 78E038 + GF REMATCH
Semi-Finals #2 (21 January): Bradley Horrocks (Quarter-Finals #2 Winner) vs Tom Chafer-Cook (Quarter-Finals #3 Winner) <- Series 77 GF REMATCH
Championship Final (22 January): (Semi-Finals #1 Winner) vs (Semi-Finals #2 Winner)
Last edited by Ryan Lam on Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phyl Styles
Acolyte

Post by Phyl Styles »

The highest ever score on Countdown and the highest combined score ever! And this is not even the Championship Final yet!
On the wiki it says: The aggregate score of 272 is also the joint highest in the history of the show - if that is true what is the other 272?
All that aside, a tremendous game, and congratulations, both!
Last edited by Phyl Styles on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Phyl Styles wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:41 pm
On the wiki it says: The aggregate score of 272 is also the joint highest in the history of the show - if that is true what is the other 272?
All that aside, a tremendous game, and congratulations, both!
It's an error on my part, I've corrected it. I was rushing to get this out as I know many people are dying to see how it went. :oops:
Phyl Styles
Acolyte

Post by Phyl Styles »

Thank you!
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

BEST GAME EVER!!!!!! Zarte congratulations. I hold you in even higher esteem than I did before and that is saying something. Whatever happens mate, you are a countdown legend. You are my countdown idol. Good luck against Philip tomorrow.

Tom congrats for doing as well as you did. Tiramisus was an very good spot and your games were all fun to watch. Bad luck man.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

If Zarte had been any good he could have got 168.

Someone needed to say it.
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

What an absolutely amazing game. Commiserations to Tom who played superbly, and to Zarte for getting the highest ever score! (Despite dropping pts on a round!). With the greatest of respect to the remaining candidates, I cannot see Mr Siempre being surpassed at all, but we shall see........
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:22 pm If Zarte had been any good he good have got 168.

Someone needed to say it.
Mate, you're not even good enough to go on the show.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:22 pm If Zarte had been any good he good have got 168.

Sure. But preferably someone who can say it without fucking it up

"any good he good"

Waste.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Anyway, thanks everyone! Will say more when not on my mobile with fat thumbs.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:36 pm Anyway, thanks everyone! Will say more when not on my mobile with fat thumbs.
What he said but without the thumbs. My thumbs are top class. Cheers for all the love/support, am very happy with that game <3
cheers maus
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:34 pm

Sure. But preferably someone who can say it without fucking it up

"any good he good"

Waste.
What? Your quoting function obviously doesn't work.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:48 pm What? Your quoting function obviously doesn't work.
Bit like your hiding the edit you just made function.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Cannot find words to express how amazing that was. Some people think that winning Olympic gold is the best achievement, some winning Wimbledon...but we all know the real pinnacle of awesomeness is holding the record score in a game of Countdown ;)

Awesome game both, really fun to watch (who won the rock paper scissors overall?). Terrific sports both of you.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:03 pm
Awesome game both, really fun to watch (who won the rock paper scissors overall?). Terrific sports both of you.
Rock paper scissors was tied (WDDL from my perspective). Since we had a rematch here after I'd won, I think it's only fair we get more goes at the countdown...
cheers maus
Ian Birdman

Post by Ian Birdman »

Wowza!!

I wasn't intending to really comment after CoC had finished but how fantastic was that!?!

You know it's going to be good when one of my friends (who's on holiday in Spain) screenshot me a picture of the final scores when I was at work - apparently Spanish telly has some British channels. Needless to say I was thoroughly, thoroughly unimpressed with the spoilers, but anyway...

Superb game played between 2 amazing players, and I think the fact that the game was obviously played in such a great spirit really added to the spectre of it all. Pleasure to watch. Cheers gentlemen - we are not worthy :-)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:53 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:48 pm What? Your quoting function obviously doesn't work.
Bit like your hiding the edit you just made function.
If you must know, I was on my mobile with my fat thumbs.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

(But anyway, I did enjoy that game. It was decent enough.)

I did think it was funny that Susie thought TIRAMISUS might have been slightly contentious though. The restaurant rule is so deeply ingrained into Countdown culture that I don't think anyone else would have wondered about whether the plural was allowed.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

What a cracking game that was by you both !
I had the pleasure of witnessing this game in the studios by two people I love and respect both as friends and competitors, Thomas you played brilliant and 122 is an excellent score, Zarte you were outstanding and 150 will stay for many moons, this is the best game of countdown I have ever seen by two fabulous players. It was a pleasure to watch, you should be proud of what you have achieved, give yourselves a huge pat on the back for the most entertaining game to ever grace our screens.
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

That'll do pig, that'll do.
Pure class.

That TIRAMISUS twist keeping the game alive as a contest helped boost the excitement levels coming in to the home straight.
And the game of rock/paper/scissors (or scissors/paper/stone if you like...) certainly gets my seal of approval as an appropriate manner in which to conduct oneself during a solve-at-first-sight numbers! :mrgreen:
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

Huge congratulations on the breaking the record Z! Extraordinary play from you both! Definitely going down in the history books! :D

Slightly annoyed though that my mum found out the result before we watched it and spoiled it for me at the last second! :(
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Just yesterday I was thinking that 146 was probably safe for ever because of the limited opportunities for all the required pieces of the jigsaw to fit together.

Kudos to Nick for letting Zarte know that 150 is a new record, otherwise the loud cheering from the audience might have seemed really confusing to him.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:10 pm If you must know, I was on my mobile with my fat thumbs.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

The rock paper scissors contest was probably the greatest thing I've ever seen live in the studio, and the rest of the match wasn't bad either.

Incredible play by both of you, particularly Zarte for breaking the all time record. It's a pity that the back to back nines in rounds four and five as good as ended the game as a contest, although Tom did give himself a glimmer of hope with the excellent TIRAMISUS. It was such an honour to witness history being made in a match high in quality and spirit, definitely one of my favourite episodes of all time. Thank you both for a wonderful spectacle! :D :)
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Congratulations, both of you. Such a great game, people still talk about it to this day.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

WOW!!! Just seen this bloody amazing game. Many many congrats Zarte on the new world record :D Well done Thomas also on an amazing runner-up score. 8-)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

146 is a different record really, as it’s a different format.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:39 am 146 is a different record really, as it’s a different format.
Yes.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Well it beats Glen Webb's 141.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...