Spoilers for Wednesday 16th January (COC XV, QF 3)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Spoilers for Wednesday 16th January (COC XV, QF 3)

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

The winner gets the delight of playing me! Matthew Tassier in c1 (Carey's nemesis who is normally here) vs mine, Tom Chafer-Cook. Nemesis might be a strong word :P
Should be a good game.
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 16th January (COC XV, QF 3)

Post by Thomas Carey »

Yep. Everyone said Tom to win, but Tass has been known to cause upsets against Toms before...
cheers maus
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

75*10+(8+8)*6 in R6.
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

Ray Wilding wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:30 pm 75*10+(8+8)*6 in R6.
Had the same one before RR got hers.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I got to 845 very easily with (75 + 8 + 8 - 6) x 10 - 5. Surprised Tom didn’t see this!
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

(((8+7)*6)+2+1)*7 = 651 in R3
((75+8/8)*(6+5))+10 in R6 as well
(8*8*7)-6-4 in R9
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Third Quarter-Finals Match where I correctly predicted in both cases who would come through to fight today. And for R6, some of us on the daily chat (Not just me so I can't take full credit for this) found an easier solution compared to Rachel's: (75 × 10) + ((8 + 8) × 6)

Brilliant start from Tom with APHONIA and later on with ADORNATE and OIDIUM! (In fact, those on the daily chat commented that at this rate he might as well be Lexplorer :P) Not to mention OPERATEES which made the situation for Matthew from bad to worse! :( And the numbers were a tricky set on both of you too, unlucky that both of you were struggling in the first two occasions.
Thomas Carey wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:18 pm Yep. Everyone said Tom to win, but Tass has been known to cause upsets against Toms before...
Unfortunately on this occasion, Matthew has failed to cause an upset against this Tom, he was simply too strong and after that niner it was pretty much over for you. Oh well, but hey at least you got APNOEA and APATITE as a consolation and more importantly, there's no shame in losing to someone who has the potential to go on to become the next Champion. After all, I in fact also concede, he's just too strong in his letters to the point he scored the Max for all those rounds! Don't worry, look on the bright side, at least there's still at least one Series 73 player still in the Championship as of this point.
Bradley Horrocks wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:12 pm The winner gets the delight of playing me! Matthew Tassier in c1 (Carey's nemesis who is normally here) vs mine, Tom Chafer-Cook. Nemesis might be a strong word :P
Should be a good game.
Congratulations Tom, you now get to fight Bradley and guess what? It's REMATCH time #2, this time on the Series 77 Grand Final! Will Tom give all of us at home the scare of our lives like what happened in the Conundrum? I'll probably have the weekend (plus my University Tutorials) to think about it...Bradley certainly has an uphill battle on his hand next Monday after what we saw today.

Quarter-Finals #4, the last set tomorrow, with #1 Seeds in both Series 73 and 78 playing off. Let's see who is going to give a hard time to the other player (or not). Can Thomas pull off an upset against the highest Xicount Zarte? Will we see a third rematch and a shutoff of all Series 73 contestants or not in both cases? Find out who will be the remaining four!

Progress:
Preliminary #1 (02 January): Jonathan Wynn (Series 73 Grand Champion) vs Phil Davies (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (103 - 68)
Preliminary #2 (03 January): Ann Dibben (Series 74 Runner-Up) vs John Cowen (Series 77 Semi-Finalist) (94 - 97)
Preliminary #3 (04 January): Matthew Tassier (Series 73 Runner-Up) vs Dougie Mackay (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (96 - 78)
Preliminary #4 (07 January): Thomas Carey (Series 73 Semi-Finalist) vs Stephen Read (Series 76 Grand Champion) (106 - 87)
Preliminary #5 (08 January): Paul Erdunast (Series 74 Grand Champion) vs Zarte Siempre (Series 78 Grand Champion) (105 - 113)
Preliminary #6 (09 January): Tom Chafer-Cook (Series 77 Grand Champion) vs Martin Hurst (Series 75 Grand Champion) (129 - 89)
Preliminary #7 (10 January): Bradley Horrocks (Series 77 Runner-Up) vs Andrew Macleod (Series 75 Runner-Up) (128 - 104)
Preliminary #8 (11 January): Philip Aston (Series 78 Runner-Up) vs Noel McIlvenny (Series 77 Semi-Finalist) (103 - 89)
Quarter-Finals #1 (14 January): Jonathan Wynn (Preliminary #1 Winner) vs Philip Aston (Preliminary #8 Winner) (92 - 110)
Quarter-Finals #2 (15 January): John Cowen (Preliminary #2 Winner) vs Bradley Horrocks (Preliminary #7 Winner) (96 - 99)
Quarter-Finals #3 (16 January): Matthew Tassier (Preliminary #3 Winner) vs Tom Chafer-Cook (Preliminary #6 Winner) (62 - 111)
Quarter-Finals #4 (17 January): Thomas Carey (Preliminary #4 Winner) vs Zarte Siempre (Preliminary #5 Winner)
Semi-Finals #1 (18 January): Philip Aston (Quarter-Finals #1 Winner) vs (Quarter-Finals #4 Winner)
Semi-Finals #2 (21 January): Bradley Horrocks (Quarter-Finals #2 Winner) vs Tom Chafer-Cook (Quarter-Finals #3 Winner) <- Series 77 GF REMATCH
Championship Final (22 January): (Semi-Finals #1 Winner) vs (Semi-Finals #2 Winner)
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:33 pm I got to 845 very easily with (75 + 8 + 8 - 6) x 10 - 5. Surprised Tom didn’t see this!
Much easier to sit at home and say this though - in the studio with the intense pressure, I wouldn't exactly say it's really all that bad a miss.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Tom's letters today were absolutely superb - 10/10 maxes, and with 2 nicer numbers games it would have been a max game. Very well played sir :)

Tass wasn't playing badly either - no shame in losing there at all.
Matthew Tassier
Acolyte

Post by Matthew Tassier »

Thanks Elliott, feel much better knowing that Tom's letters were perfect. Missed a couple of easy ones (OPERATES, SOAPIER/PROXIES), misdeclared a numbers, chickened APHONIA, and ADORNATE and OIDIUM are in my repertoire on a very good day, but still all of that would have left me short, Tom was excellent. Wasn't aware that OPERATEES was valid.

Might have got clobbered, but was still rather fun!
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Matthew Tassier wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:34 pm Thanks Elliott, feel much better knowing that Tom's letters were perfect. Missed a couple of easy ones (OPERATES, SOAPIER/PROXIES), misdeclared a numbers, chickened APHONIA, and ADORNATE and OIDIUM are in my repertoire on a very good day, but still all of that would have left me short, Tom was excellent. Wasn't aware that OPERATEES was valid.

Might have got clobbered, but was still rather fun!
I did similar to you on that numbers round. Got one away but wasn't sure whether it was 651 or 653 after the 30 seconds.