Spoilers for Monday 14th January 2019 (COC XV, QF 1)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Monday 14th January 2019 (COC XV, QF 1)

Post by Thomas Carey »

Will Jonathan Wynn? Will Philip Aston-ish? Will I actually manage to post something decent? All this and more will be revealed in this, the FIRST COC QUARTER FINAL.

Predictions: 88.24% of you thought Jonathan would win, with Philip getting the rest of the votes. Can't really do margins anymore because people are thinking different players and stuff.
cheers maus
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers for Monday 14th January 2019 (COC XV, QF 1)

Post by Ryan Lam »

First Quarter-Finals Match where I correctly predicted in both cases who would come through to fight today. (P.S. I will reveal all my Predictions after the Championship Final ends in the Polling Thread and who did I predict will make it to the QF, SF and the CF in all subsequent reviews.)

Philip absolutely delivered a grand opening, with GAMESTER and AELUROIDS! Unlucky Jonathan, the latter was more than enough to deal the severe blow to make it near impossible to recover with the 26 point deficit. :( In fact, Philip did disclose in the daily chat that the original take had Jonathan showing him the word since he pronounced it the same, but because of the spotted misspelling it had to be reshot with Susie asking. :( You did recover by a bit with HONORIAL but with CECIL going hard on both of you in R9 and ridiculously easy in R14, this definitely wasn't the comeback you were hoping for. Hey, at least you made it this far into the Championship and ended off hilariously like some contestants do from time to time. :lol: I'm sure you'd be cheering on for your other two Series' mates as they battle to get a place in the Semi-Finals! As for Philip, well done and if Zarte wins Thursday's match, dun dun dun...can both of you make history again by having to face each other thrice? (This only has ever happened once in 35 Years+...)

With that, we have had all but two of the Grand Champions knocked out already, this is insane! We'll wait and see how the remaining two will get on but coming up first, It's an anticipated Rematch of Series 77 Semi-Finals #2, but hang on, it's role reversal just like what Philip and Zarte faced last year. John is seated where Bradley was and vice versa on that fateful day in December 2017 on-screen. Could John be second time lucky by just being in that seat or will he be twice unlucky? The vice versa of course applies to Bradley, hopefully John can force a crucial unlike the last time round...

Progress:
Preliminary #1 (02 January): Jonathan Wynn (Series 73 Grand Champion) vs Phil Davies (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (103 - 68)
Preliminary #2 (03 January): Ann Dibben (Series 74 Runner-Up) vs John Cowen (Series 77 Semi-Finalist) (94 - 97)
Preliminary #3 (04 January): Matthew Tassier (Series 73 Runner-Up) vs Dougie Mackay (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (96 - 78)
Preliminary #4 (07 January): Thomas Carey (Series 73 Semi-Finalist) vs Stephen Read (Series 76 Grand Champion) (106 - 87)
Preliminary #5 (08 January): Paul Erdunast (Series 74 Grand Champion) vs Zarte Siempre (Series 78 Grand Champion) (105 - 113)
Preliminary #6 (09 January): Tom Chafer-Cook (Series 77 Grand Champion) vs Martin Hurst (Series 75 Grand Champion) (129 - 89)
Preliminary #7 (10 January): Bradley Horrocks (Series 77 Runner-Up) vs Andrew Macleod (Series 75 Runner-Up) (128 - 104)
Preliminary #8 (11 January): Philip Aston (Series 78 Runner-Up) vs Noel McIlvenny (Series 77 Semi-Finalist) (103 - 89)
Quarter-Finals #1 (14 January): Jonathan Wynn (Preliminary #1 Winner) vs Philip Aston (Preliminary #8 Winner) (92 - 110)
Quarter-Finals #2 (15 January): John Cowen (Preliminary #2 Winner) vs Bradley Horrocks (Preliminary #7 Winner) <- Series 77 SF2 REMATCH
Quarter-Finals #3 (16 January): Matthew Tassier (Preliminary #3 Winner) vs Tom Chafer-Cook (Preliminary #6 Winner)
Quarter-Finals #4 (17 January): Thomas Carey (Preliminary #4 Winner) vs Zarte Siempre (Preliminary #5 Winner)
Semi-Finals #1 (18 January): Philip Aston (Quarter-Finals #1 Winner) vs (Quarter-Finals #4 Winner)
Semi-Finals #2 (21 January): (Quarter-Finals #2 Winner) vs (Quarter-Finals #3 Winner)
Championship Final (22 January): (Semi-Finals #1 Winner) vs (Semi-Finals #2 Winner)
Last edited by Ryan Lam on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Terrific play from both today - especially Philip but also to Jonathan, you've been terrific to watch and a great sportsman until the end. No shame in losing to Philip at all.
Chris Wylie

Post by Chris Wylie »

I looked up the definition of aeluroid and this revealed that the plural of aeluroid is aeluroidae. I could not find the plural with an ‘s’. Is aeluroids specified in the dictionary Suzie uses? If so, can someone explain why I couldn’t find it on the internet? My hubby and I are very much enjoying the Champion of Champions run of Countdown.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I think it says than an aeluroid is part of the aeluroidae family, rather than being its singular as such...?
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Mike Daysley
Series 79 Champion

Post by Mike Daysley »

Great game again from both players, the early 9 letter made it hard for Jonathan but were both brilliant til the end.