Spoilers for Monday 7th January 2019 (COC XV, game 4)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Monday 7th January 2019 (COC XV, game 4)

Post by Thomas Carey »

It's time for everyone's least favourite socially inept little boffin to return to the screens - and I'm not talking about Stephen Read. Watch me take on the champion, only COC representative and complete dominator of series 76.

Predictions - 53% of you bastards thought Stephen would win, with an average point margin of just 2.76 in his favour. Can we actually make it that close or will I bottle it again? Let's find out together.
cheers maus
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Monday 7th January 2019 (COC XV, game 4)

Post by Owen Carroll »

I may have thought Stephen would win. But I've had reason to change my mind.
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

GAIATRIS was an amazing spot.
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Stephen R
Series 76 Champion

Post by Stephen R »

Fair enough, the lad done good. Better player won.

I chickened SIGNORIA, but that wouldn't have changed anything. The important thing is that we both got all the numbers games, so mathematics as a profession remains alive and well.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Maus dishing up some tough wallops there, GAIATRIS especially (wtf you madman). bad luck Stephen, you'll get your blue passport soon. proof of the big man little man combination working well together. cheers jen
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Really strong game. Commiserations to Stephen but congratulations to Tom on a stunning show. Best game we have seen so far in the tournament though if tomorrow's game lives up to expectation, then I think this game may be trumped!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Decent.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Well I hoped this was going to be a fun game and you betcha! Both contestants played well beyond expectations! Excellent spot from both, in particular NOWHAT from Stephen and GAIATRIS from Thomas! Excellent on grabbing all 40 Points in the Numbers as well!

With Stephen taking a tumble with the invalid words it almost looked like Thomas was going to win easily until the former came back with PIPEMAN to force the crucial. However, Thomas was the faster guy and took the day with a favourite Chemistry word of mine.
Stephen R wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:56 pm Fair enough, the lad done good. Better player won.

I chickened SIGNORIA, but that wouldn't have changed anything. The important thing is that we both got all the numbers games, so mathematics as a profession remains alive and well.
Commiserations Stephen, you were the only Series 76 contestant here after Moose Rosser (For those that are new or can't remember, he's the Runner-up of that Series) reportedly turned down the offer to be there and with that it's the end of the road. :( Tbf, you did mention in the daily chat at the time of filming Thomas was way better in the Apterous Rankings than you so just by that statement alone we all probably knew what was going to happen. Nevertheless, you did play to your best of your ability and that's what more important. Thank you for hosting the Daily Chat on Apterous and I hope you'll continue doing that for many years to come! :) As for Thomas, congratulations, so now we know half the line-up in the Quarter-Finals already. This also means all Series 73 players here have survived, an incredible feat!

Come tomorrow, it's the much-anticipated, ultimate battle and perhaps, the most controversial draw in this whole Championship. Two Series Champions battle out against each other and they're strong, extremely strong. However, one must go, but which one? You surely cannot miss this match! Majority of you voted in the poll here either of them will be crowned Champion, sadly someone has to be eliminated...
Thomas Carey wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:45 am Predictions - 53% of you bastards thought Stephen would win...
So I guess they're wrong. Oh well, close to the 52% vs 48% of the Brexit Vote eh? :lol: (P.S. Please don't insert anything political further down here...)

Progress:
Preliminary #1 (02 January): Jonathan Wynn (Series 73 Grand Champion) vs Phil Davies (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (103 - 68)
Preliminary #2 (03 January): Ann Dibben (Series 74 Runner-Up) vs John Cowen (Series 77 Semi-Finalist) (94 - 97)
Preliminary #3 (04 January): Matthew Tassier (Series 73 Runner-Up) vs Dougie Mackay (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (96 - 78)
Preliminary #4 (07 January): Thomas Carey (Series 73 Semi-Finalist) vs Stephen Read (Series 76 Grand Champion) (106 - 87)
Preliminary #5 (08 January): Paul Erdunast (Series 74 Grand Champion) vs Zarte Siempre (Series 78 Grand Champion)
Preliminary #6 (09 January): Tom Chafer-Cook (Series 77 Grand Champion) vs Martin Hurst (Series 75 Grand Champion)
Preliminary #7 (10 January): Bradley Horrocks (Series 77 Runner-Up) vs Andrew Macleod (Series 75 Runner-Up)
Preliminary #8 (11 January): Philip Aston (Series 78 Runner-Up) vs Noel McIlvenny (Series 77 Semi-Finalist)
Quarter-Finals #1 (14 January): Jonathan Wynn (Preliminary #1 Winner) vs (Preliminary #8 Winner)
Quarter-Finals #2 (15 January): John Cowen (Preliminary #2 Winner) vs (Preliminary #7 Winner)
Quarter-Finals #3 (16 January): Matthew Tassier (Preliminary #3 Winner) vs (Preliminary #6 Winner)
Quarter-Finals #4 (17 January): Thomas Carey (Preliminary #4 Winner) vs (Preliminary #5 Winner)
Semi-Finals #1 (18 January): (Quarter-Finals #1 Winner) vs (Quarter-Finals #4 Winner)
Semi-Finals #2 (21 January): (Quarter-Finals #2 Winner) vs (Quarter-Finals #3 Winner)
Championship Final (22 January): (Semi-Finals #1 Winner) vs (Semi-Finals #2 Winner)
Last edited by Ryan Lam on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

That was a fun game to watch. Bad luck Stephen but well done to tom. After seeing some of your games I actually feared for Stephen.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Fabulous game from both - really countdown at its best. NOWHAT and GAIATRIS were particularly impressive spots (anyone for a "best COC spots" thread?)
Both of you are great sports and create an enjoyable atmosphere - can see this COC really being one to remember!
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Cheers lads! Great fun. Stephen was an absolute legend all 3 days of the CoC (and was right behind me on the con!!)
cheers maus
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kate Humble teaching us how to start a pandemic with her aardvark story. This is what Rhys should be asking to be cut out! Not people offering the word "cough".