Spoilers for Wednesday 2 January 2019 (COC XV, game 1)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Wednesday 2 January 2019 (COC XV, game 1)

Post by Thomas Carey »

It's COC time! And kicking us off we have the guy who succeeded where I failed, series 73 wynner Jonathan Wynn versus thankfully not my local MP, series 78 semi finalist Phil Davies.

(I'll put stats here in a few hours I am so so tired happy new year everyone)

In Zarte's prediction game, EVERY PERSON guessed a win for JW with margins ranging from 5 to 60 points and an average margin of 30.73.
cheers maus
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 2 January 2019 (COC XV, game 1)

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

Thomas Carey wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:51 am

In Zarte's prediction game, EVERY PERSON guessed a win for JW with margins ranging from 5 to 60 points and an average margin of 30.73.
No pressure then!!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I got 922 in that one, (75 - 1) x 25 x 50 / 100 - 3.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Strong start, FOOTSURE would've meant it was still a max game come R14, so you might have been a bit pissed Jon to see him pick 6s!
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Excellent game chaps, a great way to start the New Year. :)
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Apto-magic for the Wynn!! Great start to the tourney despite the subpar max score and commiserations to Phil for being within striking distance for so long.

Got 828 in the fourth numbers game via (5*5-2)*9*4 I believe.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Jonathan Wynn
Series 73 Champion

Post by Jonathan Wynn »

Bradley Horrocks wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:54 pm Strong start, FOOTSURE would've meant it was still a max game come R14, so you might have been a bit pissed Jon to see him pick 6s!
Yeah, although tbf I'd probably have risked 'preorder' if I thought I was on for a max, which I was fully expecting them to say was in after I stuck with 7. Would have liked to gotten the con but other than that decent start, can't complain :).

Phil was a solid opponent and it took a good while to break away (hence my deliberately awkward picking later on) so v well played to him too.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Well done Jonathan. Great start for the coc. Commiserations Phil. Must be hard facing 2 900 club members in a row.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Was a CoC worthy game. Well played to Jonathan who came up with some strong spots on both fronts, and commiserations to Phil, in a game which I believed deserved a closer scoreline. I can equally sympathise Phil given the fact that I suffered a similar fate to Phil versus Jonathan in the sense that I got to about R11 and stopped scoring from there :) Look forward to seeing more in store tomorrow.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Absolutely stunning performance from Wynn there, hardly putting a foot wrong and not being too far from a max. Commiserations to Phil though, who also produced a very respectable performance.

((5*5-2)*9+1)*4 for 832, not that it really matters though.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Excellent game from Jonathan who we last saw some 3.5 years ago! Unlucky that FOOTSURE was in though... :( But hey, if there's one thing, it proves that you haven't lost your footing! See you in the Quarter-Finals! As for Phil, you played spectacularly too, having last saw you some six months ago, but unfortunately, the Series Champion had the advantage all the way and I'm sorry that Nick had to say that someone had to go at the start of the show and it's you. :( (Tbh, I found that very distasteful, it's not like they're average contestants.)

Up tomorrow, it's going to be a good match, a Female contestant (Yes, we need more!!) vs an expertise in "6 Small", let's see if the Runner-Up or another Semi-Finalist will go through. :)

(P.S. To those on the Daily Chat, sorry for breaking my promise of not being there, some family issue popped up last minute that prevented my presence...)

Progress:
Preliminary #1 (02 January): Jonathan Wynn (Series 73 Grand Champion) vs Phil Davies (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (103 - 68)
Preliminary #2 (03 January): Ann Dibben (Series 74 Runner-Up) vs John Cowen (Series 77 Semi-Finalist)
Preliminary #3 (04 January): Matthew Tassier (Series 73 Runner-Up) vs Dougie Mackay (Series 78 Semi-Finalist)
Preliminary #4 (07 January): Thomas Carey (Series 73 Semi-Finalist) vs Stephen Read (Series 76 Grand Champion)
Preliminary #5 (08 January): Paul Erdunast (Series 74 Grand Champion) vs Zarte Siempre (Series 78 Grand Champion)
Preliminary #6 (09 January): Tom Chafer-Cook (Series 77 Grand Champion) vs Martin Hurst (Series 75 Grand Champion)
Preliminary #7 (10 January): Bradley Horrocks (Series 77 Runner-Up) vs Andrew Macleod (Series 75 Runner-Up)
Preliminary #8 (11 January): Philip Aston (Series 78 Runner-Up) vs Noel McIlvenny (Series 77 Semi-Finalist)
Quarter-Finals #1 (14 January): Jonathan Wynn (Preliminary #1 Winner) vs (Preliminary #8 Winner)
Quarter-Finals #2 (15 January): (Preliminary #2 Winner) vs (Preliminary #7 Winner)
Quarter-Finals #3 (16 January): (Preliminary #3 Winner) vs (Preliminary #6 Winner)
Quarter-Finals #4 (17 January): (Preliminary #4 Winner) vs (Preliminary #5 Winner)
Semi-Finals #1 (18 January): (Quarter-Finals #1 Winner) vs (Quarter-Finals #4 Winner)
Semi-Finals #2 (21 January): (Quarter-Finals #2 Winner) vs (Quarter-Finals #3 Winner)
Championship Final (22 January): (Semi-Finals #1 Winner) vs (Semi-Finals #2 Winner)
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Thomas Carey wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:51 am In Zarte's prediction game, EVERY PERSON guessed a win for JW with margins ranging from 5 to 60 points and an average margin of 30.73.
Maus has taken over prediction game as I have too much to do atm, so if you ask kindly he might give you updates.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Thomas Carey wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:51 am In Zarte's prediction game, EVERY PERSON guessed a win for JW with margins ranging from 5 to 60 points and an average margin of 30.73.
My predictions of the winner and margin were entirely based on random dice rolls. I'm calling this a win for me already.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:07 am
Maus has taken over prediction game as I have too much to do atm, so if you ask kindly he might give you updates.
Oh yeah, live updates. I'm keeping scores, can post them if you want, gimme a couple hours
cheers maus
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Graeme Cole wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:21 am My predictions of the winner and margin were entirely based on random dice rolls. I'm calling this a win for me already.
I'm curious... how did you use the dice to generate a margin?
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Thomas Carey wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:51 am It's COC time! And kicking us off we have the guy who succeeded where I failed, series 73 wynner Jonathan Wynn versus thankfully not my local MP, series 78 semi finalist Phil Davies.
You're not going to believe this, but Jonathan Wynn isn't my local MP, so between us we've got them both covered!
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Bradley Horrocks wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:35 pm
Graeme Cole wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:21 am My predictions of the winner and margin were entirely based on random dice rolls. I'm calling this a win for me already.
I'm curious... how did you use the dice to generate a margin?
For each game, I rolled two 10-sided dice of different colours. One die represented player 1, the other player 2, and whichever die was higher was the player I predicted to win. The margin I predicted was five times the difference in the values shown on the dice.

In the event that both die rolls showed the same number, I would have predicted a draw, then rolled another die to determine who would win the tiebreak - player 1 if odd and player 2 if even. But that didn't happen in any of the rolls.